Sign in to follow this  
wsieffert

Can't access any URL links anymore from IE 6.0 SP1

Hi guys,Can you check the tread "What is wrong..." in the "PC / MAC Hardware for Simulations". I am in exactly the same situation however MS refuses on my system to download an older version of Explorer. What can I do ? I am desperate.hm

Hey, hm:What it says over there, is that you've got the wrong version of OLEAUT32.DLL. You don't say what OS you're running, so I can't give specific instructions. I started to do generic instructions, but the logic branches to cover all the possible OSes made it more like a novel! Besides, my cold is making me miserable.So, I'll try to describe some very generic steps. The overall idea here is to find a good OLEAUT32.DLL file and install it on your system. Keep that in mind, if things get too confusing. The other thing to remember is, the OLEAUT32.DLL file is in use and cannot be renamed or moved, while actually in Windows. You will have to get to a command prompt to do Steps 2 and 3. It's a good thing you're desperate -- because this won't seem easy, unless you do PC support for a living! :-roll Still desperate? OK, here goes:BTW, this is what I've done to fix at least three computers with the OLEAUT32.DLL problem. However, I have a miserable head cold and am not immune to typos. You are not being charged by me, nor am I receiving any compensation for this free advice. By following the instructions below, you agree that are still responsible for your own computer system. I will not be responsible or held liable should the following cause your computer to "blow up". You are free to not follow these directions if you are not willing to abide by this requirement.Also, I just read a MS KB article that probably means the command line extraction of files in Windows XP is impossible. You could do Step 3 before Step 2, name the file something else, then move it at the command prompt later. Read this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q310435OK, this has been through about 10 edits (before first posting). I've got to go to bed. I'll look in the AM and see if it all still makes sense.[ol][li]Find the appropriate cabinet files for you and get them on your hard drive if not already there: These are files with a .cab extension that hold MS installation files in compressed format. If you have updated IE sometime before all this started, they will be on your hard drive somewhere (unless you've deleted 'em). Look for a folder on your system called "Windows Update Setup Files". If you haven't upgraded IE, you'll be wanting the original Windows installation cabs, search for WinXX*.cab. (replace the XX with 95 for Win95, 98 for 98, 2K -- I think -- for 2000, and XP -- I guess -- if you're so misfortunate as to be running the latest boondoggle.) If the preceding doesn't produce joy for you, just search for *.cab and see if you can make sense. If not, get the installation CD and copy the folder with all the cabs to a new folder that you create on your hard disk. This is necessary, because you won't necessarily have CD access during one of the later steps. It is also important to use the right cab! Don't use the Windows cabs if you have upgraded IE; otherwise, you will have to finish by reinstalling IE.[li]Boot to a command prompt and rename the offending DLL: This is easy in Win9x, just press F8 during boot and select "Command Prompt". For ME, you'll have to use a boot disk. For 2K or XP, if your hard disk is not in NTFS format, you must also use a boot disk (if you are in NTFS format, the forum's not big enough for me to write up the fix! I could do it, but write it? Oh, my aching head!). Once you get to a command prompt, you will see something like this: c:>_ (the underline will be blinking, that's your cursor). If you had to use a boot disk, you'll see this: A:>_ (or something like) change to drive c: (like this: C: )Now, move to the windowssystem folder (for Win9x, like this: CD WINDOWSSYSTEM . For 2K & XP, type this: CD WINNTSYSTEM -- maybe)). If that doesn't work, for 98 and above, type: ECHO %WinBootDir% and the response will tell you what to use in the places I've used WINDOWS or WINNT. Follow whatever you get with SYSTEM and you'll be fine. BTW, you see a lot of backslashes () in these instructions. Note that this is not the "regular" slash which is a shifted question mark key. This is the "other" one and if you fail to use it even once, the brain-damaged DOS prompt will just give you an error message. And don't forget to follow all your commands with the Enter key .Once you figure out the right command to move to the %WinBootDir%SYSTEM folder, the command prompt will change to reflect your new location. (like this: C:WINDOWSSYSTEM>_). Now, rename the bad OLEAUT32.DLL file (like this, REN OLEAUT32.DLL *.BAD )[li]Extract the DLL: Navigate to the location where the cabinets are and type the following: FOR %A IN (*.CAB) DO EXTRACT %A OLEAUT32.DLL . For Win95 only: You will have to put it into a batch file and add two % signs where I have one. Type this: COPY CON FINDIT.BAT . You'll be on a blank line. Type: FOR %%A IN (*.CAB) DO EXTRACT %%A OLEAUT32.DLL ^Z (Hold down the Ctrl key and press Z, do not use the caret symbol) You will now be back at a command prompt. Now type FINDIT to run the batch file and extract the file.. If you get more than one copy of OLEAUT32.DLL, take the first one, deny the others, rename the file to OLEAUT32.1 (like this, REN OLEAUT32.DLL *.1 ), create a new folder named WORK (like this: MD WORK) move the file to WORK (like this, MOVE OLE*.1 WORK), then rerun the batch file, this time overwriting with the second before denying the others, rename the result *.2 and move it to the same folder as the first, then rerun the batch file again, overwrite up to the third one before denying, rename the result *.3, and repeat as necessary, using appropriate numbers, until you've got the last one. Then do a DIR command in the WORK folder, take the latest dated one for the next step, and leave the others until you're sure you won't want them. Rename the file you're going to use *.dll before going on with the next step. Like this: REN *.1 *.DLL[li]Move the extracted file to the SYSTEM folder: This will depend on what folder you renamed the original file to .bad. Copy the extracted file into that folder, whatever it is. [/ol]You should now be ready to reboot into Windows and see if things are better. --BeachComer Stephen "Beach" Comer Real World Pile-it Commercial ASMEL, Instrument Airplane 4500 TT, 2500 BE20 & BE10

Hi,I got the same problem with W XP and IE 6.0...just couldn

Staffan

I 'dunno' about Netscape, seems like an extreme solution!I tried Netscape awhile back and after fidling with it for about a week, promptly took it off. Didn't like the look or the feel of it.Guess I am a MS slave,....... but a happy one! :DAnything that AOL uses can't be good! :-wink2http://members.cox.net/pstepanoff/images/OK_c2.gifPete S

Couldn't agree more on the AOL feel that NETSCAPE 6.0 and up became. The last good Netscape was about ver 4.8!!All that touchy feely junk is too much bother!!

Hi, allThank you for all your help. I found an easy way to solve the problem in the thread on the forum I mentioned above. It solved the probem.Thanks again! hm