Sign in to follow this  

Alphasim.co.uk F4N Phantom?

Hi folks :) Anyone have any experience with this model, or others in general from this company? Wondering if it's worth the $. Been thinking about purchasing one of the Phantoms and perhaps a B17F as well. Primarily concerned with how resonably accurate the flight model is on them.FWIW I will be using these on FS2002.Thanks!

It depends entirely on your idea of 'payware quality.' I've been very happy with the Alphasim models I've purchased in the past, even though they are behind the curve a little. I should state up front that it's easier to find freeware models more detailed than Alphasim's models, but models of the same aircraft. They're models are worth the money becuase they choose to create odd aircraft, or aircraft that haven't yet been designed as freeware. Their prices are quite reasonable, especially compared to the likes of DF, PSS, and Captain Sim. But, you get what you pay for, essentially a visual model, because the panels are ONLY suitable for VFR, and the nav instruments are located on a generic pop-up panel. No advanced simulation is produced. You can't even start control the engines or lights from the panel. If you're expecting something with the complexity of a Captain Sim add-on, then prepare to be dissapointed. Also, the F-4 and many of their older FSDS models, don't have any hard-coded drop tanks or weapons, as these are Combat Flight Sim 2 features. The preview screenshots are taken in CFS. As for the flight models, there isn't anything particlarly spectacular about them. They are accurate only on the level that a B-17 will fly like a Lancaster, and vice versa. An F-4 will handle like a big, heavy, fighter jet, and an F-8 is only a little faster than an A-7. If you're looking for absolute perfection, look elsewhere. I don't mean to turn business away from Alphasim, especially as its proprietor, Phil Perrot is a real gentleman, and his team likewise.

Thanks for the info. No, I'm not looking for absolute perfection by any means. If I wanna fly complete sim'ed I will just fly my DF737 (which I love BTW). I just want a fun plane to cruise around VFR. I think I'll go ahead and purchase the Phantom and see how it goes. Thanks again!

Alphasim planes barely pass as good freeware... when I look to a payware a/c I look for something innovative and perfectly done.. disappointed with their products in general...

Alphasim models are great! The shapes of the models and exterior look are fantastic. But the panel is (like mentioned above) pretty much only suitable for VFR.IMO, they are definately worth the 9 bucks though!!!! Some of their newer aircraft are also completely GMAX, ie the F-105 Thud, and a few others.I don't think you'll be dissappointed. Like I said the exterior mnodels are fantastic!! The best Military aircraft to date (except for maybe the Captainsim MIG-21UM) come from Alphasim IMO.I have yet to see a freeware F-4, A-6, F-105, A-4, A-7, F-8 etc.... that comes anywhere close to the Alphasim aircraft."Barely pass as freeware" -Andyjay <---LMAO!! Lets see you make something better, or better yet find a model of a particular aircraft and compare it to the exact same version from Alphasim. Anyways....You'll love the Phantom, it's a blast!Do a search in screenshots for "Alphasim" and you'll see how good their "barely passes as freeware" aircraft look.Shane

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I went ahead and purchased the F4N and am quite pleased with it once I added some nice large fighter jet sounds I had to it. Resonable for $9 I think.

I'm glad you like it. I got here a little to late to put in my two cents. In a week or so (with Alphasim's permission, of course), I'll be uploading instructions for enhancing the F-4 panel. Nothing advanded, just some eye candy.