Sign in to follow this  

What kind of lube should I use?

Easy now.....I'm talking my joystick...oops, easy again!Seriously, I have a CH Flight Yoke that is about 2 yrs old and I know I've seen someone post what type of lube you should ust to help get it like new again.Any help would be appreicated.Thanks,Carl

A couple months ago I saw discussion at CougarWorld about that. The Thrustmaster Cougar has metal bushings. Normal wear will leave powdery metal dust suspended in the lube. This gunk will scar the surfaces. Anyway, new Cougar users were cleaning out the dirty grease and repacking. I forget what lube they agreed was best.http://cougar.frugalsworld.com/index.php== WHK ==

I have used a graphite lubricant with much success. I've heard others to use a silicone base as well. No problems with either that I've heard of.Rick

It was posted on here about a year ago. A silicone based spray... I use one made by Pennzoil. Works like a charm! You should really do it once a month or so. You'd be amazed at the difference. I think if you use silicone it doesn't damage the plastic. EddieKSLC

Guest Toni Rauch

WD40 in a spray can (available in the UK and I believe parts of Europe)Works like a charm on the CH FlightSim yoke.Toni.

Guest GeorgeDorkofikis

For the CH Yokes, pedals and ALL the joysticks with plastic axles, it's highly recommended to use...:Pure VASELINE!!!! Yeap... That's right! Pure petrolioum vaseline is the best for plastics. It will not keep dust, it will lubricate very nicely and last for quite a long time. Make sure you don't aply too much, but cover the whole axle. If your yoke if off warranty, you can also open it up (carefully and make sure you place everything back the same way :-) ), and lubricate the inside moving parts too.Regards,George DorkofikisAthens, Greece

Guest Wichita

I took mine apart last night,and its only a few weeks old. I've tried every lube know to man with little success. Its pretty smooth when pulling back,but trying to do some nose down that is smooth is ridiculous. It's very sticky,jerky and a few other choice words.For those who have never seen the guts of these yokes,there are two springs attached to the yoke shaft and extend to the right and left to a post on each side. These two springs are pretty stout for no more than your trying to do. The yoke runs through three different plastic bushings,the two you see on the front and back and one more near the back that has the "key" that goes in that slot you see in the yoke coming out the back. That keyed part moves an arm right or left as you turn.I'm going to take one of the srings off and run over to Lowe's to buy a few different ones to experiment with. This thing has got to get smoother than what it is now....David

Good Ole' Dubbya"D" Forty!--------------Paul Meyerwww.KryptonAir.comwww.LAARTCC.org

I would not use WD40, this is a solvent not a lubricant and as such will weaken the plastic.Graphite is the better option.

Guest RiddlePilot

I've had mine for about a year and a half now and never lubed it, and it's still smooth as the day I got it. Guess I just got a good one. But I'll keep the sliocone lubricant and Vasoline in mind.

Thanks to all of those that replied :)I ended up trying the vasoline trick and it seemed to work just fine.I appreciate all the comments.Carl

Guest Wichita

Works like a dream now. Bought a couple of springs that are roughly the same diameter as stock ones but about 2" longer. I cut them off and redid the loop on the end to where there probably about 1" longer than the stock springs. Doesn't sound like much but that 1" reduces the tension quite a bit. While I had the whole thing open I used white lithium grease on the entire yoke shaft and the bushings. Its smooth as glass now...I don't know,maybe I got one that was made on a Monday...David