Sign in to follow this  

OK! Time to build a new system for FS2002(4)

While my P4 2.0Ghz is still chugging away happily and for the most part I am content with my FS2002 performance, I think it's time to build a new system just for FS2002 (darn this hobby costs alot). I was reading MaximumPC (Sept 2002) and they have built what is supposed to be the fastest PC on the planet right now. And even though technology will probably eclipse the system soon, I figured I would copy their system spec for spec. Here are the details for those who are interested:P4 2.8Ghz (I'll over clock it to 3.0Ghz) - Maximum PC put in a 2.53Ghz and OC'd it to 2.8 so mine will be fasterAsus 4T533 Motherboard with Intel 850E Chipset and RAID512MB Samsung RIM4200 32Bit RAMBUS Memory - OC'd from PC1066 to PC1200 (note: PC1200 Memory is not available yet so I will have to improvise here)ATI Radeon 9700 128MB DDR - Who would believe it beat the Geforce4 Ti4600 and is now the fastest vid-card on the market? 120GB Western Digital Caviar WD1200JB 7200RPM HDCreative Labs Audigy Gamer (no need to waste money on the Audigy Platium and it's doo-hickies since I'll never hook my PC up to a home entertainment center).Case is yet to be determined, but it will be all Aluminum and be decked out with blue cold cathode ray tubing so that it glows at night :-PCooling will be provided by at least 5 fans and water cooling for the CPU, Memory and Video CardI've ordered all the parts and will build it this weekend. With that said, FS2002 had better SCREEEEEEEEEEEAM!!!!

Thanks alot Mike. I was feeling pretty good about the P4 2.5 processor that Fed Ex dropped off for me this morning, but now I guess I'll have someone else to envy....

Guest abent

GEEZ...What's a system like that go for? :-eek I'm planning an upgrade too, but I'll have to buy something in Canada where the availability is lower and the prices higher!Adam

Guest Scoobe

I am planning on up-grading my P4 2.2 to a 2.8, But I read on Toms Hardware somewhere that the 3.0 will be out in Nov. Even if you don't go for the 3.0, the prices of the 2.8 will come down. Its worth waiting a month. Thats what Im going to do.Rob

Mike, I get the MaxPC mag in the mail too, and I was slobbering all over myself when reading that article. Im a student and a po' man so I have to go for the financial sweetspot, which was an AMD XP 2000+ and PC2700 a couple of weeks ago. The good thing is that my motherboard is so far compatible with up to 2600+ (through bios updates) and maybe more, so the next upgrade will be sooner since the only upgrade will be the CPU. Im very interested in knowing how the system runs if you build it, so please let us know.Craig

Hi Mike,>>Asus 4T533 Motherboard with Intel 850E Chipset and RAIDThis Asus mobo looks great on paper but lot of people reported problems running even on default speed. Check this thread on hadocphttp://www.hardforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=454638Alternative would be Gigabyte GA-8IHXP with regular 16bit PC1066 RAMBUS modules.Cheers,Petar

Guest flightpro08

For an Intel system, I'd recommend an EPoX motherboard. Oh, and I'd also recommend staying away from ATI. While the 9700 is a bit faster than the Ti4600, I haven't heard anything but bad things from users about the 9700.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

At 2x the processing power and faster memory than the Ti4600 I can't pass up the ATI 9700. Besides, I already have a Ti4600 in my current machine so if the 9700 is as bad as you say, then I'll swap em out, As far as the MoBo, I swear by ASUS, always have had one in my PC's and besides they offer the best platforms for Overclockers such as myself! :-lol. I intend to bend and twist this system until she breaks.Regards,Mike T.

Flightpro; apparently you haven't been reading much?? Go over to the IL2 forum. They're raving about it. Also, it runs FS2002 and CFS2 perfect if you don't have a bunch of hardware conflicts. It blows away the 4600 when you turn on the things you bought the card for in the first place. If you try to run it on a 220watt Power Supply, you're asking for problems. Anytime a new generation card comes out, there's gonna be a lot of space cadets who can't get it to run. That's not the cards fault. So far, mine's flawless.

Guest flightpro08

Geez man, chill out. Wasn't flaming the card at all.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

Hi Petar!Thanks for the info, but 16-Bit Memory would defeat the purpose of building this sys. I need the 32-Bit memory to be able to call her the "fastest PC on the planet" (according to Maximum PC :-cool)

Nice system you have coming Mike :)I wouldn't touch Epox ever again. I'm an Asus man. I'm waiting on their P4PE boards to come out in the next few weeks, they'll have DDR 333 support. Hopefully my 2.53 will overclock a little higher.Right now the only stable FSB I can manage is 150. This puts my P4 @ 2.85. Any higher and it won't post, or resets when it goes into Windows. I might try the pin trick to get 1.85v out of the sucker, should be able to do 3.0 easily then.

Cheers,

John Tavendale
Textures by Tavers - https://www.facebook.com/texturesbytavers