Sign in to follow this  
Wolfko

What's the proper way to "crab" onto a runway??

The "kick it straight" method is what I had gotten use to also. And all the times I remember when it was really nesessary was in low wing Pipers. Also used the add 10 knots and "pull it off abrubtly" method for takeoffs in strong crosswinds............ where the plane will instantly weathervane and you don't want to chance setteling back to the runway!A few years ago, some pilot wrote an article in a major magazine about landing in a crabbed angle with GA aircraft. He figured it was okay and didn't seem to cause side load problems on the landing gear. With all the negative letters to the editor in the next momths edition------- I don't think anyone else agreed with his statements!L.Adamson

Guest DreamFleet

Oh yeah, Larry, how well I know this, and frankly this is something no one can ever truly appreciate in FS. I always add that 10 knots under such conditions, yet in FS, folks complain if the flight model "pops off". What I did realize this week, after checking out in the Archer, even though it is very similar to my old 235, is that Ron Freimuth got the flight model on our Archer as close as one can get in FS. With the Arrow IV I've been flying it can be a minor nightmare on take off, as I have yet to get used to the fact that that T-tail is so ineffective that I literally have to muster all my strength to pull if off the runway with my left hand, while kicking in required rudder to keep things in line. With the Arrow IV, one should have no worries about taking off with full nose up trim. I have yet to get into that plane and find the stab trim anything but full nose up, as it is always that way, not only during takeoff, but landing too.We also have trees off the ends of most of the runways at CDW, so this only adds to the "fun" during takeoff.The one thing I can say about the Arrow IV is that it makes you a better pilot by dealing with that "727" tail. Of course, after flying the Archer, which was such a delight to fly, I hold nothing but contempt for Piper for putting the stab up there to begin with.NEVER let marketing guys design planes! ;-)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F..._FORUM_LOUE.jpg

Hi :)I'm 100% certain that I've seen a BA 737 "straighten up" after touchdown i.e. the 737 landed with X amount of crab angle, and straightened up afterwards! IMHO The AS2 (Airline Sim 2) rudder is much much better than in FS2002 :). The rudder doesn't feel right in FS2002. Apply full rudder in FS2002 and very little happens - try the same in AS2 and the plane will head for the ground very quickly! :-lolI use AS2 for the ultimate flight "feel" :)http://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav2207_banner.gif

I think this is quite possible. on the www I have found follwong commend on 747s and crabbing:"The 747 is built to withstand landings, where the actual touchdown occurs at as much as a 45 degree crab angle. This is because the wing mounted engines only allow a very small amount of bank angle at touchdown to prevent an engine strike. So, 747 pilots must us the "crab method" of crosswind correction all the way through touchdown, instead of the more landing gear friendly "wing low method." Boeing tested this theory in 45 knot direct crosswinds with no damage to the aircraft or its landing gear."Wolfgang