Sign in to follow this  

Frolov's Dash 8...Sorry , Just not willing to .....

Please take this post the RIGHT way. I love what Oleksiy Frolov has done with the Dash 8. AND I'd love to fly it. However, I just don't have the time and patience to do it right! The panel is just too involved, and getting the plane to fly without all the warning sounds, and the idiosyncracies involved is just TOO MUCH. I know all you "diehard" FSimmers will jump down my throat, but I work a 12-16 hour day, love flight simming, enjoy moving down the runway and taking a flight. Needless to say, I'm looking forward to the PSS Dash 8. I've gotta believe that it will be easier to start, take off and enjoy. I hope so...because I love the looks of the Dash 8, and wish to fly a good model. Believe me, I've read Frolov's manual, and I can't even SEE THE PANEL CLEARLY to enjoy setting it up.Hey Oleksiy, how about an "easy start" panel for those of us who aren't into the total realism, but just want to fly. If you don't do it, someone else will. Stan

Hey Stan ! Jast noticed your post.You are absolutelly right ! This panel is not for easy start, even though it takes me 40-50 seconds usually from cold start to "ready to taxi" :)There will be likely no other "easier" version, cause the primary consumers of this product are airlines (for now - 3) who are using it for Dash-8 pilot training. So it is not true "freeware" project. Distributing this for free private use allowes me to locate the bugs and improve the overall quality. As what i have seen on PSS, they are doing just what you need (except may be an EFIS). They also will provide you with a great visuals of both interior and exterior. I'm sure it will be easier to start and fly, because that what most of flightsimmers would like to do ! My model is instead dedicated for 100% realistic simulation of an airplane. As for reading the labels on my panel - if having problem on 1280x1024 (minimum res) - use Switch&Light guide included in 1.002.regardsOleksiy

Oleksiy--I knew your panel was incredible, but I had no idea it was a real-world pilot training aid as well! :7 So while I certainly understand that work, time, and sanity limit the amount of realism that any given person wants in a FS addon, I'd rather have the community's best minds erring on the side of too much realism, not too little :-) And I think a PS1/professional-training quality Dash 8 panel is about as real as we're likely to get in a freeware release, or even 99% of payware releases, anytime soon.:-outta

Guest sbdwag

OleksiyI love your creation. Thank you for making it available to us free. I cant imagine how much time and dedication you have put into it. I am looking forward to your improvements in overall quality. Although is seems to be a very complete endeavor for the first or second release.Again thank you for this wonderful productDennishttp://wagsterstuff.com/wsslogo.jpgwww.wagsterstuff.com

I not only don't mind realism I absolutely adore it. But it is not enough if you can't see stuff on the screen. Visuals are a significant part of the total simulation. If they are missing - I may as well sit on my sofa, read the 'real' checklist and imagine I am flying. ;-)Michael J.

Right, though you also need someone else to make a bzzzzzzz to complete the picture ;)

Guest PhilipManwaring

The intense detail and system management are what I love MOST about this panel. I know it's not for everybody, but this has become one of my favorite panels and aircraft. If you're looking for bugs, I did find a really obscure one that you may want to note. If your default startup in MSFS has engines and magnetos off, when you load the Dash 8 it will also start with these off. Not a problem, but once you startup and fly, you lose the CDI on the HSI after about 20 minutes. Restoring the default flight to one with engines running solves the problem. Obviously this isn't a big problem for your commercial customers, but it might point you to something that isn't quite hooked up correctly in the electrical systems of the panel. I only mention this in case its helpful - I'll repeat that I absolutely love this panel package. I'll never forget the first time I unfeathered the props and heard that magnificent sound set!Thanks,Philip.

Stan (and others),If you don't mind me asking: why do you insist on flying this particular aircraft then ? There are so many other (visually excellent) "simple-to-operate" freeware aircraft.The only thing that make this Dash such a fantastic addon, IS the complexity and realism of its start/flying procedures. If it weren't for that, it would just be another "13-in-a-dozen" aircraft.IMHO.Rob

Hi Philip ! Just a short notice about your problem with EADI and EHSI turning off. I always start the Dash with the engines off (in a previous plane) and did not experience this specific prob. yet. It might be that you forgot to turn AC or DC gens ON after start. In this case battery will drain at around 30-40 minutes, leaving you without any power. Also make sure you turn all Ext. power off before you unfeather props.regardsOleksiy

Hear, hear, Rob.How many times a day do we read in this forum about "this isn't right, that isn't right ... not as real as it gets, could be improved" etc. etc. .... then when a real gem like this comes along, some want things simplified again. By the same author, when there are dozens of other choices out there in freeware! Aaarrggggh. Abraham Lincoln was right, after all.Oleksiy, I would also like to thank you for what is one of the most incredible aircraft created for flightsim to date.Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitak.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/reds.htmlhttp://www.swiremariners.com/cxkaitakv3.jpg

Guest Martin

>As what i have seen on PSS, they are doing just what you >need (except may be an EFIS). They also will provide you >with a great visuals of both interior and exterior. I'm sure >it will be easier to start and fly, because that what most >of flightsimmers would like to do ! My model is instead >dedicated for 100% realistic simulation of an airplane. Hmm... Why do you assume that the PSS simulation will be less realistic?You are right of course that it will come with a great visual model (including great virtual cockpit). :-)Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

>Hey Oleksiy, how about an "easy start" panel for those of us >who aren't into the total realism, but just want to fly. If >you don't do it, someone else will. > Stan It has already been done. It's called the "Default Dash 8". You can download files that make the Default Dash 8 flyable. There are also panels available for it using default gauges. You can start it up with just a press of Ctrl-E. Should be perfect for your needs.

Guest wkzzo

To me its perfect, I only like aircraft that are involved and realistic in operation. Looking forward to the FMC version. There are plenty of non realistic operating aircraft to chose from but very few that are this detailed in operation especially for free! Thanks again Oleksiy .

Guest PhilipManwaring

Oleksiy,I did check the generators and they were on, but I may have unfeathered before disconnecting ground power. I'll check that and see if I can recreate the problem. Even so, shouldn't power be supplied to the CDI receiver regardless of battery condition as long as generators and engines are running? Anyway, thanks for making a battery that actually drains at a reasonable rate! With the regular MSFS system, you barely have time to start the APU before the battery dies!Thanks again,Philip.

Guest PhilipManwaring

Oleksiy,I tried turning off group power before unfeathering per your suggestion. This fixed half the problem in that the HSI didn't go away even after 50 minutes. However, the other symptom I'd noticed in this condition (gear inop) was still evident. ie., after 50 minutes on the ground with props unfeathered and gens running, the gear wouldn't raise upon takeoff. The lever moved and lights came on, but the outside view showed the gear still down. I can fix this by having my default flight start with magnetos on, but I thought I'd mention it for your ongoing development. Thanks again,Philip.