Sign in to follow this  
michal

ILS - Annoying stuff in FS2002

I just hit two airports in a row where the ILS frequency of opposite ends of each runway was the same and in both cases, the aircraft kept on turning AWAY from the runway heading when APP was armed and activated as the a/c sought the reciprocal runway heading. One of these airports was KPDX which had a fix issued here this past week, but the fix does not work for me.This is not new to FS of course but it's too bad it hasn't been cured yet. Is there a general fix for this behavior or are we stuck with non-ILS approaches to such runways?JS

JS,You need to set your APP for "Back Course" and that should correct your wandering autopilot when approaching on the reciprocal runway heading. Bear!

Well, I just tried it into KPDX 28R and the back course worked to turn the a/c correctly, but there was no visible vertical guidance on the Nav display or activation of the glideslope. No glideslope scales appeared.This is really weird; there's other airports in the Pacific NW (like SeaTac and Boeing field) with runways that have the same ILS frequency at both ends and the ILS does not work at any of them. I don't get it. There is a fix for this that was uploaded this week but I've installed it and nothing works different or better. I'm trying to figure out what I've done wrong or what I am overlooking. The really weird thing is that some time ago, I was able to do a normal ILS approach in KPDX 28R and 10L using the front course and now I can never get it to work at all. Runway 28L was always screwy and that's apparently been fixed now. I am baffled by these glitches. Can anybody help out here?Thanks!JS

JSA couple of months ago, I downloaded a freeware file called Navaids1.zip, by Todd Burleson. It contained many fixes for the north regions of the U.S. and KPDX was one of them. I installed the fixes and haven't had any problems going into KPDX since then.It's still available at flightsim.comHope this helps,Bob

Bob:Thanks for your post. I just discovered that ZIP file 15 minutes ago and d/l the whole thing. KPDX is still a mess, I just don't get it. KSEA is also a royal mess. I have no idea what's going on with FS2002 and me now!I shall keep trying although I have been trying for ages this evening!JS

Guest Moghdad

There is no glideslope on a backcourse approach. If you happen to pick up a glideslope indication on the backcourse you should ignore it or you will probably crash. This is explained in one of the electronic articles that comes with FS2K2. I think it's called "Beating the Backcourse Blues."

Hmm.. last time I tried such a runway (at Sacramento International or at Salt Lake City) I had no problem with ILS approaches to either end of the runway.Michael J.