Sign in to follow this  
Avcomware

SpeechBuddy 2

Beta 2 is out. Looking for a few brave men to put it through it's paces. I know Michael Tucker was running with the old version and customised it for the MSFS community - but I failed to get hold of him.This version uses SAPI5 (a must have - it will crash without it). Comes configured for FS2002. Just load and use (but you will need to browse through XML to see what phrases are supported).Supports speech recognition (GameCommander style), but has a scripting engine with FSUIPC support. This means that you are not limited to sending keystrokes to FS2002 for the phrase "master battery on", but that you can actually check the state of the master battery in FS2002 and respond accordingly. Audio response (WAV and text-to-speech) is also supported. I've also added EarCandy/Enviro style keyboard handling to it (again with the support for scripting any type of response).Please do not expect any real documentation or noddy guides yet (I even forgot to update the beta 1 doc's in the beta 2 zip - so there :-)). For those comfortable with hacking panel files, editing FS2002.CFG and so on - you should be able to easily find your away around SpeechBuddy's FS2002 script and XML grammer files.http://www.x-plane.info/billy/speechbuddy/index.htmlThe changes I made last night should allow you to use this on-line with RogerWilco on VATSIM.. i.e. you can have SpeechBuddy only "working" when the HOTKEY function is enabled.I expect to have version 1 ready towards middle or end October. With FS2002 and X-Plane support and probably a couple of other games too. Freeware of course with no limitation on what, where, how and with who you do it with it. I personally dislike freeware that is crippled by restrictive licensing - that IMO is not freeware (he sez stirring with a big wooden spoon ;-))

Hi. Thanks for a great utility. I posted for Michael below also. I will dload and try to help with the testing. Do you know how difficult would it be go back to SAPI4? Will the speech training be retained, or should I save my files first?. I use it a lot with FLY!II, how difficult would it be to implement a version for FLY!II? Thanks. TV

I think SAPI4 and SAPI5 can co-exist on your computer. Check the Microsoft Website for instructions. I installed SAPI5 quite awhile ago for another ATC Beta program and I seem to remember the 4/5 issued discussed on MS website.

Hi. Thank you. I will back up my training files, just in case. Most of the time invested is in the training/retraining.. TV

Just to confirm : both SAPI4 and SAPI5 can co-exist on the same system. I have run both on WinME and Win2000 and can not recall ever having any problems.With SAPI4 you can save your speech recognition profile. This can be imported in SAPI5. Thus, all the training you have done with SAPI4 SR is transferred to the SAPI5 SR engine.Unfortunately though, the import of the old profile is not that apperant. Think I finally found it hidden away somewhere in the Dictation Pad software of SAPI5.. (if I recall correctly).It is well worth the switch from SAPI4 to SAPI5 IMO. The SAPI5 SR engine seems to me to have a much better recognition rate.

> I use it a lot with FLY!II, how difficult would it be to >implement a version for FLY!II? It can be used as is for Fly2. Of course, the scripting language does not support calling Fly2 natively like you can call FS2002 via the FSUIPC script language extensions. Which means you will be limited to sending keystrokes to Fly2 (like you did with SpeechBuddy1 or GameCommander).You still have the flexiblity of the scripting language though - you can keep global state variables in your script to "remember" whether the gear is up or down and still use all the other scripting and OO language features for audio response and so on.It should not be that difficult to add native support for Fly2. I'm happy to provide the Delphi source for the scripting engine to anyone who wants extend the scripting language to natively call Fly2. I will also be extending the language to include X-Plane's new Plug-In Manager/SDK. I am planning to try and make this portable so you can write scripts supporting both FS2002 and X-Plane without changing any of your code (e.g. an AIRCTAFT object class that provides transparent access to both FS2002 and X-Plane).The complete SpeechBuddy2 is likely to be released as Open Source at a later stage anyway.

Hi. Many thanks for your work. This has to be one of the most useful and underutilized program out there.I, and a few other pilots around here use it all the time. It