Sign in to follow this  
barryward12345

How to do a standard rate turn in ALL aircraft?

The formula is: airspeed divided by 10 +7 for a standard rate turn.Bear in mind that at 200kts you are already at 27deg bank. The limit for most autopilot systems.RegardsBernt Stolle Capt CRJ

>The formula is: airspeed divided by 10 +7 for a standard >rate turn. >Bear in mind that at 200kts you are already at 27deg bank. >The limit for most autopilot systems. >>Regards >>Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ Thanks Bernt.Actually , after making the post, I did a bit of a search in the Internet (I know -- I SHOULD have done that BEFORE making the post!!! ) and I now have the impression that standard rate turns are really only relevant to slow moving aircraft because of the very high angle of bank required by high speed aircraft.Now what prompted this question is this -- I have been practising NDB approaches in the default Cessnas - and lately I have been flying the Dash8-300 by Oleksiy Frolov. So I thought I would do the same with his aircraft. Knowing that I have to do a procedure turn at a standard rate , and still struggling to come to complete grips with the complex Dash8 panel, I looked for but could not find a turn co-ordinator .Barry

When you do NDB approach etc... the procedure or PANSOPS place a limit at around 180-200kts. Otherwise the safety area would increase dramatically due to the larger turn radius. Even the heavies fly that slow.It's quite comfortable 'cause if you are light you don't need any flaps, and if heavy just 1 or 2 notches. So the required powersetting is rather low as is noise and fuel flow.Most autopilots turn with 25deg AOB, so 180-200kts is idealy suited.Regards Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ

>When you do NDB approach etc... the procedure or PANSOPS >place a limit at around 180-200kts. Otherwise the safety >area would increase dramatically due to the larger turn >radius. >Even the heavies fly that slow. >It's quite comfortable 'cause if you are light you don't >need any flaps, and if heavy just 1 or 2 notches. So the >required powersetting is rather low as is noise and fuel >flow. >Most autopilots turn with 25deg AOB, so 180-200kts is idealy >suited. >>Regards >>Bernt Stolle Capt CRJ Thanks AGAIN Bernt - you have just answered a question that I hadn't even asked yet - because I was struggling with trying to find the right words for it. I was wondering how these approach procedures involving standard turns related to faster flying aircraft. The Dash8 is set for 25 degree bank using A/P - so with an approach speed of 160, this would be perfectly possible to do a standard rate turn -- I don't know if the passengers would like it though!!! :)Barry

Guest bones

Hi Bazza,It would be better to stay in the 180 - 200 kts bracket for the hold as Bernt says. Once you leave the hold and position for final approach your can drop your speed gradually down to the 160kt level.If you slowed down to 160kts in the hold ATC would get a bit upset as it would kybosh their approach sequencing!

>Hi Bazza, >>It would be better to stay in the 180 - 200 kts bracket for >the hold as Bernt says. Once you leave the hold and position >for final approach your can drop your speed gradually down >to the 160kt level. >>If you slowed down to 160kts in the hold ATC would get a bit >upset as it would kybosh their approach sequencing! Actually, I was thinking more about doing procedure turns during approach procedures.Not being a real pilot, I am a bit confused about just what sort of procedures apply to what sort of aircraft at what sort of airfields for IMC conditions . I think we have a lot of unattended fields here in Australia - and others that don't have radar .Barry

Barry, don't know if this is available in Oz, but I have found "Radio Navigation and Instrument Flying" by Trevor Thom (ISBN 1 84037 322 9) to be of great use. It's a standard reference work for PPL and Instrument training and it covers a lot of stuff about procedural flying. I always have it close at hand these days and I've been sim flying for over 20 years! Things like procedure turns are explained not only in terms of GA ac but for all ac categories.Cheers,AndyEGTR

Hello Barry ! Just noted your question :Rate of turn indicator on Dash8 is at EADI just below the attitude ball. There are 3 bars and magenta pointer there - extreme left and right onces will represent 2 min. standard turn (left/right).However, rate of turn indicator is not available when active NAV is tuned to an ILS.By the way, thanks for the dll.Oleksiy.