Sign in to follow this  
Guest KenG

FS Meteo vs Weather Maker Personal Edition?

Guys, I dont have FS Meteo, as I never figured I'd get that much out of it in view of all the other payware out there (one has to make choices...) But I did try this new freeware Weather Maker.Can anybody who has both tell me the difference between them? I'd like to understand more.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest Edam

FS Meteo gives you the actual weather for the area that you are flying in. Weather Maker is fictional and not as good in my opinion. I'll need to try it out a few more times though.

EricIn my opinion there is nothing, but nothing, out there in payware that will add as much to your FS experience as FS Meteo.Mark "Dark Moment" BeaumontEDIT: Except FS Nav, of course! Together, they make a whole new sim.http://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

REALLY?!?!?!?Why? I take that as a really strong recommendation. Please explain more as I'll probably buy it if its that strong. Do you consider it one of those "just have to have" items? If so, then I'll get it.Ok if you just want to send me email.Thanks a lot.Eric

rexesssig.jpg AND ftx_supporter_avsim.jpg

Guest flightpro08

Out of all of my payware items for FS2k2, FSMETEO has been my second best purchase (right behind FSNavigator.) Coupled with FSW clouds, nothing can beat FSMETEO as far as realism is concerned. Here are a few of my favorite features.1. Realtime, real world weather constantly updated every 6 minutes. Up to date 24/7.2 Real world winds aloft generated.3. Ability to import an FS2k2 flight plan and see a weather report for your entire route. (ETE, winds aloft enroute, temperture, etc.)4. Realistic cloud formations.5. Ability to custumize everything (update times, max visibilty, etc.)Overall, FSMETEO is a 'must-have' purchase for any surious flight simmer. Nothing gets more realistic than a Good Payware Aircraft+God Payware Scenery+FSMETEO and FSW clouds+VATSIM. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

I heard that FSW is making a similar program, but freeware off course.

Shelling out for payware is often a difficult decison but, in my opinion, FSMeteo justifies it.It does a fine job of replicating the real thing and in real time too, but the only qualification I'd add is that a broadband connection as opposed to dial-up is a real advantage when using it.

EricRyan sums it up, but Flightpro makes a good point ... you're only going to feel you're "getting real" if you're on a permanent connection ... otherwise, the wife/gal/whatever is going to moan a bit about you blocking the phone line EGGL/VHHH.But it is THE business. The built-in "real" weather doesn't begin to compare. You'll be amazed at the difference in your start-up situations.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Hi!After having used the Weather Maker for the first time I was very impressed, but afer this topic FS Meteo seems to be a must! Just one question, does FS Meteo need to be connected to the web to be able to update the real weather or is it possible to create the weather before take off? Of course it won't be exact real weather any more, but my internet connecting (meaning my telefone bill!) won't be to happy with an all time connection.Thanks, Toby

Guest KenG

The way FSMeteo works is configurable. You can download the entire world weather and then go off line. FSMeteo will not connect again, but it will not update the world weather again either. The weather will change as you pass between stations, but if your flight is 4 hours long, the weather at your destination will be at least 4 hours old. It is similar to the default MSFS weather program. It is still better in that you can configure transitions (clouds, pressure, visibility) and the weather is more detailed and accurate than MSFS.If you run it in update mode, it will either stay on the line throughout the flight or will periodically dial up the internet and download the latest weather before disconnecting. You can tell FSMeteo how often you want updated weather. It isn't stuck on 6 minute updates.For a long time, I would just download the whole world weather and stay offline. It was definitely better than the default weather downloader. Then I got cable modem and so don't worry about it anymore. However, FSMeteo is still one of those MUST HAVE programs in my opinion. If you want the most realistic weather that looks the most like what's outside your window, FSMeteo can not be beat. At least, I haven't found anything yet and doubt I will.

Guest Jeff S KDTW

>For a long time, I would just download the whole world >weather and stay offline. It was definitely better than the >default weather downloader. Then I got cable modem and so >don't worry about it anymore. However, FSMeteo is still one >of those MUST HAVE programs in my opinion. If you want the >most realistic weather that looks the most like what's >outside your window, FSMeteo can not be beat. At least, I >haven't found anything yet and doubt I will. Ditto exactly what Ken said. I used FSMeteo for years with a standard modem--just download all weather (took about a minute on 28k) and then fly "offline". The delay in the weather wasn't a big deal for me, since real-weather-4-hours-old is still real weather. :-)Got a cable modem a week ago or so, and now I have it configured to update ever 6 minutes or so. Very nice.Eric, FSMeteo is an exceptional addon with great support, if needed. I can't imagine FS without it. Regards,http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jsnyder99/sigs/gaphoto.jpg | [LINK:www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?photographersearch=Jeffrey%20L.%20Snyder&distinct_entry=true|AIRLINERS.NET PHOTOS] [link:www.biblegateway.com/bgaudio/english/NIV/Max%20McLean/RM/bgaudio.pl?selection=1|AUDIO BIBLE] ] JEFF_S_KDTW@YAHOO.COM[/font

I was also trying to decide between these programs but my concern was different. What burden do either place on the processor load. I am not obsessed with frame rate but will either of these slow down or negatively affect the loading of scenery or the smoothness of the aircraft's manauvers? Basically I have a midrange system P1.7 and am experiencing some lags and jerkiness already.Thanks

Guest KenG

My processor is half as fast as yours. I've experienced no noticeable effects on framerates with FSMeteo...ever.

I just received FS Meteo 5.2 last night and flew my first flight with it, heading into a line of thunderstorms approaching the D.C. area. Very impressive...multiple layers of clouds...I've got a couple of questions, though, for those who have used the program forever. I'm still using the default values in FS Meteo and FSUIPC with a cable modem updating every 6 minutes. As I flew into the thunderstorms I kept getting more/denser clouds and suddenly the screen went grey and I was in the soup (not sure if these changes were due to modem updates or geographical boundaries in the weather reporting). Question 1: Do the updates appear instantaneously (one second clear sky, next second clouds), or can you adjust any settings to have the weather changes transition more gradually?Second question: Are there any other "must changes" to the default settings you have found.Thanks, Steve J.

>Eric, FSMeteo is an exceptional addon with great support, if >needed. I think the "if needed" requires some highlighting. Marc is nothing if not responsive to his customers (I had a hard disk failure, and less than 24 hours after sending a plea for help, Marc had sent me FSMeteo again)... and the product requires very little support! Just plain awesome.I have to agree with everybody else here. With the real weather of FSMeteo and the proper flight planning utility in FSNav, FS2002 is a totally different beast. I'd not fly without either of them.