Sign in to follow this  

Bumpy taxiway - LIRF holding short of 16R

Hi all,I'm having problems with a bumpy taxiway which, because of my realism settings, is causing damage to the aircraft causing it to "crash".The airport in question is the default FS2002 Rome Fiumicino and the problem area is just short of the holding point to 16R. Other taxiways seem okay (as does the rest of this one) although I don't use those as often.I have Italy terrain mesh scenery installed but switching this off has no effect and the problem persists.Can anyone else replicate this problem? If so, then an exclude file might be the answer to flatten the area in question.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Guest CapnCol

I have this also on a few taxiways. Particular ones that spring to mind are East Midlands (when taxying to R9), Mauritius (taxying to R14) and Skavska (taxying to R8). There are others (not too many) but I can't remember at the moment. The strange thing is that it only seems to happen when taxying to the runway, never when taxying off it. Also the bigger the plane, the less likely the damage.Q - How do "exclude files" work?Colin

Hi Colin,Thanks for confirming other airports suffer from this. Maybe if MS had decided on a patch it could have been resolved but as it is an exclude file will have to do.Exclude files are a hangover from previous versions of FS where you wanted to overlay a default airport with a new customised one. You determine the area that you want to "exclude" in the default scenery and by supplying the NE and SW lat/lon points into a program written by Pete Dowson it would create a BGL file that once placed in a scenery folder will blank out the default scenery allowing your new custom scenery to lay on top of the default without both showing through.An exclude file is not needed now because the same effect can be achieved with extra parameters in a scenery layer in SCENERY.CFG for the area in question. I'm hoping this will have the effect of flattening the taxiway thus preventing the crashing. I'll experiment and see if it will work.BTW, I was flying a 767 when it happened so I don't think the size of aircraft matters.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've experienced this too at a few airports in Sweden in my Fokker 50. Nice to know that I'm not alone!

The bumpy taxiways don't have a smoothing function under them. You could use any number of scenery design tools, Airport for Windows, FSSC, etc. to incorporate a small scenery *.bgl to correct the problem.Since Page C. Cline indicates his runway apron fix list is getting short, maybe he'll do a taxiway fix if you give him the airport name, and the LAT/LON of the taxiway in question.

Hi,Thanks for this info but who is the mysterious Page C Cline and how can I and others contact him?Regards,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,Apart from the mesh/elevation apron and runway bumps there is another phenomenon which FS2000 and Fs2002 have in this regard:- With lighter aircraft, there is a tendency to suspension instability whilst taxiing in a tail or cross wind. We had this problem with the Falcon 50 and after a lot of experimenting I discovered it is made worse by one of the pitch stability parameters in the airfiles. The higher the pitch stab, and lighter the aircraft, plus the greater the wind speed, the more it happens.If this happens to you with no wind enabled it is I'm sure scenery related. If it happens in a tail wind it is airfile related, or possibly both. Best Regards,Rob Young

Hi Rob,Nice to hear from you again. Seems like only yesterday we had that mammoth thread on FS Forum regarding stutters!! Nice to know they're still with us albeit greatly reduced.I'm sure this problem is related to the terrain because if I turn left slightly earlier (about 80ft) and taxi parallel to the final part of the taxiway leading to the holding point for 16R at LIRF the problem disappears. It's almost like the taxiway smoothing has been displaced.I use the Wilco 767-300 all the time now so I wouldn't have thought that aircraft would have been affected by such a light wind. It was 220/08 at the time.Many thanks for your thoughts on this.Regards,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Search the library for Cline's name and you will find his apron fixes files. I think he has his contact point in the file.

Hi,I did and found his file. It doesn't include LIRF so I'll contact him and see what he can do.Thanks once again.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hey... I have experienced this using the POSKY aircraft, especially the A330 and Wilco's Airport 2000 v.3 scenery... no fix that I know ofJohn-PaulToronto

You have read the rest of the threads have you? Download aprnfix6.zip and all will be explained.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I was about to post a message on this issue... I had this problem with POSKY planes taxxing in Sydney, Australia... the plane started bumping and then the front landing gear collapsed...

I tried taxiing onto 16R at LIRF using both original 767PIC and POSKY aircraft and things were slightly less bouncy with the original. On this occasion I was able to taxi onto the runway with both aircraft by keeping the speed down to around 5kts.There's obviously a problem here with many airports but requests to Page C Cline highlighting the problem taxiways should help.I would ask everyone who is experiencing this problem to contact Page.Regards,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Hi Ray,The "mysterious" Page C. Cline here. I'll take a look at LIRF and see what this bumpy taxiway is all about. Might be fixable. If it is, then I'll post what I find here.