Sign in to follow this  

Whats the best AI program about?

Right i'm a novice in this field, but i've decided that i'm going to change my AI traffic from the default to something else more realistic.I've noticed that there is Project AI out, and other AI tools. BUT which one should i choose??I'm after having quite detailed aircraft of different liveries covering all of my local UK airports (especially London area) and europe. Preferably with the right AI a/c that is parked @ the right gate.I'm abit hessitant about Project AI as they are still adding liveries to their collection and also that they have routes still to include - so in short not as complete as i'd like it.There are other programs about (don't know which), allow you to add a/c of your choice, but do they also park at the correct gate at a chosen airport?I take it that ALL these programs require something called AFCAD (or a like) program which consists of real routings for a/c?Do these programs ONLY apply to GMAX a/c?I appreciate recommendations and links to obtain the best (even if they are dense) AI files etc.CheersWill

There are several ways to incorporate different AI into fs2002. Project AI provides the novice an easy way by installing a Base Installer and then individual airline installers. Using these installers will allow anyone to incorporate real life airline AI into FS2002.To take advantage of the above installers, many are increasing the number of gates in the default airports using a tool called AFCAD by Lee Swordy. If you don't want to make your own gate assignments, others have made them available in the AVSIM, Flightsim, and Project AI libraries.Lastly, Lee Swordy has made available TTools for manual insertion of AI aircraft. Several other tools have been developed to manage the AI aircraft and to repair problems. They are AITM from http://www.molitor-home.de/FS/AITM and yRoute from http://www.spacejock.com .On the main menu of this site is a AI Tutorial for download. Another download is traffic_tools_manual_101801.zip.

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. I've been using the MS SDK for the AI traffic, but have got a bit messed up at the moment, so have no AI traffic - but i'm working on it :-) The one thing I will say to start with is make a backup of your traffic and scenery files so that if you do mess up, you can go back to the originals - I have few timesAFCAD is used to create the runways, taxiways and parking spots at the airport.The TrafficTools program (V1.3 beta) is the program you need to decompile the traffic.bgl. You can then edit the text files it creates to create the flight plans and aircraft to use. You can also d/l some GUI software, can't remember there nams at the mo, but it's the documentation with TTools, to make the editing easier.As for aircraft, you can use any aircaft, be it FSDS or Gmax, but if you want to see the wheels and some other details, look for Gmax aircraft, and I would recommend using the PAI aircraft as they are frame rate friendly and look really good. I've got loads of european repaints from their unofficial d/l section.I myself have not used TTools yet so I'm not sure how easy it is to use, but plan to soon when I get some free time. Creating traffic files gets complicated when there are airport overlays so that AI traffic goes to the right parking spots - see some of DJPrevs pics from last week. Heathrow looked fine :-) I'm not planning on doing anything like that yet, but i'm trying to create realistic flight plans for BA operating out of Gatwick at the moment. So far i've edited G/S EGKK so that every parking spot is available, and now trying to program the flightplans.BTW, how's the studying/flying going?Cheers

Alaister Kay

TrafficTools will make FSDS planes AI, but lacking moving parts like gears and stuff. The best planes are easily Project Ai's very framerate friendly.AFCAD is a program that will add more gates and taxiways and runways to your airport. If you're lazy (like me) to make your own stuff, you can download loads of stuff from all the major FS sites.There are two ways to make AI go to the right gates. The first is overlays, one group of gates is desinated as one airport. But you have to change the flightplans for the aircraft to go to the correct gates (If in LHR T4 is 4GLL, you have to change all BA flightplans to go to 4GLL). But there is an easy way to do this, using AITM. One drawback is that when you recieve IFR clearance ATC wil say something like, 'Cleared to Four Golf Lima Lima as filed.'Another way is radius. Using AITM and AFCAD, you change the radius of the gates and the aircraft. So using AITM, change the aircraft radius minimum to the radius that you want the planes to go in the airport. I don't really like this way, I would rather use overlays to make AI go to the correct gates.Hope this helps! :)http://img2.ranchoweb.com/images/svedude/jpsig3.jpg

Cheers all for this info.Hmmm, this TrafficTools program (V1.3 beta) sounds quite interesting. As you say you can edit the file to assign a/c to your own flight plans. One of the things I would like to do is (especially for Gatwick), would be to create REAL SIDs/STARs routing and a/c in the holds (Holly, Willo, Timba for Gatwick). Also around Shoreham would be great, a/c in an overhead join @ 2000ft.Would this program deal with this, and i take it you can use any a/c with this as i think you said?I'll wait for a few more posting to see what other things people have to say, then I'll make my decision.Yea real flying is going good now, got around about 30hrs logged, and i'm going flying tomorrow to do steep turns (which will be fun, just don't eat much b 4 hand!) which consist of 45-60 deg. turns and pulling 2G's. I'll be then doing a few other minor things in the following weeks, then i'll be going onto cross-country and Navigational training. I passed my MET with 90% and now onto NAV. Currently using a book which is approx. 450 pages thick, and only on pg. 25 lol.Everyone has gone off to uni now which is real annoying, so i'm just gona stick my head down and get this PPL done for autumn/winter. After that i'll be looking @ going to a flying school and seeking sponsorship.L8trWill

Good to hear about the MET exam. I've receently been to the Britannia website, and they have been offering sponsorship placements for the BAe Jerez flight school, but I think that the application closing date is only a few days away.Anyway, back to the AI - Unfortunately in FS2002, AI traffic will only fly great circle routes to their destination, so you can't actually specify their route, or program any SIDs/Stars/holds. The aircraft get vectored around the airspace of the airports, but after that, they'll just fly straight to their destiantion.Cheers

Alaister Kay

Cheers for info Alaister.Funny you mention that about Malgus, because i was on their website yesterday doing the example questions, really hard. I'm NO way sponsorship standard @ the mo, if thats what they're after.I'll do abit of revision first then apply.You can find the questions under their "links" section on their website.Regards