Sign in to follow this  

Some planes don't seem to want to take off

A few of the add-on planes I've downloaded seem to have some a strange characteristic: they don't want to fly!I downloaded a Concord, an L-1011 and a 727 for use with FS2002 Standard and they all have the same problem. Flying out of KLAX with full throttles I can barely get in the air using the entire runway. Last night I had the 727 up to 190 knots and pulling the stick back just got me off the ground.I haven't had this problem with any of the built-in planes and most of the ones I've downloaded. Anyone else experienced this?Thanks

Guest Jeff S KDTW

With regard to the 727, flaps and nose up trim should be enough.With regard to the Concorde, well, you need to do a lot of research if you want to fly her correctly. That plane is not like the others. :-) Not only do you need the trim, but you better be managing the afterburners correctly also. She is a beast at slow speeds......errr......she's a beast at ALL speeds. :-)Regards,http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jsnyder99/sigs/gaphoto.jpg | [LINK:www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?photographersearch=Jeffrey%20L.%20Snyder&distinct_entry=true|AIRLINERS.NET PHOTOS] [link:www.biblegateway.com/bgaudio/english/NIV/Max%20McLean/RM/bgaudio.pl?selection=1|AUDIO BIBLE] ] JEFF_S_KDTW@YAHOO.COM[/font

Yes, sounds like it could be a trim issue to me. For some reason when I first downloaded Mike Stone's (I think) 727 the elevator trim was set all the way down...so I couldn't get off the ground at all. Set it properly and it flies fine now.

Just to let you know you are not alone. I have gotten a Gulfstream, T-38 and some others that just did not want to get off the ground until the trim was adjusted, or in some cases, pasting an existing .air file to the new plane to get similar flying characteristics, although that is kinda cheating. Ironic also, your post is just under "Steffan's". Got to love it.

Concorde REQUIRES afterburners upon acceleration to takeoff. She lifts off and lands at very high speeds. Takeoff is about 190 knots and she lands at about 170 knots with no more than 11 degrees of pitch and, she has no flaps!John-PaulToronto

Interesting stuff! I had tried a little flaps since I had recently flown the B-52 which is just a giant rock with engines on it.I hadn't thought at all about the trim. I'll try both flaps down and some up trim on both the 727 and the L-1011 and see if that cures it.The Concorde is another story. I think afterburners were on and I had the nose in the proper position but who knows? Now I have some things to try.Thanks to everyone for their quick assistance.

Trim in FS2002 is not really trim. Rather than a device to relieve pressure on the stick/arms, most pc simulators, including FS2002, emulate trim as effectively another elevator.I suspect that trim moves the model centre offset forward and backwards, therefore creating a pitch moment.Thus, on many aircraft the trim has to be either central or slightly "up" on take off. This is because, in effect, the OVERALL pitch moment is a combination of the trim offset and the position of the elevator COMBINED.Of course this is not satisfactory, but because it is hard to emulate a trim tab on a home simulator, or indeed on expensive simulators, most sim designers have to compromise. You will find that the total elevator authority of almost any sim aircraft is influenced greatly by the position of the trim pointer. An aircraft that could achieve a 4 positive G pull up at 200 knots with neutral trim will tend to be unable to achieve this with significant down trim set.In trim sensitive aircraft, taking off in FS with any appreciable negative trim will indeed overcome even full elevator to the extent that the nose will fail to rise until abnormally high speeds are attained.Regards,Rob Young