Sign in to follow this  

Classical Music

Guest Astrojet 112

O.K. I'll jump in...Im an electronic musician-composer, MIDI Guitar is my instrument.I enjoy the Russian romantic composers when flying.http://www.markdwane.com

This thread is wonderful. And there was me thinking that flight simming attracted a body of philistines! How wrong I was.I think this forum should be named "Classical Music to fly by - discuss", with just the occasional post allowed about this aircraft or that.Certainly beats "My FS2002 crashed after five minutes" posts!Rob Young

Well at the moment it's Vaughan Williams, Fantasy on a theme by Thomas Tallis....I turn down the engine and ambient sounds so I just have atc.. Just incase of emergency and to monitor whats going on around me....Very nice. and the perfect way to wind down after a hard day at the computer... !:-)Pete

That's good to know. I'm impressed by her writing, too.By the way, I realize I haven't yet introduced myself properly around here. This thread provides an opportunity to hit on two sets of qualifications:Classical: not a performer but wrote my first published article about the Metropolitan Opera standees. Hosted a five-hour weekly opera show on my college radio station for about a year and a half. A few years later, did some interviews for Stagebill (Lincoln Center and Carnegie Hall program magazine -- subjects were Rostropovich, Mehta, and Masur twice). Serious CD collector and fan of tube amplification. Wife's cousin in Cleveland Orchestra. Live two blocks from Lincoln Center and make it to performances there on the average of once a week.Flightsim: Started with FS 1.0 for the Mac in '86. In '89 was co-founder and editor of a monthly called PC Pilot (no relation to the current one), which had 1500 subscribers and went broke at the end of the year. Got away from it, got back in with FS2002. Fly GA, a highly customized setup with many modifications thanks to all of you.Additional: street photographer, and head a strategy group for a PR agency. Therefore, very short FS flights.Nice forum you guys have here.

Wow.... I just read the whole thread... Very interesting.I have been thinking. Flightsim or real flight is both highly technical and involves huge amounts of number crunching. and, It is also incredibly beautiful.Sometimes I love to sit at the airport and just watch the virtual world go by... maybe "go to" another airport, anywhere, and just sit again for a while.... watch the weather, the different aircraft... you know what I mean.So. Why do we have so many creative people fsimming... not just composers and musicians, but artists and teachers etc. I don't think this is too much of a suprise.. we're all dreamers, not content with the reality of washing up or digging holes. We have to have beauty, wonder and the great feeling of discovery in our lives.what do you call a musician without a girlfriend.....???Homeless:-)Pete

Here is the link to one of the UK's premier sources of classical music, 'Classic fm'. http://www.classicfm.comIf you weren't already :), now you can listen live whilst using your PC!Unbelieveably the 'Listen Live' section is sponsored by Virgin!Happy listening :-waveMothEGLL

Guest The Ancient Brit

Pete,I have been thinking also. Taking into consideration that we are so intelligent, enough to cope with flight simming at least, and that we are perceptive enough to appreciate classic music, then why aren

Denis - BBC 3 does indeed have a deeper play list from a wider range and I should have also included this link with my last post. Good call. http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3Cheers :-beerchugMothEGLL

Guest JonP01

>Really? Galamian was my mom's teacher too. Both my parents >are violinists in an orchestra here in Germany. >>Misha Wow Guys. Ok, we have drifted off topic, but this has been one of the best threads I ever participated in on the Internet. I'm sure the admin don't mind these rare transgressions (too much).It just goes to show what a small world it really is. It reminds me of that "6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" game!Yes, my teacher got a Julliard Scholarship in the early seventies and was lucky enough to be taught by Galamian. Last time I caught up with her she was Principal Second Fiddle of the Sydney Symphony and was on the teaching staff at the Sydney Conservatorium.Geofa,Putting an aeronautical slant back on things, I can visualise me in my virtual Tiger Moth, 8,000 feet above the virtual ground with the "Big H" knocking out the second movement of the Korngold - in a manner quite like no one before him or after him. It doesn't get much better than that!This thread also reminds me of a wonderful, determined young French women, whom all knowledgable fiddler's would know, and who always gave 110% in all her performances. Only two months after her 30th birthday she perished in a Constellation accident in the Azores. There were no survivors of that aircraft accident. The date was 28th October 1949. I often wonder how enriched the musical world would have been had Ginette Neveu not had her career cut short in such tragic circumstances. Michael Rabin was another genius who went before his time.Whenever I see a Constellation or Super Constellation at airshows it always reminds me of Ginette Neveu. And no one, but NO ONE, has ever played the Paganini Caprices quite like Michael Rabin.

Moth,Thanks for those links. Now I too can enjoy some classical music. Thanks again.

Eric