Sign in to follow this  

OT ---- Savvy web surfers please read..

Hi All,, Yesterday I downloaded a bunch of repaints for the AI collection from a well known painter ( not named ) and while on the site owned by the said author of the repaints.. Pop ups where rampant.. ( I donot use pop up killer ) One of them automatically installed some crap on my system. Now every other hour or so some fricken shortcut gets placed on my desktop or IE starts with some script and the title bar of the open window just says "Internet"... IE has changed showing a new link bar.. The offending site is xupitor.com I have looked all over in my system to find some kind of Uninstall and found none.. There is a folder in C:/program files/xupitor.. No uninstall there. In MSCONFIG startup tab there is an entry pointing to a registry entry... What do I do ?? Just delete the folder ?? Or will the REG entries just keep downloading CRAP from this place...Any help would be appreciated.. Regards,Roman[link:www.packers.com]GREEN BAY PACKERS][/i :-ukliam :-beerchug

20AUG21_Avsim_Sig.png?dl=1  FS RTWR   SHRS F-111   JoinFS   Little Navmap 

I'd help ya, but I see you're a packers fan ;-)))JK, Not sure, but that crap is sure annoying especially when they automatically install crap on your system. Could end up with a lovely virus with that BS.

Guest wkzzo

What o/s are you running Roman? If your running win xp dont surf the internet as administrator ,this is the default logon when you install xp and is a good way for hackers to get in your system. Create a new account and call it internet(or something) and make this account a limited account. that way no executables can run and install on your system. If you want to run a program in a limited account you can right click on it and check the run as command ,and pick you admin account ,enter password ect....

You got Xupiter?! THE FIRST THING you should do to remove it is to neutralize the executables, by moving the directory (C:program filesXupiter) to another directory. The go to http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/ , and folow the instructions. BUT BE EXTREMELY careful, as you will need to edit the registry. I suggest you backup your registry.

David, Thanks man :-) .. Looks like I'm not the only poor sap to get this CRAP.... LOL !!Wallace, Well I just have to change my habits as I was doing that after first getting XP. (Oct 2001) One other thing,, after getting SP1 for XP all my internet security/ blah blah settings have changed.. To a less secure level..Just noticed this while trying to get rid of CRAP :-( SP1 changed other things too, just cannot recall.. Thanx guys -- made my day :-) Regards,Roman[link:www.packers.com]GREEN BAY PACKERS][/i :-ukliam :-beerchug

Hi :)If you don't want these people to install crap on your PC then there is a simple fix that anyone can do, and it takes :) I would recommend the following to everyone:If you have IE6.0 then your "Internet" security zone shouldn't have Javascript or Active X etc enabled! You should only allow these features on "Trusted Sites" - that's the way I do it, and I have avoided several executable files being installed.:)http://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav2207_banner.gif

I was joking with all my freinds about how Xupiter shoudl eb classified as 'Scumware,' not ad-ware. Anyway, you should also add http://www.xupiter.com to your restricted sites list in IE.Glad I could help!

Hey Guys,, Well the uninstall instructions did not work as printed from the link above.... I think there is a new and smarter X-POOP-ITER out there. I got to the point of deleting program files/X-POOP-ITER and it would not let me as updates.dll was registered and running...Sooo.....Went to the registry again and used the find function for Xupiter and found at least 6 more keys relating to either registering update.dll or dealing with the tool bar for IE.. VERY CAREFULLY got rid of those and now going again... :-)Now taking some time to "secure" the system just a bit....Thanx again guys. Regards,Roman[link:www.packers.com]GREEN BAY PACKERS][/i :-ukliam :-beerchug

Now that you've gone through the trouble to clean up your system, I'm going to second DarkSaber's advice and recommend you download LavaSoft's Ad-Aware program. You'll be surprised what it finds on your system that you didn't know was there lurking and sending back info on you.The software has periodic updates, so be sure to stay current.Bruce

Guest WorkingStiff

Maybe now you'd think of investing in a popup killer and a good firewall....I use AdSubtract and Outpost Pro, and after investing some time to configure them correctly, I haven't seen a popup in over a year.You can download the free versions of either software at www.adsubtract.com and www.agnitum.com

I use the freeware program PopUpStopper from www.panicware.com Works pretty well and pretty easy to temporarily disable for sites that require popups/new windows to function properly.