Sign in to follow this  

40.52's - Good news and bad news...

After a quick test of the 40.52 drivers I've found some good news and, for me at least, some bad news. The good news is that they may be, from a 3DMark2001SE perspective, the fastest yet. The bad news is that, while the texture rendering is superb, from an FS2002 perspective they may be the slowest yet. On a comparison against the 30.82's the 3DMark2001SE numbers with the system not overclocked were 30.82's = 10668 and 40.52's = 11825. But...with tests in FS2002, the average framerate numbers dropped from 32 fps for the 30.82's down to 25 fps for the 40.52's. I'm going to strip out (again) all the driver remnants and retest these, but I'd be interested in hearing what anyone else's experience has been. All mileage is, of course, variable and it could well be that the system here just doesn't like this latest offering.TripNorthwood 2.2a at 2.72Ghz Abit TH7II-R512MB Samsung 40ns PC800Gainward 64MB GF4 Ti4200 300/57030.82's DX8.1 WinXP ProInwin case / Enermax 431W PSU3DMark2001SE = 13089http://service.madonion.com/compare?2k1=4330740

Guest jaapverduijn

I installed, I tested, I uninstalled. No need to say more, I guess...

Trip,Did you install WinXP SP1 and if so, did you see any degradation of FPS. I have a VisionTec GF2 Ti 64MB DDR graphics board and have been running the 29.42 drivers. It seemed like I lost some FPS after loading SP1.Secondly, I opened a beta application just yesterday for the first time since upgrading to SP1 and the graphics rendering part of the program would not work. I also noticed I lost the NVidia Tabs on my Administrator's side of WinXP Pro. I reinstalled the drivers and fixed both problems.I was also using NVrefreshtool prior to SP1 but don't seem to need it since SP1.

I haven't seen a change in the framerate since installing SP1 but there are some other things going on since then that I can't explain. When SP1 was installed I was running with the 40.41's and had been for some time absolutely trouble-free. As soon a SP1 was loaded I began to get system lockups with a complete loss of video - and not just with FS2002, but with everything. So...back to the 30.82's. With the 30.82's the lockups ceased but I began to experience texture drops and "blank" tiles with FS2002 (the 30.82's were fine pre-SP1). So...back to the trusty 29.42's. And, finally, with the 29.42's everything settled down to normal again. Now, I have no idea if all the problems are somehow related to SP1, but....it's the only time, EVER, that I've had a problem with either texture rendering or a system lockup. Sort of makes me wonder exactly what the SP1 changes were to DX8. And I just hope that nVidia doesn't forget about all us poor GF2/3/4 people in their quest to bury the 9700. We'll still need a driver update now and again.Trip

Yep. I gave up and just reinstalled the 29.42's :-) .

Trip,From a "blurry texture" standpoint, are you seeing a slower process as you fly longer?Any tweaks yet?Tim

I can't address the blurries Tim. I've never had the blurry texture problem. The rendering has always been sharp and clear all the way to the horizon.