Sign in to follow this  

FS METEO can someone explain....

By the way-this gives an exuse to mention a feature of fs that is overlooked by many.Right now 17:21 zulu or 1:22 pm eastern standard time I clicked real weather on fs-local is checked.On the real weather screen you will see airport symbols-these are the live stations fs has just downloaded the weather from. If you click on a symbol-the sliders will change to report what weather that station has at the moment.Right now the difference is considerable:cgx for instance has scattered clouds, 10v and moderate winds-ord has heavy rains and 2 miles visibility.This will/should be updated at about 17:53 zulu.But it shows that you will get the changing weather at each station-which will be changed as long as the data feed is good hourly.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Yes-but that weather will be no different than a reporting station in fs's real download unless the weather report has changed-which only happens once an hour!Well, in theory this should be true, but it isn't ;-) They are usually close though. I'd prefer to have my weather imported for me so I don't have to guess when I'll be getting close to another reporting station, then have to pause the game to download weather.That's the beauty of FS Meteo. Not to mention, I can plan my approach with the weather at the destination and adjust enroute if need be if the winds at the destination change.

" I'd prefer to have my weather imported for me so I don't have to guess when I'll be getting close to another reporting station, then have to pause the game to download weather"That's exactly my point-that is the advantage of fs meteo over the fs real weather download. It isn't anymore "accurate" except if in the interval of time you fly the report happens to change-which shlould happen hourly-and to be honest from what I have seen the noaa metars are not always updated or as accurate as the duats feed-which is probably why pilots use the duats.The other advantage is it will transition the weather between stations.However-in my case my area of the world is so populated with stations (usually no more than 10 miles apart) and since I rarely fly a flight of more than an hour I frankly haven't found it to be much of an advantage. If you live in an area of sparce stations and fly longer flights then it is a must have.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

I see. I personally like it for the weather display window the most, which gives me constant weather at my present location and at my destination. Probably why I really enjoy using it ;-)

In the last week we have had a choice between Overcast at 200 and overcast at 1000.Cas

Not sure what you mean-but that is what it was when I scrubbed my flight yesterday!By the way-I just went to the Noaa site and then the duats to compare the latest reports-the noaa one is two hours old!Noaa:KFNT 041553Z 16017KT 3SM HZ CLR 25/21 A2963 RMK AO2 DZE35 SLP029 P0000 T02500211 Duat:Flint MI (Bishop International) [KFNT] hourly observation on the 4th at 12:53pm EST (1753Z)wind 180

Guest etanin

What about layers of upper winds and clouds, is that not something that FSmeteo also has that FSweather does not?

Yes it does...My point was only to the initial poster who stated:"the constant update of weather from internet for up to the minute real time weather"There is no such thing as "real time weather" as it stands now.By the way-doesn't fuipc do much of this now?http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

I think it is more accurate, at least visually.

Just got it:Noaa:KFNT 041553Z 16017KT 3SM HZ CLR 25/21 A2963 RMK AO2 DZE35 SLP029 P0000 T02500211 Duat:Flint MI (Bishop International) hourly observation on the 4th at 12:53pm EST (1753Z)wind 180

Actually, not really.If I fly for 15 minutes in a jet from KBOS towards ALB, say KBOS is overcast 1000 and Worcester (mid-Mass) is clear, FS weather will be updated as I fly. I'll start in cloudy 1000, and then in 5min when I'm getting towards Worcester (especially if flying a jet) Meteo will figure out "Oh, he's over here now, what's the weather here... Clear!" and update FS's weather to be clear. Doesn't matter when the latest METAR update was, it's just the latest position vs last meteo updated posistion.You can even do this in a prop if you have short distances apart and enough difference in the weather, like on the back edge of a front, or flying into Lilli ;>

I haven't found that to be different with fs's weather-just the transition will be more abrupt if the reporting stations are far apart and the weather differs greatly. Fs updates all the stations on a single weather download-fsmeteo updates them on a timer/location basis. However-if in that hour of time no report has changed there is no difference. See the post below on the timelyness of the reports.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest etanin

Ah, OK I agree with you that there is no "real time weather" as it stands now.I thought Fsuipc is only an interface to allow outside programs to feed info into and out of FS. I do not beleve that it will change your weather aside from limits you set within.Am I correct?