Sign in to follow this  

More on flight dynamics needed

Don't get me wrong, I think Avsim is head and shoulders above other similar sites. The library is great, forums are active, and there's an obvious level of journalistic professionalism.But increasingly I think our hobby is divided into "eye candy" users and people obsessed with flight dynamics. I'm in the latter group, but I have complete respect for those who focus on visuals. With all the AI traffic and detailed visual models and scenery, I'm amazed at how true to life some people can make their virtual worlds.Unfortunately, I think attention to faithfully recreated flight dynamics gets short shrift on Avsim. Too often, reviews have only scant information on whether the aircraft handle like the real thing. Sometimes reviews mistakenly conclude that if an airplane is easy to fly or feels "right", the flight dynamics are good. I'm not saying only 747 captains or aeronautical engineers should write reviews, but reviewers should be more thorough in documenting whether airspeeds and fuel flows are accurate for a given throttle setting & pitch attitude, and whether aircraft stability is consistent with an airplane's real life reputation.I propose that every commercial and freeware plane reviewed on Avsim should be explicitly rated on both looks and performance. Many aircraft designers aspire only for visual fidelity; that's fine, but please say so in the review.I'd be interested to hear what you guys think about this topic...:-waveMike

ugcx_banner.png

Amen, Mike.The most recent assault on fidelity in flight dynamics comes from otherwise reputable firms such as PMDG and PSS, who are now releasing add-ons touted as compatible with both FS2002 and FS2004 while using the same flight dynamics parameters for both.It's already well-documented that the two versions of MSFS behave quite differently for a given airfile and config file...use of the same file in both versions cannot be accurate in at least one (and possibly both) of the sims. The recently released PMDG 737 and the just-released PSS A330/340 both claim to have highly accurate flight models, yet they use the same flight model in both versions.Real-world pilot or engineer review isn't everything, either. PSS claimed to have real-world pilot buy-in on their Dash-8 add-on, even while it would fly an on-speed approach at something like a 7 degree nose-high deck angle. My subsequent experience flying in a real Dash-8 and talking with a number of South African Airways pilots verified what my years of flying told me was intuitively obvious--that the deck angles in those FDEs were really a long way from the mark, anonymous "real-world" pilot review notwithstanding.RegardsBob ScottATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-V L-300Washington, D.C.

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Guest GOAROUNDFLAP15

All aircraft manufacturers supply data on flight dynamics at a price. As full motion simulators employ networked PC's there is no reason why the gap shouldn't close very rapidly. Here is what Boeing provide:-Simulator Data SalesBoeing can provide all the data simulator operators need to make their operations as seamless as possible. Our Flight Technical Services department draws from engineering and manufacturing resources, as well as a deep well of historical data, to provide the most up-to-date information.Tailored Data Packages - Boeing can tailor data packages to meet operator needs. Among data available are engineering drawings, wiring diagrams, flight operations manuals and maintenance manuals. Data packages also can contain simulation documents on aerodynamics, propulsion, flight controls, ground handling, aircraft systems, sound and vibration. These dedicated simulation documents include proof-of-match data, system descriptions, math models and checkout data.Special Services - Among the wide variety of special services available to support all phases of simulator programs are consulting for any phases of procurement or updating, even up to turnkey services; pilot and subject-mater expert engineering support for testing, evaluation and regulatory approval; and simulator maintenance and operations consulting.For more information, please contact us at:Simulator DataP.O. Box 3707, MC: 20-05Seattle, WA 98124-2207Phone: (206) 662-7870Email: simulator.data@boeing.com

I agree that the flight dynamics are very important and should be given as much attention as the model of the aircraft. In the past I have tried to give as much information as possible about the flight dynamics, but will definitely spend more time in that area. Any other suggestions would be welcomed as well.Thanks for the postBrian Fletcher