Sign in to follow this  
briansommers

garmin 530/430 do i need them?

when i first saw the announcement about these instruments i wanted to get them right away, but when thinking about it, i have the the reality xp gps and radio stack and fsflightmax, i use the reality xp gps for navigating and airspace and the fsflightmax mainly for the weather radar and oh.. hang it i cant think of the name, uh situational awareness of other a/c in the area, ? whats that called? anyway if i have those, do i really need these?? and why would you want both? a little confused and trying to just focus on what i need.anyone?ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

BrianThe Garmin training aid which comes with the real units does not cover every feature of the real units.I was somewhat dissapointed and the best way to learn the real units was in the aircraft or using the manuals.I believe these new FS2002 copies are direct reproductions of the training aids supplied by Garmin.The FS2002 copies claim 80% reality and I dont know what the Reality XP versions claim as a percentage of reality.Even having used the 530/430/Avidyne for around 150 hrs flight time since the aircraft was new in Feb I am still discovering funtions I didnt know about.........so???>hang it i cant think of the name, uh situational awareness of other a/c in the area,

Actually, I don't know if you need this, Brian, but I do! Our flying club has 3 IFR equipped planes, all with Garmin 430s. We have to use the demo to learn the system and frankly I think it would be more fun to use it in flightsim. Someone mentioned the demo isn't 100% functional but I'd say it's a lot closer to functional than ANY GPS addon to date. For one thing, it has all the GPS approaches programmed in and you can visualize them - procedure turn and all. Some of the FMCs have this but no GPS for FS2K2 that I'm aware of. The resolution is superb and you can even see highways, etc. As much as I like the Reality XP GPS and Flightmax, they still aren't as close to fully functional as this in my book.David

ahh! that was helpfull , looks like i'll be getting the both of them, sounds just what i need, just lately after a bad 2k2 crash about 2weeks ago i decided to start over with the s/e piston a/c and work myself up an do it as realistically as i can, so gotta save the pennies!thanksciao!Brian S

Ciao!