Sign in to follow this  

Mike Stone's 757 at altitude

I enjoy flying 757's, and really like Mike Stone's work. However, it seems that whenever I am flying his 757 at altitudes like FL310, the aircraft appears in spot view to be flying with a slight nose down attitude. Any way to fix this?

Don't have an answer for you unfortunately but just wanted to point out I noticed this too recently. Also, I have noticed that unless I land with very low airspeed my nose gear touches down almost the exact same time as my main gear, almost to the point of a nose first landing. Wonder if this can be fixed with the .air file somehow?

I have not really noticed either of these attributes yet. I fly mostly short hops in the lower altitudes though. Tonight I did a few approaches and landings and noticed what I think is fairly normal 757 behavior in the flare and landing. Approach at about 130-135 kts and start the flare at about 125 or so. This screenshot is touchdown at about 120 kts which is right on the money but will depend on weight of course. Attitude was about perfect IMHO....(I fly these for a living) Tried a few and this was what I got every time :)http://www.flightsimmers.net/airport/hornit/Td.jpg

There are two parameters in the a/c CFG and .air files that affect this. The first is the main wing "angle of incidence" which is the angle in degrees between the main wing chordline and the fuselage longitudinal centerline. The higher the angle of incidence, the lower the the nose will be in flight for any given angle of attack (angle of attack is the angle between the main wing chordline and the relative wind). To adjust this, open the a/c CFG file with notepad or wordpad, scroll down to the section [airplane geometry] near the bottom of the page, and locate the entry wing_incidence. If you want to raise the nose of your 757 so it flies with a higher deck angle then enter a LOWER number here. Typical values for this entry range from +3 to -1.5. If you adjust this parameter, you should also adjust the horizontal stabilizer angle of incidence to keep the elevator trim at or near the neutral position in level flight at cruise speeds. This entry will be found below the wing_incidence entry in the htail section. Find htail_incidence and enter a value the SAME as the value used in wing_incidence. This is a good starting place and usually no further "tweaking" will be needed. With some a/c (Beech Baron) this htail_incidence parameter is very sensitive and even a tenth of a degree change to the CFG entry will make a big difference. I can't say if this is the case with Mike's 757 however. This should correct the deck angle or nose down attitude for you, but to be safe (and compulsive!) I always open the .air file with AirEd or FDE and correct the angle of incidence values under sections 1204 and 1205 as I find they do not change after CFG file editing. Note: the horizontal stabilizer angle of incidence entry will not be present if you use FDE, you must use AirEd to edit this entry. Having said all this, I must tell you that the benefits of having a higher angle of incidence on flight sim a/c are numerous, increased forward visibility during all modes of flight, the ability to takeoff and land using normal procedures without having a tailstrike etc. I have not "flown" the 757 in question but I find myself in agreement with Hornit after reading his post and viewing his screenshot, it looks just right to me. Try reviewing your takeoffs/landings with the instant replay feature to get a feel for what's really going on in these "critical" phases of flight, this has been a big help to me. However, if you are determined to keep the beverage cart from rolling forward toward the cockpit while cruising at FL310, then the info provided above should help.

120-125 knots hunh? Well maybe I am just coming in too hot :)

Made the changes to the aircraft.cfg file as suggested. Just tested a 757 and at FL330 in spot view aircraft has just a slight nose up appearance. Used -1 for my settings.Thank you Donna!