Sign in to follow this  

Some AI planes show current user's tail number

I should be grateful if anyone has experienced this problem (and even more so if you have a workaround/fix!):1. I start a flight with an aircraft showing a tail number.2. I land at an airport (or view AI planes using Ctrl+W) and some AI planes display exactly the same tail number as my plane! Not all AI planes do this, but I have noticed a couple of the default Cessna's and the Learjet do.3. I've tried flying without a tail number at all, and this fixes the problem some of the time, but I've noticed that some AI aircraft seem to retain a previous tail number (even though I've deleted or replaced all tail numbers from each plane's aircraft.config file).Any advice / suggestions please? Microsoft gave me the usual response of "This is a bug but we're not going to do anything about it". Which is why, I suppose, all default aircraft came with the same tail number (or maybe they didn't spot the bug because of this?).

The AI tail numbers are assigned in the flightplans. If an aircraft doesn't have a flight number assigned in the aircraft.cfg file, ATC will use the AI assigned tail number when talking to the aircraft (N641PW). If a flight number is assigned, ATC will talk to the aircraft using the aircraft call sign and flight number (American 1102).The tail number you may see on AI aircraft is either painted on the textures during design or imprinted on the aircraft using the aircraft tail number from the aircraft.cfg file. The first you cannot change, the latter you can change via the menu or manually in the aircraft.cfg file.Project AI doesn't support any tail numbers on their official downloads for this reason.

Thanks,However, In this case, as I said in my original post: Although the tail number and flight number are assigned in the aircraft.cfg file, these are NOT displayed by AI aircraft (ATC calls are fine). They use instead the aircraft.cfg tail number of the aircraft I happen to be flying. This applies not only to the aircraft type I'm flying, but also to other types (for example, I could be flying a Learjet, but see a Cessna with an identical tail number, as well as another Learjet).

Nigel....Yes you are right. This is true with the default traffic. I recently started using project AI and it doesn't happen any more. So there must be a way to turn them off.. although I have no Idea how.... er... :-)Pete

Thanks Pete!I have added my own AI traffic, and imported others, and it's still the same. I can understand how AI aircraft of the same type would show the same tail number as the aircraft I'm flying, but what's puzzling me is the fact that other types exhibit this behaviour. Therefore, it seems that the aircraft.cfg file for each aircraft doesn't necessarily determine the tail number that is displayed by AI traffic. If I can find out what does, then I'll be laughing!All part of the fun!;-)