Sign in to follow this  
Guest Muppet22

Can anyone explain this?

Guest Stamatis

Hmmm... In that case I would bet my money that this is a video card/motherboard combination problem.I had exactly the same problem as you, and it only went away when I cahnged my video card. But of course, others with then same videocard as me did not have this problem, this is why I am led to believe it is a video/mobo combination issue, not just a video card/drivers problem.Anyway, best of luck, I have been where you are.Stamatis

Guest Muppet22

Hi StamatisIf what you say is true - shouldn't I have always had the problem since the day my MOBO and GFX card were first used together?:-)

Guest Muppet22

Anyway I won't really be at ease till I get this problem sorted, I have a day off today so I'm off to format my HD - not before time anyway!If this don't cure it then I know it's a hardware config problem!Will report the results later on this evening!Cheers

Guest Stamatis

True :-)When you say "of late", did the problem appear without you changing nothing software and hardware wise? Your view changed all of asudden on its own initiative?Then this is indeed very strange...Stamatis

Tom says it started two weeks back.Poor Tom! I wish I could help you.But somehow I think there should be a solution. Computers are man-made contraptions - not like us human beings, God made. I think the solution is there somewhere.Well Tom, can you try this one: Try changing your monitor resolution from 24 bit-high colour to 16 bit high colour. Click Start>settings>Active desktop>Customize my desktop. On the display properties, change from 24 bit true colour to 16 bit high colour. Restart your computer for settings to take effect. Start FS2002 and fly again. Is THE LINE still there?Best regards,Dr. Jinesh ThomasResident in Internal MedicineINDIA.

Guest nutmeat

Lot's of good suggestions here for improving your FPS to get decent scenery. I'll add mine as a result of extensive testing and the following works very well for me, giving me an average 40 FPS with thr Cessna 182RG over Western Hi-Res terrain at 7500 feet. Also use FSUIPC to calibrate your joystick settings.First, set the Frame Lock to "unlimited" (the Max setting). The software is the best judge of what it needs to prioritize in real time and it will ignore trying to meet a predetermined frame rate. The end result is smoother operation with higher overall frame ratesSecond, with faster processors, set the control sensitivities all the way to the LEFT! Apparently, FS2002 uses these settings to determine how frequently it needs to check the present position of the joystick; fast processors are fast enough to keep up with control movements even with all the other processing going on. With my CH Products FS Yoke on the USB, this move picked up 5-10FPS on the average, and I seem to have even greater response to small inputs than I did before.Using this with the other tweaks which have mentioned allows me excellant and acurate flight control with very detailed scenery all the way to the horizon.Athlon XP2000+NVIDIA GeForce TI 4600 128mb Graphics, 4X AGP in fastwrite mode512mb RAMDetonator 4.0.7.1DirectX 8.1Windows XP ProComplete 2 Rack GoFlite setup on USBOh, by the way, anyone running the Home edition of Windows XP should really upgrade to the Pro version (MS seems to have put in timing delay loops in the Home version as the Pro appears much, much faster).Also, the attached screenshot loses some sharpness in the conversion process. The view in FS is actually sharper than this picture.

Guest Muppet22

Well,I formatted and changed a few lines in the fs2002 config file and voila a whole new fluid, smooth, crisp FS - magic! Let's hope it stays that way!:-) :-)

Guest nutmeat

Looking much better! For the record, do you recall which lines you changed and their settings?You might try also changing the sensitivities to see if you get a better frame rate.nutmeat

Guest Muppet22

HiI followed this advice.....Tweaks in FS2002.cfg:"GRAPHICS" section:* TextureMaxLoad=65536"TERRAIN" section:TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=14.110000TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=60.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=40.000000TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4from this thread....http://www.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID8/25499.html

Guest Stamatis

I am very happy that you solved your problems, it must feel real nice to be able to enjoy the full capabilities of FS2002 sceneries!But at the same time, I am sorry that we are no wiser than when this thread started, cause we don't have a clue what caused your problem...Btw, when you say you "formatted", what exactky do you mean?Did you reformat your hard disk?Did you re-install FS2002?Stamatis

Guest Muppet22

I formatted the whole thing!

Guest Stamatis

Ouch!! That was what I was afraid off...Stamatis

Guest Muppet22

LOL well I was toying with the idea for quite a while to clean out all the junk, and this provided me with the perfect excuse :-)Anyway I'm glad i did it now!

Guest Stamatis

Tom,My only comment on the above settings is that TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=14.110000means that your Mesh Complexity slider is set to only 31%, which is an admittedly very low value. In theory, the mountains should look pretty flat with such a setting.Stamatis