Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dave March

XP FS & RAM

Guest Dave March

Hi All,Is anyone using Windows XP Pro with 1Gig RAM and running FS with no problems?I've just finished building a P4 2.5Hz PC running XP Pro and all works just fine with 512Mb RAM. As soon as I add another 512Mb FS will lock up. In fact it's not just FS but other programs too. I tried both sticks of memory on their own with no problems, but the two together... no go!I'd be interested to hear from anyone with similar problems or with no problems using a similar setup.CheersDave March

I'm not sure if P4s work the same way, but on my A7V333, I have to run 2 sticks in slots 1 & 3. If I run them in 1 and 2, I get hangs/restarts.MattAsus A7V333Athlon XP 2000+512MB Samsung PC2700Visiontek Geforce 3

Hi,I too have 1 gig of memory (single stick) and am running XP Pro, and I do in fact experience a problem in FS2002. The problem is not serious enough to convince me to revert to 512 megs, but it is definitely annoying. If I select something from the menu in the middle of a flight, on rare occasions I will get a BSOD stating a "bad_pool_caller" has occured. Fortunately it doesn't happen 100% of the time but it certainly dissuades me from trying to save or change the weather while I am flying. This doesn't just happen in FS2002 but can also occur in Age of Empires II or Need For Speed: High Stakes. Other games are immune to the problem, so I just assume those games were programmed to handle high amounts of memory. Hopefully FS2004 will be as well. I would however recommend that people just stick with 512 megs until the next generation of computer programs are released.-Derek

Guest WorkingStiff

Most "Bad Pool Caller" errors are related to video card drivers.Are you running updated drivers for your video card?

Running XP Pro, FS2002 and have 1024K RAM with no problems. Be certain that your bios/board will allow you to use that quantity of memeory: some boards may well have the slots for it but be limited in some other way: for example, I had an ASUS CUSL-2C which has 3 memory slot: You may put a total of 512K in them any way you like but no more. ore= NO BOOT.Suggest you check and make certain that the board will, in fact , allow that much memory.Besr Regards,Ed Green, KCLTegreen1@carolina.rr.com

Guest gasebah

Dave,I tried and the 1024MB made more trouble than they did good. The thing is that if you have 4-way interleave enabled especially FS2002 makes agressive use of your RAM. The amount of access to the RAM lets it get awfully hot and that makes your whole system unstable. I finally got it running stable but had to go oh so slow on memory timings that in fact my system was slower with 1024MB than it ever was with 512MB. I tried all kinds of similar sticks from Apacer to Infineon. My buddy at my computer store finally went nuts. To make a long story short I rolled back to 512MB and I am fine.Alex

winXP and 1 gig ram: 512&256&256 and alls ok...up to now :D

Guest gasebah

I see guys. Well, go figure , maybe my mobo.Alex

Guest Dave March

Thanks for all the replies.My board certainly does (or should) take 1 Gig (2 Gig infact), so that's not the problem.Ah well, I'm waiting for a reply from the board manufacturers (Albatron) and will enlighten you all when I get an answer.CheersDave March