Sign in to follow this  

Helicopter dust effect

Guest Dakota

I noticed some of the helicopter models have a dust effect when landing on dirt? Does anyone know how to edit the model to add it to those that don't have it?

Every helicopter should have this effect, likewise with the water spray effect.However, in order for the effect to show up, the collective needs to be about 40-50%. I have a few helos that take off and hover with about 20-30% thrust. These helicopters have the effect just like the rest, but they won't show it because they take off too easy. If you feel daring, you could try editing the aircraft.cfg to add weight or reduce power.

Guest Calb

Hello John,Psychophant1's answer is somewhat incomplete. He is correct in that every helicopter will raise both dust and spray, including those imported from FS98 or FS2000.What he fails to mention, and is perhaps unaware of, is you don't get dust just anywhere. I'm sure you're both aware you don't get dust on runways, taxiways and ramps -- just as it should be. What you may not know is, you have go get well away from some airports before you'll find ground that gives you dust. Meigs is a good example. You have to go approximately 2 miles south before you will get it. (I didn't check the distance in any other directions).Another example -- at my home airport, we have an east-west runway which is on the north side of the airport. If you hover on the north side of that runway, right up to the edge, you get dust. However, if you hover on the south side, you don't get dust. So you see.... it will be different all over and as yet, I haven't noticed any visual means of telling.So, don't mess with the CFG file, it won't help.Regards,Calhover long and prosperFor the best in FS Helicopter Training, visit:http://members.shaw.ca/hoversafe/Hoversafe.htm

Guest cwright

I'm intrigued by this. It occurred to me some time ago that low, fast-flying aircraft would also kick up dust and spray. Do you know what precisely it is that enables the effect for choppers - and would it be possible to add it for other aircraft? Best regards, Chris

If it was actual physics kicking up actual virtual dirt, I would say yes. But it's not. The logic in the code probably looks something like this: (Not actual code -- just my imagination)If helicopter = yesand throttle >= 40%and surface = dirtand altitude <= (mesh_elevation + 50)then run fx_rtrlnd.fxMaybe on FS2004 or FS2006 the vortecies behind the aircraft will be capable of kicking up dust and water, but right now, we've gotta settle for what we've got. (go fly a helo in CFS2 or FS2000 if you need to appreciate what we've got)And just for fun:http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/User_files/3d9712df7ee3a700.jpg5 point to the first person to figure out how I did this.

Sorry Calb, oversight on my part. There is an effect in the library called fx_rtr_cmnt.fx. I haven't experimented with it (yet :-wink2 ), but me may be able to have a dust effect on concrete.{shameless_pluge_mode) Do a search in the library for rotorfx2.zip. I think you may find it interesting. ;) {/shameless_plug_mode)**Edit**Oops! I didn't realize it wasn't here. I just uploaded it now, or you can find it at Simviation.com.

Guest nobicus

You have to alter the aircraft.cfg file in FS2002. The full "effects" section should look like the following:-"EFFECTS"wake=fx_wakewater=fx_spraydirt=fx_tchdrtconcrete=fx_sparkslandrotorwash=fx_rtr_lndwaterrotorwash=fx_rtr_wtrcementrotorwash=fx_rtr_cmntfor " you should read square brackets. I tried to oput them in but in this forum anything in square brackets disappears!!!!As I do not have FS2004 I should be interested if anyone could tell me whether this works for them.This is listed in the aircraft container SDK from Microsoft.