Sign in to follow this  

Some real shots of the Deb over Michigan today

In to fall and the trees are a little later this year but the colors of the ground are very nice. A perfect flying day here today:1)The different colored ground patterns near Chesaning, MI.-wouldn't it be nice to get cloud shadows in fs?2) A steep turn 3) On final runway 36, fnthttp://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest Jeff S KDTW

Guest Jeff S KDTW

I picked up an "anywhere map" in oshkosh to replace my aging Garmin 195. It is a moving map software that rivals mfd displays that runs on a pda-simply one of the greatest most innovative products I have seen-and I can also use it with ms2002!However-it still has to have a gps to drive it-so the mouse looking thing on the glareshield is a garmin gps that feeds into the awm.Man are you quick with the photo stuff! :-lolhttp://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest Jeff S KDTW

>Man are you quick with the photo stuff! :-lol ;-)

That last shot is one that is very very familliar to me. My old man keeps his plane in the golf t's right at the end of 36. We would always when possible request to come in on 36 since landing on 27 and taxiing all the way to the golf t's was a pain. I always remember coming in and looking straight down on the farm complex that is just below where you took that last shot (old farm house and some sort of metal silo). We used to fly out to the west and he would let me practice a lot in the area between chesining and owosso. Are you based at fnt?

He is in B 36.... He has an orange and white biplane(PJ-295...for the most part its just a beefed up Great Lakes). I have probibly seen you around and not known it. He is out and about mainly on the weekends. It is a very very small world indeed!

You will have to say hey to him for me if you see him at Bishop. I relocated to the metro atlanta area just about two years ago. I usually get back a couple of times a year though. I will tell him to keep an eye out for you though. Here is a link with him and our plane in front of the hangar.http://www.pj-260.freeservers.com/Geoff%20Geisz.htm

Geof,I enjoyed your Debonair very much, thanks for the time you put into making it. I received my private pilot a little over a year ago. All of my flying is VFR around Durango, Colorado. I have been wanting to purchase a hand held GPS. I am interested in the new Garmin 196 or the Anywhere Map by Control Vision that you are using. I am curious what made you replace your Garmin 195 with the Anywhere Map instead of the new Garmin 196. Maybe you can help me make up my mind on which one to get. Bill

>I picked up an "anywhere map" in oshkosh to replace my aging >Garmin 195. It is a moving map software that rivals mfd >displays that runs on a pda-simply one of the greatest most >innovative products I have seen-and I can also use it with >ms2002! >Can you elaborate about how anywhere map would work with FS2002? Do you use just the flight planning sections or is there some way that it actually interfaces with the program? Thanks in advance!

Ahhh Durango-you are a lucky person!What convinced me about the Anywhere Map is you get the features of a 20K multi function display for the price of an average gps. They also keep adding features constantly to it. I saw the 196 in Oshkosh and didn't think it was that much of an improvement over the 195. TheAWM-that is another story...-Go to:http://www.controlvision.com/Take the "tour".What I like is it is obviously designed by pilots for pilots-I get the feeling that Garmin is trying to be everything to everyone (boaters, autos,planes) and thus losing out.Some features the awm has that the 196 doesn't-color, cones of glidable airports, approaches (with everything), aopa directory, terrain, obstacles, checklists, logbook and weight and balance.I am crazy about it in case you didn't notice!:(http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Geoff goes into the AWM in a post below, but technically the product isn't for flight simulation.Using the GPSOUT tool though, I bet you could use FS2002's data to "power" the AWM software on a PDA. It would be a rather expensive addon for the non real world pilot, but if you DO fly for real, and you want to practice using the AWM in flight situations but safely on the ground, you could probably do it!I believe my girlfriend's father has such a toy for use in his [a href=http://www.ercoupe.net/M1/N99902.html]plane[/a], but he doesn't have it tied into MSFS. Perhaps I can rig it up for him...Enjoy,-Greg