Sign in to follow this  
wb5okj

E3 Dimensional and Win XP

Guest beloka

switched my OS to XP and when installing the Wicked 3D cd get reffered to their website for update and when installing update get referred to website for update and so on... asked help to tech sup from E3 but no response yet.Any suggestionstnx/ericIf anybody says these glasses are great I still have to

These glasses are great, at least with a nVidia card.Here is a link to the driver update section on ED's websitehttp://www.edimensional.com/software_updates.htmlYou do have to get the drivers for WinXp.Hope you get them working, when they do work they are amazing. They are not with there difficultys but that is the fun part of using a computer. :D LOLIf all else fails you might want to try the Beta 5.02 drivers. I had to use them with the nVidia geForce2 64 PRO card. With my newer g4 ti 4600 card I have to use the nVidia drivers which would not work with the older g2.

Guest beloka

tnx for all help, but just got a response from edimensional adn WinXp and Radeon 64DDR drivers are not yet available... will have to buy an NVidia.Eric

DonaldDo me a favour. My 3D glasses still seem to be hard to configure and when I update drivers I find various problems.At present I have two (now old) cards in my system - both GeForce 2 MX cards, one 100/200 64MB and one 400 32MB. The best combination I had going for the glasses at one time was the 23.11 Nvidia drivers, both reg and stereo, but the cards clashed, using the same driver (I think). Currently I have the one set up on 30.82, the other on 23.11 and the 30.82 stereo drivers. I'm still getting DirectDraw crashes on the MX 400 even though diagnostics show no conflicts. I know you've upgraded now, but as someone who has had success with the glasses, what was the best combo for your previous graphics card?Would appreciate your view, thanks.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Hello Mark,When I had the Geforce 2 64 Pro AGP card as primary I also had and still have a Vanta 32meg PCI card as secondary.With the GForce 2 I could not use the nVidia Stero Drivers at all, they just would not work, neither would the regular Wicked 3D ver 4.11 drivers. What did work with the GF2 was the Wicked 3D version 5.02 beta which you download from ED site, here is a link.http://www.edimensional.com/software_updates.htmlThe 5.02 drivers are the third ones down, and they worked very well with the GeForce 2 64Meg card. any version of the regular nVidia drivers would work I think I was using Denonaters 3 and then the Detonator 4 when they became available. For me the regular drivers have never made a difference at all.I only use the Vanta PCI card on the second monitor, and of course this card uses the same drivers as the G4 does or when I had the G2 card, I never had a problem with conflicts, and I never had to do anything unusual other than go into my computer bios and select the AGP option rather than the PCI option on startup. I have always used the original Stero Drivers, I don't remember the number, but they would not work with the GForce2 card. The drivers have never made any difference on my machine at all, neither good or bad, and I have tried out, not all, but a lot of different drivers. They all work about the same on my machine. LOL I have only now started using the 3082 Stero Drivers and the 3082 regular drivers because of the upgrade to the G4 card.Now having to use the 3082 drivers and 3082 Stero Drivers, they are a bit more cranky than the Wicked 3d ver 5.02 drivers were. The Wicked 3D drivers would always start up, no trouble at all, but the video was darker, and did not look quite as good as the 3082 Stero Drivers do now.Al ot of times to get the cranky 3082 Stero Drivers to work I will have to change resolution from what ever I startup with, to one resolution higher. i.e If I start in 1024x768 resolution I have to go to OptionsSettingsDisplayHardware and change to the next higher resolution or 1152x864. Occasionally I have to go the other way or to the next lower resolution. Its a bit of a pain, but that is the fun of computers is it not. The feeling of accomplishment when everything finally comes together, and the Stero, is to me at least, worth it. I find this steroscopic effect amazing. It is like looking in a mirror.By the way did you see the picture of the week on ED website, it is from FS2002, and a very nice picture in 3D looks like a real photograph almost.Hope this is of someuse and that I haven't just rambled on.

Hi Donald, I dont know if you got my email or not regarding the driver issue and the problems that Im still having with the glasses, but I wanted to tell you that I tried to install those beta drivers since I am still using a GeForce2 card, and they will not install because I am running XP. It looks like I am either going to have to buy a G4, or not use the glasses for the time being. I think I might contact ED support and see if they have any ideas, but those new stereo drivers really screw with my installation of XP and other apps installed.Craig

Guest byoung

Do these work well with multi monitor configuration?Barry

Hello Barry,I use a second monitor on a second older PCI video card,(a Vanta), and it works well. I don't know how it works using the second port, the DVI out port as I haven't tried to take advantage of the dual capabilities of this G4 card yet. Of course you only get Stero on the card that has the dongle for the glasses connected to it. You don't get Stero on the second monitor which is good.

Guest beloka

DonaldThanks a lot. I think I finally made it thanks to your post about changing the resolution at startup. I bought a cheap nvidia Geforce and now I got some stereo. The only thing is the image (especially in the cockpit 2D) is flickering so much I cannot stand it for long. None of the regular keystrokes seems to change the flickering. Any suggestions! One more happy simmer!Eric

Guest beloka

DonaldThanks a lot. I think I finally made it thanks to your post about changing the resolution at startup. I bought a cheap nvidia Geforce and now I got some stereo. The only thing is the image (especially in the cockpit 2D) is flickering so much I cannot stand it for long. None of the regular keystrokes seems to change the flickering. Any suggestions! One more happy simmer!Ericbeloka

Howdy Beloka,Yes I have a few suggestions, sorry for not responding sooner, have been out of touch for a while.The flickering is caused by too low a refresh rate. which is caused generally by too high a resolution for the monitor you are running. For instance on my Monitor a HP Paviloion v90, at 1600x1200 relolution I get a refresh rate of 75 hz, and a flickering picture. The lowest refresh rate I can get to have a nearly flicker free stero picture is 85 hz, thats a vertical frequency of 85 hz. The highest 4/3 ratio resolution I can get with this particular monitor is 1280x960 This gives me an 85 hz refresh rate which with my old eyes is tolerable for me. At 1152x864 the next 4/3 ratio resolution I get this monitor will give me a 100 hz refresh rate, which I cannot detect any flicker at all. With stero this picture is good enough for me as far as resolution goes. Without stero I must go to at least 1280x960 resolution to be satisfied.Having said all that, one may use third party application program to force a change of resolution on your monitor. Probably the best program for this is a shareware called PowerStrip http://www.entechtaiwan.com/Using this tool, or the one below, one may slowly change the monitor refresh rate, until you discover the maximum refresh rate for your monitor. Be careful, go slow. :D Here is a freeware tool called HZtool, it may do the job for you. http://hem.spray.se/doxx/With these tools I can force my 1280x960 resolution to about 99 hz, a 1152x864 resolution to abut 120, and 1024x768 to over 120 hz. I can tolerate a resolution of 1024x768 in stero and if you have young eyes, you may have to go to this resolution to get a flicker free presentation of SF2002 in stero. I am able to tolerate with my older eyse a resolutioon of 85, but even for me 100 or more hz is preferable.Let me suggest, stero works the best in virtual cockpit mode, which I am sure you have already discovered. :)Hope this sheds some light on the flickering, keep working at this 3D thing and we may overcome it yet. Actually this is the fun in it anyway, as all a flight sim is, is a benchmarking tool to see how our computers are really working. :D

Guest beloka

Donald sorry to bother you again,At the time you answered my last post on the continuois flikkering in fs2002, and I read that but didn