Sign in to follow this  

OK! Time to build a new system for FS2002(4)

Everything over 1.75v is dangerous for 0.13 northwood. Also check the actual voltage with software monitor. With 1.85v running for extended period of time could slowly degrade overclockabilty and eventually kill your CPU.

There is no difference in speed, both have theoretical maximum bandwidth of 4.2 Mb/s. Only difference is that you can run 32 bit PC4200 232 pin as single stick with C-RIMM riser and if you choose 16 bit PC1066 you will need two sticks, 2X256 for example.

Actually, that is not correct. Max throughput for a PC1066 16-Bit with a 533FSB is 4.8GB/sec. Max throughput fora a PC1066 32-Bit is 8.4GB/sec assuming the same 533FSB. I intend to Overclock the 32Bit PC1066 sticks to PC1200 specs which should give me a throughput of 9.6GB/sec by overclocking the 533FSB to 600MHz.Of course these figures are benchmark estimates however, I will effectively double my memory throughput if all goes well.Regards,Mike T.See this article:http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02...srambus-05.html

I am talking about maximum bandwidth in practice. With both 16 bit and 32bit PC1066 with default FSB 133(533) you are going to get around 3300 Mb/s in Sandra.No matter if you use 16bit or 32bit when you overclock 2.8 to 3.0 143FSB your bandwidth is going to rise approximately to 3500-3600 Mb/s.As you pass 155FSB you will probably have to drop memory to X3 in order to reach higher FSB. Highest score as saw was around 4200 Mb/s with memory at X3 and FSB over 190.My point is in that in practice both memories perform same and right now there is just one 32 bit RAMBUS board Asus P4T533 witch is really gambling choice. Epox and MSI boards are coming but you will have to wait at least one month to see how they perform.If you really like Asus and you have to by new system right now get P4T533-C. Same chipset, similar features, uses 16 bit memory. P4T533-C has maximum FSB 156 but that is more than enough if you want to push your chip only to 3 GHz.Here is memory benchmark RIMM4200 against PC1066 in P4T533 reviewhttp://www.hothardware.com/hh_files/Mother...p4t533(3).shtml

Pierre:In no way, shape or form would I have to drop the FSB to 3x to achieve my goals because the ASUS MoBo P4T533 allows seperate overclocking of the FSB, AGP and PCI ports. Taking the FSB to stratospheric heights would not affect the other subsystems because they are not being taken out of spec. Besides that, I can very easily overclock the 2.8Ghz to 3.0Ghz without fussing with the AGP or PCI settings because it is such a small jump.Secondly, the P4T533-C does NOT support 32Bit Rambus. You're missing my point that one of the reasons for selecting PC1066 32BIT RAMBUS is so that I can overclock it to PC1200 standards. PC1200 will be out in a few months and offers faster throughput, thus, in practice both memories do NOT perform the same for my purposes since I don't care how the memory performs out of the box since it will become PC1200 the moment it hits the memory slot!Cheers,Mike T.

>>In no way, shape or form would I have to drop the FSB to 3x to>>achieve >my goals because the ASUS MoBo P4T533 allows seperate >>overclocking of >the FSB, AGP and PCI ports.Memory X3 setting is not related to PCI, AGP speeds. In your case with 21 multiplier and 143 FSB = 3 GHz memory will still take given bandwidth with 4X141=563X2=1126But if you want to go further lets say 3.36 GHz and 160FSB maybe you will have to drop memory to X3 not because of PCI, AGP speeds (they are always same with AGP/PCI lock 66/33) but because you are pumping too much bandwidth 4X160=640X2=1280. Then you will have lower bandwidth to 3X160X2=960.>>Secondly, the P4T533-C does NOT support 32Bit Rambus. You're missing >>my point that one of the reasons for selecting PC1066 32BIT RAMBUS is >>so that I can overclock it to PC1200 standards.Supports 16 Bit RAMBUS PC1066 memory and with two modules as dual channel 2X16bit is SAME as one,two or three 32bit sick of PC4200 RIMM. You can overclock 16 bit PC1066 to PC1200 and have equal bandwidth comparing to PC4200 RIMM. If you check that review again you will see that 16 bit even outperforms PC4200 in Sandra memory test.

Mike; this is where I have settled in with mine. She's a solid 20fps everywhere I've been. Favorite airport is Seattle Tacomba Int.Display: 16x12x32bit (just dropped down to 4xAA & 8xAF with no real noticeable difference in quality)(had tried 6xAA & 16xAF and saw frames once at 16 when landing at Seattle Tacomba)frames locked at 20 and they're a solid 20. (Notice 18-19 occasionally landing at big airports with demanding aircraft)application preference checked for vsyncall terrain/scenery/autogen sliders maxed except mesh at 90%visibility at 90miles and fsuipc set 0-90running default clouds at 60% with second high layer cirruswater on detail (don't like the water reflections that much although no noticeable frame hit when on)all aircraft sliders maxed and all boxes checkedall hardware boxes checked & tri-linear checkedATC set at 40%All sound quality on highestsim loads extremely fast for me (still)completely stable for me.Running California & Michigan land class & autogenius addons

I have a question about this very issue becuase I've been thinking about cost effective ways to upgrade and am curious about this strategy:Buy a motherboard, case, powersupply and CPUStrip the 700+ megs of Rambus memory, the hard drives, the modem, the video card (Ti 4200)and just plug them into the new computer.Are there pratfalls I should be aware of?Do the newest P4s still use motherboards with the Rambus memory? Thanks.

First off, on the Rambus memory....I'm not sure if the newer P4 mobo's support Rambus. As far as going the route of buying a new mobo, CPU, power supply and case, and then cannibalizing the hard drives etc from the old one, it should be fine. I went this route with no problems. On caveat would be to make sure that your hard drive and any other components are as fast and as 'state of the art' as possible so as not to cause a bottleneck in the new system.Just my 2 cents worth.adrianOcala, Florida

Guest GabrielR

Oh God what is these people talking about???????... 4 fans -Water cooling? Are you guys talking about cars? Just Kidding!I just went to Best Buy and bought a crappy compaq 1.3Ghtz (all included) even Windows Me!!!! just one year ago!!It costed me over $2500!! and now I feel that I have an antique!!!!Where can I read about building my own System, I am completely new to this, But I would like to learn, at least the basics.the only thing that I DO know is buying and installing a couple of memory sticks 256 DDR RAM each, which I did a couple of weeks ago. now I am going to buy XP and KILL windows ME from my "antique" forever!!How much would cost to build a state-of-the-art system like that?Sorry to bother with such dumb questions, I would be happy only with a link to follow as reply.ThanksGabriel Ruiz

Yes, the new P4 MoBos support RAMBUS since it still beats the pants off of DDR memory. Also, I am sure your HD's are EIDE ATA 100 so you shouldn't have a problem but there is ATA 133 now which is faster. As long as they are 7200RPM HD's you should be okay.

Rambus is generally faster than DDR but with good DDR memory, motherboard and correct settings in bios DDR is really close to default Rambus speeds.For instance I run Corsair 3200C2 @ 214 FSB, that is DDR428 and close to Rambus 1066 speed.Intel is sampling Springdale chipsets with dual channel DDR support, which are going to double memory bandwidth. First motherboards with Springdale are coming in Q1 2003.Also Intel has officially dropped support for Rambus, so no new Intel chipsets are going to support Rambus memory. That doesn