Sign in to follow this  

Anyone succeeded to download Weather Maker Personal Edi

Guest Claviateur

Hello,I try to download this program but the web site is very slow and the download speed drops down to 150 bytes/sec and then it freezes or it cancels automatically. I have a cable internet connection. Any idea if its me or the server? Anyone got it ?ThanksMichel

Hi Michel,I downloaded it yesterday and it works very well. It took about 30 minutes with a 1.5kbs cable modem, so the site is woefully underpowered. I am sure the authors never expected the response.I have not had a chance to evaluate it in detail, but it does "talk" to FS2002. BobP :)

I've got it after 20 min with DSL connection. The program is ok and worth it to try out.

Guest Claviateur

Thanks for the replies. Its been an hour or so an I still cant get it to finish downloading. Too slow and it seems frozen now :( I wish there was a mirror site to get itCheersMichel

Now that I finally have a cable modem, I have just ordered FS Meteo 5.2. Provided you have a constant internet connection, doesn't FS Meteo periodically update your weather with the current weather in the location in which you are flying?I'm not sure I understand the advantage of Weather Maker Personal over FS Meteo with a continually connected modem. Could someone clarify this for me?Thanks, Steve J.

There is no advantage Steve. FSMeteo is a much better choice fi you want an all-around weather experience. With FSMeteo you get the real weather updated every six minutes (that's the default - it's adjustable) as you fly along. With Weather Maker you're getting artificial weather conditions. FSMeteo also gives you winds aloft data which the other doesn't do at all. Etc. But....Weather Maker is free and it works pretty well. I played with it some and it's a good option if you don't need, or want, the real thing.Trip

Guest Claviateur

Thanks Malves, I finally succeeded to downlaod it but when I run setup, at one point it tells me that some of my system files are out of date and that it should update them and restarts the PC before running setup again. I did that but after the reboot I run setup again and same message. I did the update nad restart twice and it keeps telling me that some system files are old etc...Anyone got this? I use Win METhanksMichel

I'm having the same problem and also run WinMe. It I let it reboot my computer it locks it up. If I reboot manually the computer restarts okay but I get the same message over and over. My guess is they didn't beta test it on an ME system. Mine has been absolutely stable with zero problems on anything else so I'm not willing to "upgrade" my OS. Guess I'll wait 'till they iron it out.Paul

>I'm not sure I understand the advantage of Weather Maker >Personal over FS Meteo with a continually connected modem. >Could someone clarify this for me? It's apples and oranges really, they both have different uses. FS Meteo is great for getting the current real world weather into FS. But what if the area you want to fly in has really dull weather right now? Weather Maker will let you set up a dynamic weather situation anywhere you want it.Both are very useful but neither would replace the other.Clyde

I hope they improved the program since I beta tested their first version. What turned me off was the fact that the program seemed to have no effect on the visibility - one of the main ingredients of the aviation weather. It was all about the "thunder" and some passing clouds, nothing else. I experimented with dew point, temperature settings and was still getting very little overall variety. Michael J.

On my first flight with it, I had the dew point within 2 degrees of the temp and the visibility during my departure was pretty low. I didn't check it, but it seemed to be around 1-2 miles. The weather cleared up from then on but the visibility didn't get much more than 10 miles for the rest of the flight.Clyde