Sign in to follow this  

New System troubles

OK, I upgraded everything. Got a new P4 2.4/MX440 64meg (yeah I know, that video card sucks) ;-)My problem is that after an hour usually less, my system just starts to run out of resources, stuters and becomes unusable. I never had to reboot as many times as I do now just to fly.I was running a 500mhz system with SDRAM before this, now I get 2.4G's and the thing can't handle this game??? I don't get it? I use enditall as well. Any ideas?

You did not mention which operating system you are using and how much RAM you have installed...... experts might want to know before responding :-) :-outta Francois :-wave________________________Francois A. "Navman" DumasAssociate Editor &Forums AdministratorAVSIM Online!email: fdumas@avsim.com________________________

Francois A. 'Navman' Dumas

Posted Image

EuropeRides

... and the man's Blog

Yeah, sorry forgot to mention that. ;-)Windows XP Home and 256DDR 2700Not sure what Cacheman is unfortunatly. Thanks guy's

Guest ba747heavy

Fred --Cacheman is a utility made by OuterTechnology( http://www.outertech.com )Basically, it is a utility that monitors memory and such. I have downloaded it, installed it, but never really messed with alot. But a lot of people like it. It can modify all kinds of low level settings.BTW -- 256 MG of RAM is not enough for WinXp....Xp is a memory hog, try to get 512 at least. A friend of mine runs WinXP Pro with 512 MG of RAM and he has not had any trouble with FS, or anything like that. :-)Fred

Guest flightpro08

>BTW -- 256 MG of RAM is not enough for WinXp....Xp is a >memory hog, try to get 512 at least.Right on. 512MB of RAM is the way to go. :-) (If you can, I'd recommend upgrading your video card as well, to at least a GF3 Ti500.) Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

More memory...Better card... Faster CPU so on ...so on.... :)Honestly guys, these advices does not help much.Why not say: Get a pilot licence, buy a Kingair 350 or a Learjet and you do not need FS2002 at all.I've got 2 pc's 1 with 762MB and a TI4400 128MB card, the other one with 256MB & Gf2 PRO 32MB.Of course the first one is faster, better framerates, more details etc.But the bottom line here is:The other one with 256DDR & GF2 cards runs FS2002 quite nicely with moderate settings (NO antialisas , target framerate max 15 ) medidum resolution etc..(Forgot to say AMD Athlon 1,3 GH Thunderbird)So my advice is:Start off with the settings in FS2002 on low. Start flying. Fly for a while with differeant planes. Then increase little by little the settings. Eventually you will end up with the best combination of FPS & details that you gear can handle. Norvald Olsvold

Guest ba747heavy

Norvald --Why doesn't this advice help? It is a solution to his problem, and probably the best one, as his PC keeps locking up when he runs FS for extended amounts of time!! Yeah, prolly turning down some options would help, but not alot, I would wadger(of course, I do not know for sure as that I have never had this problem). Bottom line, Mr. Olsvold, is that the best solution to the problem IS more RAM(again, in my best guess, as well as others who have made there opinion knows here). So I ask you, why should we NOT give him the best percieved solution to his problem?Your advice has merits too, more FPS at the cost of beauty of FS. Like I said before, probably won't solve the problem.Anyway, I do not want to sound harsh, sharp, pointed, blunt(well yes, blunt is what I wanted to sound like). So I apologize now if you get offended, as this was not my intention.

Guest SD Sim

Hi Norvald,You don't mention your OS. I'm guessing it isn't XP. The above posts are spot on with respect to memory, 256 just isn't enough to run XP and MSFS. Why would Fred want to buy a P4/2.4 only to turn all his settings down? He won't need to if he invests in that second stick of memory. BTW - Fred, with such a powerful CPU, you really should get yourself a better videocard to go with it.

XP professional.Detonator 28.32 for the smaller system, 40.71 for the bigger.and OBS OBS: 4In1 drivers for VIA chipset.Norvald Olsvold

IMO: A system that keeps locking up after a while on 256MB will eventually lock up on a 512MB as well, just may take longer.I totally agree that more ram is the way to go for better performance and smoother operation. Should be choosen BEFORE better card, or faster CPU.However i still think that there must some other cause to the lock up problem.There are unfortunately many possible causes, and not easy to pinpoint anything.A more detailed description from the guy may help:Drivers for the card. (can't remember if he mentioned that)Has it been like this since FS2002 was installed?Does it happen on any airport, whith any plane?After a while...How long is that? 5 min, 30 min , 2 hrs..Is it only FS2002 it self that locks up, or is the whole PC stuck.Is FS2002 the only program that has the problem ?Are any other programs active? Norvald Olsvold

Well, I was running Win2K2 with a 500mhz Celeron processor with 512megs of SDRAM.Now I have a P4 2.4 and the frame rates are maxed out. It seems to creep in an hour or two after flying online with Roger Wilco. I'm wondering if it's the onboard audio?I already had planned on at least doubling my ram and going for the ti4400 in about a week, we'll see what happens then.thanks for the help!

A more detailed description from the guy may help:Drivers for the card. (can't remember if he mentioned that)Has it been like this since FS2002 was installed?Does it happen on any airport, whith any plane?After a while...How long is that? 5 min, 30 min , 2 hrs..Is it only FS2002 it self that locks up, or is the whole PC stuck.Is FS2002 the only program that has the problem ?Are any other programs active?OK, good questions. Here ya go ;-)Driver is: 28.32It seemed to work fine the first day I installed FS2002.Awhile, is sometimes not for 2 hours, other times immediatly.It appears to only be FS2002 that has trouble.Other programs are usually FS Nav, Roger Wilco and sometimes Hypersnap (but rarely).Thanks again!

BTW - Fred, with such a powerful CPU, you really should get yourself a better videocard to go with it.I am I am I am ;-)_))))Just couldn't wait anymore ;-)) I'll upgrade the video card in one week.thanks!