Sign in to follow this  

Advise on Electronic Flight Computer needed.

Im ready to purchase an electronic Flight Computer similar the what calcs can obe performed n the EB6. Can I get a review on whatever some of you may be using. The good and the bad please. I have looked at a couple but not sure what to buyEase of useScreen size Night visibility of the screen etcAppreciate itBobG

Hi Bob, I dont think that it will make a huge difference in the brand you buy, they all basically perform the same functions. I use a Jeppesen Tech Star (the old model). I dont use it enough to warrant the purchase of a new one, but I will say that my instructor uses one from Sporty's that I like alot because it can keep numbers stored in its memory so that you can plug the numbers in instead of remembering them from a previous function. The best thing to do if you can is find a place that has them in stock so that you can try them out to see which fits best for you. If I were to recommend one to you, I would say the model that sporty's has which comes in two models, the regular "thick" kind (which is cheaper), and the one that comes with holes on the side to snap into a chart holder and is alot thinner (the more expensive version). Here is a link:http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&D...ID=225&CATID=93andhttp://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&D...D=4913&CATID=93Hope this helps,CraigEDIT: Just saw this review on one of the pages, and thought it was pretty stupid in my opinion. Any one will do as long as you can use it:"I told my student I would not teach him if he did not get the Sporty's E6B flight computer to use." -Joani Feiner, CFI

Thanks Much Craig.I saw the one at sporty's and a good price too. I was also eyeballing the one at www.mypilotstore.com called theASA CX-2. It has about 20 more functions than sporties model buthavent found anyone who has used it.Thanks muchBobG

Bob, Sporty's carries that model also, but it looks like the link you found is 5.00 cheaper than Sporty's. I dont know what each one charges for shipping, but I will say one great thing about Sporty's. Their shipping is amazingly fast. When I was growing up in Ohio, I could order something from them and as long as I placed the order by noon, I would have the item the next business day. I think thats incredible. Looks like mypilotstore.com is in AZ, so whichever one is closest might be best.Craig

Guest lawyerpilot

Sporty's computer rocks!Although, I have not had one instance in the air where I have needed to use a computer, especially when using a GPS, whether handheld or panel mounted IFR certified.P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPInstrument rated ASELAOPALawyerPilots Bar Association"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

Guest Twister

Hi Bob,I strongly recommend Sporty's Flight Computer. It's functionality is still unmatched.The ASA computer is worthless in my opinion because of the extremely poor quality of its screen. The digits are unreadable in most ambient light conditions.I purchased the ASA computer a few months ago and threw it in the garbage out of frustration !Go for the Sporty's !Twister

Hi Bob,I''m gonna have to agree with Twister. I bought the ASA because it has more features than the Sporty's. It is a great box, but the screen is horrible. I can't believe there is no backlight. I haven't tried the Sporty's but I would try to check anything out in person before you buy it. If you have a PDA, you can get a software E6B, which is the way I'm gonna go next. It should be alot better as long as you don't need it for the FAA written since they won't let you use PDA's to take the test. Not to mention all the other great apps available for PDA's:www.ipaqsoft.net/php/results.php?type=aviationwww.controlvision.comwww.teletype.com/pages/gps/aviation.html-------------Michael

I have had the Sportys E6B for 3 years now. I love it, and it's good on batteries. I changed them for the first time 3 months ago. Don't get the new thin one though. A guy in my CFI class got that, the buttons got messed up by keeping it in the binder.

Hi all! It's the Sporty's model for me. I've had it about 3 years and love it. While I don't tell my students that "...I won't teach you if you don't have one", I do encourage them to consider getting one. Usually, after they've used mine to plan one of their cross countries, they will be on the phone to Sporty's ordering one.Regards,ScottKJMS

"...now let's get this thing on the hump - we've got some flyin' to do!" ~ Major Kong from "Dr. Stranglove"

Scott Cebula

Thanks TwisterThats the kindof feedback I was looking for. I will avoid this oneTks AgainBobG

Tks ScottLooks like I will order Sporty's model.Thanks for everyones inputBobG