Sign in to follow this  

Warning! Do not install the Weather Maker program

Hello,I suggest you do not install "Weather Maker Personal Edition" that was advertised on AVSIM's front page. The program itself is fine, but the installer is messed up. After installing the program, my MS Explorer no longer works properly. Whenever I click on a link that opens a new window it will just hang. A few other people have reported the same problem. If anyone knows of a fix I'd sure like to know. I've tried everything from the knowledge base on the MS site. Nothing worked so far...Thanks, Kenny B

Did you contact the author ?? He might have an idea? :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Same here. After installing Explorer hans the same...but, I have the solution for it :-hahDownload this utility from MS.http://download.microsoft.com/download/msn...US/mcrepair.EXEIt fixes your problem.It looks like the program started a chain reaction on my PC. It has messed up IE, i am getting Ileegal Operations Eroor the whole time and my Norton Anti-virus seems to have been 'killed' after the install of the program. I am not saying that the author did this on purpose, maybe it's a coincidece or just a rare case where everything suddenly goes nuts on the PC. I am forced to format my HDD now because too many thing have been messed up. :-(Oh well...time to get started on formating..i hope to be back here later tonight :-waveTake careMike

Thanks from me also Mike. Fixed me right up. Hope the rebuild goes well for you..- Kenny B

No problem.I hope the rebuild goes fine as well...I still have not started...too scared :-lolTake careMike

Hi,You can avoid the installer leaving "droppings" in your OS by just bypassing it. Just unzip the contents of the download into a folder. DO NOT run the setup program.Then run the weathermaker.exe. The program works fine without the setup executed.BobP :)

Just some background problem on this problem. It is caused by some files being installed on your system that are not correct for your type of OS (and as such probably will not affect all users).Late versions of the most well known installer programs (such as Install Shield) have protections against this, but it is a mistake that is rather often done in FS add-ons. Not too long ago, and we will not name names, somebody else send out an installer with this problem. When people complained, he asked them to fill in a form on his website.... right, with the browser that did not work anymore :-)But I'm sure WeatherMaker (that is a nice enough product) will have a fixed version before we can say 'bummer'.Mathijs