Sign in to follow this  
Guest bones

UK mesh - a simple comparison

Guest alanrco

I've used both Visual Flight and Lago mesh scenery for the UK for a short while so, to help anyone thinking of purchasing these, see the attached picture.I live in East Anglia so this region is important to me.The top 3 pictures are of where Hunstanton, Norfolk would be as you enter The Wash. As you can see, only Visual Flight shows some elevation where the cliffs would be. This might be important when they release the photo scenery shortly as these cliffs are made up of red and white chalky rock. This would look on laying on the ground! However Lago have much better low rolling hills in Essex.The bottom 3 pictures in my opinion, demonstrates Lago's overall superiority in the mountains. This view is of the Snowdon Horshoe.Alan

Guest Lizardo

Just as a side-light, www.fsfreeware.com has a UK+ Faroe islands landclass out that is stunning. With it and the Lago's I've now got an entirely new appreciation of UK.

Good info------------- and you certainly picked the right airplane to check it out in! :)L.Adamson

Guest alanrco

>Just as a side-light, www.fsfreeware.com has a UK+ Faroe >islands landclass out that is stunning. With it and the >Lago's I've now got an entirely new appreciation of UK. Couldn't find the above anywhere on this site. Can u give me directions, Lizardo? :)Alan

Guest Lizardo

Top of the page there, click "Shareware Shop" and it's at the bottom of that page. (I thought it was a bit pricey at $15..but it's great.)

For those instrested here are example of default v Lago mesh on the Isle of Man.regardsRichard Binns

Guest Jozef_K

When comparing the default mesh with addon mesh scenery, here is my contribution. Island of Man, coordinates N54

Guest bones

Just to complete the comparison here is a screenshot of the same area (just south of Ramsey) taken with the LAGO scenery. I've not checked the rest of the UK yet but I know the IoM extremely well and the mesh is completely accurate. The hill shown is North Barrule - the beginning of the mountain section of the Isle of Man TT Races.

Guest alanrco

Good replies here, Thanks guys!East Anglia is poorly represented by all the mesh scenery. Yes it's flat, but NOT that flat and although in my pictures, VF does show some semblance of cliffs at Hunstanton, Richard's pictures showing cliffs would be more like the reality there. No cliffs there whatsoever from Lago (or default). I'm not harping on only about Hunstanton but demonstrating that this is typical of East Anglia part of these mesh.Lizardo's mention of 'UK + Faroe islands' I think is expensive for just 500k of landclass and this would become redundant when VF's photoscenery is released in a couple of weeks time (Supposed to have low frame-rate hit as well.)IoM looks really great tho' hav'ta take a looksee :)Alan

>East Anglia is poorly represented by all the mesh scenery. >Yes it's flat, but NOT that flat and although in my >pictures, VF does show some semblance of cliffs at >Hunstanton, Richard's pictures showing cliffs would be more >like the reality there. No cliffs there whatsoever from Lago >(or default). Please excuse me for my lack of geographical knowledge, but can you tell me a location I should check? Certainly in the first set of three screenshots I see I would like to check out something.Mathijs KokLAGO

Guest alanrco

Mathijs, the example I have shown is at coords:N52* 57.72 E0* 28.70Here is a picture showing also the GPS screen location and also a RL picture of the cliffs.Alan

Guest bones

It's still being ground away a bit isn't it? Used to wander up that way when stationed at Watton.I'd confirm your observations. The ground is virtually zero altitude until you get inland a little and then it slowly rises to 168ft AMSL. Considering the accuracy of detail of the LAGO mesh elsewhere - I notice 50ft drumlins being accurately reproduced - I'm surprised the cliff section is missing. I'd certainly vouch for a very high level of detail and accuracy in areas I know well..Just to add to your anguish here's a shot from further down the coast. Yes, it is in FS.. :-)

What aircraft was that in the example pictures?Thanks,Sean

Guest alanrco

Hi Bones,What scenery r u using. As u can see from my East Anglia pictures the ground looks quite bland and loses focus quite a short way away, although I guess this is to do with AA and my G3 graphics card, but your detail is so much better than mine and also the sea.Sean,The plane is 'RealAir's' fabulous SIAI-Marchetti SF.260 which flies like a dream and truly spins!

Guest Richard_H

Bones, that sea is fantastic - surely not FS default - where did you get it?Richard