Sign in to follow this  
CraigC

STROBES OFF?? during day??

Hi Larry,I live close to LOAN where they build the DA40 so I've seen quite a few already.Looks fast, but I still feel more comfortable in a DR400 (and it's much more beautiful IMO).They are normally used for glider towing in austria so they all have 'climb' props.For me that means it takes off like a CRJ. Rotate to 12.5deg ANU and keep it there ;-) But at 120km/h this is much more impressive.(I think that as soon as Yannick's DR400 is ready, even my 'wholy' SF260 will be less abused) RegardsBernt Stolle Capt CRJ

This is what we do concerning exterior lights:Electrical power on the aircraft: Navigation lights ONJust prior to engine start or pushback: Beacon ONJust before commencing to taxi: Taxi light and Runway turn-off lights:ONJust before entering or crossing an active runway: Strobes ONAfter receiving take-off clearance: Landing lights ONAfter climbing through 10000 ft or FL 100: Landing lights and Runway turn-off lights OFFFlight through clouds during darkness: Strobes OFFDescending through 10000ft or FL 100: Landing lights and Runway turn-off lights ONAfter clearing the runway: Strobes and Landing lights OFFWhenever we are near other traffic, which is using the active runway: Runway turn-off lights and taxi light OFF (as a courtesy to the other guys. They don't like to get blinded during take-off or landing)Approaching the gate area: Taxi and Runway turn-off lights OFFAfter engine shutdown: Beacon OFFWhen aircraft has no APU operating or ground power: Navigation lights OFF (they could be still operated using the battery)The Logo lights are excellent for being seen at night. They stay on from the ground till FL 180 and vice versa.

Guest DanWalloch

Like many of you have said, I also use my strobes during the daytime. It gives you one more chance that the other guy will see you and on those hazier days you might need that extra help. Also for days that has a bit of haze, 5-7 mile days, I also put on my taxi light and when I'm on a cross country flight, my nav lights.

>Larry, >>Was that at Airport #2? >It was at Wendover. They had an airshow there on Saturday. The plane is kept at Heber (McDonald Field).L.Adamson

Guest ScottPilot

As a real-world ATP & CFII, I always teach my students to turn on the strobes during the day if they are available. That fact is, most mid-air collisions actually occur during the daytime, not at night!In many cases, it is much easier to see lighted objects at night. Also, many pilots (unfortunately) just are not as religious about looking for aircraft during the daytime. They get complacent.Anyways, even though ther is no FAR that requires the use of strobe lights during the day (if the aircraft has a rotating beacon of course)it is good operating practice to use the strobes.The only time I have turned off the strobes during the day in flight, is when I am at my crusing altitudes at the higher flight levels (FL 340, FL 370, ect.) At these altitudes, the aircraft speeds are such that the strobes don't make as much difference. But most of the time, I just leave them on.However, when I was flying for the airlines, our company procedures REQUIRED us to have the strobes on during ALL in-flight situations if possible.Scott :-)ATP/CFII 6000+ Hours Recips & Jets

FYI, the 303 is called CRUSADER not CRUSAIDER.RegardsBernt Stolle Capt CRJ

i dont know about the rest of you but i work on the ramp here at EWR. ALL aircraft are required to have theyre anti-collision lights on whenever the engines are running and or prior to pushback wether its day or night. for some like the air buses and 737's they switch them on as soon as the GPU has been disconnected and is usually done just a few minutes prior to push, others like the RJ's turn them on when theyre ready to push and it usually tells the ground crew to call the captain to see if theyre ready to push. i havent had any aircraft on the ramp running theyre APU for more then 30min. that costs the airline money every minute that it runs.easy thing to remember herestrobes on - engines are onstrobes off - engines are off

Guest ScottPilot

That may be, but as an aircraft is taxiing out at night, this is poor procedure since it blinds the other pilots on the ramp and taxi-ways. During night operations, strobes go on when entering the runway for takeoff and off when exiting the runway after landing.So the engines on/off rule doesn't always work.The Airman's information manual (AIM) details these procedures.Scott :-)

Guest ScottPilot

Thanks for the proof - Taken care of.Good pilot, bad typist!Scott :-)

I think what ealvarez meant by strobes on/off according to the engine was beacon on/off according to the engine. Any light that is flashing is probably a "strobe" to a ramper.

nope. manual states the anti-collision lights. red strobes on top and bottom of the plane. ofcourse they may turn them off once they get on the taxiways. i havent noticed that but i do always see them on whenever theyre getting off the taxiway's and onto the ramp areas

ill try and bring in a camera soon and take some shots so you can see

That's the way I have seen it. I was just at DFW. This is what I observed. At night: During taxi, nav lights, rotating becon, and taxi lights. (on the nose gear) On the runway they turn on the wing lights and strobes. (All lights on) Wing lights off above 10,000. I think they follow the same rules during the day, just without the nav lights, I don't remember if they used strobes on the ground during the day, but I am pretty sure they didn't. Not sure if this is a DFW policy or an AA policy. They were all doing it the same.DAVE

should also add that the manual does state its up to the captains depending on visibility and safety. but ive seen pretty much all the aircraft on terminal A doing it. i have seen some bigger airliners shut off the strobe when they begin taxi thoso they just might have them on until they begin to taxi out to warn the people on the ground that the engines are on. i cant begin to count how many times ive mistaken an aircraft out on the hard sand to be taxing in or not..lol

" Not sure if this is a DFW policy or an AA policy"You're correct in stating that its an AA policy. From my limited knowledge of Part 121 Ops, each individual airline creates an "Ops Manual" (which is approved by the FAA) that states each procedure for the pilots to follow.This Ops Manual then becomes the gospel for those pilots flying for that airline. The official FAR's don't matter, what is in the Ops Manual is what the pilots follow. Granted, the FAR's will be in the Ops Manual as well, but the airline will also have other requirements that could go above what the FAR's require.In a nutshell, whats printed in the Ops Manual is what the pilots for that airline do.skyyCFI