Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilipManwaring

Cessna 421 Golden Eagle Question

I am thinking of purchasing the Cessna 421 from flight1 - however I just wanted to check some details on the VC since I normally fly as much as possible in the VC.What functions cannot be accessed via the VC or on a "snap in panel"?? (or perhaps better put "What functions do you have to go back to the 2d panel for ??"). Other comments appreciated as well !!

G,I fly the 421 in VC almost exclusively and have even modeled my home cockpit after it. One of the benefits is that it provides IMO the most flexibility of any FS2K2 plane released so far. All the primary and engine instruments can be expanded with a simple mouse click and put into a separate window if desired. That makes it nice for IFR work while still in the VC mode. I believe all the switches are accessible via subpanels except the GPS/Nav switch and the OBS knobs. It's a great plane in VC using TrackIR and multiple monitors!David

Guest PhilipManwaring

I second that. Pretty much everything pops up to a subpanel. The OBS needs to be set from the 2D panel, but don't forget there are key assignments for that so even there you can stay in 3D mode. It's a wonderful plane with a great flight model and panel. The GPS system and TCAS are both really nice too. I'd recommend it. Happy flying,Philip

Confirmed,I have 3 payware a/c, the pic/posky 767, the sf260 and the 421.While not as crisp as the sf260, the panels in the 421 are superb as well. Sounds, visuals, a rock steady yet responsive fm.It's very nice and as it's faster, bigger and heavier than the SF260 the feeling of accomplishment is even greater, as long as you stay in the 'normal' operating envelope of course.Regards Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ

Sounds pretty good - does anyone have that & the Cheyenne (which I already have), just wondering how it compares ??

There was a post some time ago where it appeared that permission had been obtained from FSD for all switches on the 421 panel to be activated and a member of the forum had undertaken to do this. Have I missed this work being uploaded? as it appeared an excellent project and would have made a superb panel for use with multi monitors in a cockpit panel grateful if anyone could advise on the outcome of this.Capjack

I found on my steam driven 800 the 421 slaughtered my frame rate, down to as little as 2-3 in some places, the Cheyenne is still in the hangar whilst the 421 is grounded until I decide to invest further money.And before anybody starts, they're both very very nice, very nice indeed.George

Guest PhilipManwaring

One thing to try is using DXT textures instead of the default uncompressed versions. They're not quite as clear but add several FPS.