Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightpro08

I have to know - why don't you use TrackIR?

First, let me state that I have no ties to the company that makes TrackIR. For me TrackIR has been the greatest evolution in FS, bar none. Yet, I get the feeling I'm one of maybe just a dozen people here that use it. I'm curious why? I don't have a way to do a real survey but maybe you can just reply with one of the following:- not sure what TrackIR is- TrackIR is too expensive- Afraid it will be too difficult to hold my head still- can't see the use of the VC mode anyway until the controls become clickable (soon!)- concerned my spouse might make fun of the dot on my head- otherI just have to know! Thanks for indulging me!David

I'm with ya man...... I've used it for a year now. Try it with the Active Camera Pro, if you haven't allready. Set head latency to 5.00 and ensure you have your seatbelt on. I think once more folks get a taste of free panning which Active Camera provides with the mouse the more popular Tracker will be.I use 3d glasses, tracker{dot on glasses}, Aura interactor, now, active camera, I truly have a virtual aircraft.Have A Good Day !!!! Rex

HowdyI always assumed that when I turned my head left or right etc.. being that the monitor is dead ahead I would be doin the shifty eye thing. :-)SteveCYYZ

Guest flightpro08

I would have to choose "other."I just really don't see a need for it, especially with the relaese of Active Camera. I'd rather save my money and buy a few payware aircraft or scenies or even some new computer parts. ;-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

Steve,I had that concern going in but it turned out not to be a problem. Pretty soon you get accustomed to simply shifting your head left or right rather than turning it - looks the same from the device's perspective. You can adjust the sensitivity to your own tastes but you certainly don't need to turn your head 90 degrees to see the same change in the VC. It's kind of like using your mouse. It doesn't take long to get used to the idea that a small movement of your hand can translate to a large movement on the screen. Think of TrackIR as a head-controlled mouse. It frees up your hands and yoke buttons for more important things (like flying the plane!). Hope this helps!David

Guest PhilC

I would have to go with cost.I just don't believe this particular piece of hardware that costs $119.95 (on sale) would be a worthwhile investment for FS2002. For me the VC coupled with ActiveCamera and my yoke's hat and mouse will do just fine.The money would be better spent of memory, video card, yoke and pedals, etc.Just my 2 cents.

I beg to differ here. Track IR and Activecam are 2 different things. I can't see why they keep being lumped together.The first allows you to change your field of vision by moving (slightly) your head. The second gives you a subjective impression of inertia.I'll get TrackIR asap. And I wont' discard ActiveCam.

Guest kdfw

I can't think of using FS w/o TrackIR and the 3d glasses. Immersion is the key in simulation, you will not get anything better, short of full-motion simulator or flying the real thing. It works grat on IL2, and I'm sure it will work fine on FS2004 and other s/w in the coming yrs.I'll now need to couple this setup w/ this active camera s/w. Pat

Guest jaapverduijn

Shrink's right. TrackIR simulates the VOLUNTARY head movements in VC, ActiveCameraPro simulates the INvoluntary head movements in VC. In other words: they perform completely different, indeed opposite tasks. Jaap Verduijn.

I guess I dont understand the voluntary/involuntary statement.If I wish to look left with TrackIR I move my head. If I wish to look left with ACP I move my mouse. Both of those actions are voluntary.If you mean that by putting in a control movement, say aileron, and the natural reaction of the screen movement is to move your head (involuntary but that would be a ##### of the head not a movement laterally), then I will partially agree. But, normally before a turn you are going to look in the direction you are turning prior to, or at the same time the control input is initiated. Trying to understand.TksBobG

As you can see the statement below had one word bleeped.(involuntary but that would be a ##### of the head not a movement laterally), I meant that word to be a gender of chicken, but tilt will work also.Bob

Supppose you're in a real a/c in a low pattern. You start a steep left turn to align on the rwy. Track IR will allow you to look to the left by rotating your head slightly to the left (voluntary). ActiveCam will push your head to the right because the centrifugal force does that (involuntary).On the whole you'll have two realistic effects: 1- moving your head changes your field of vision 2- The subjective impression of being submitted to the centrifugal force.At least theoretically. It'd be interesting to hear from those who have a TrackIR.

I do agree with this functionality being offered but the effect (Options setting) should be very low. I do not think that the two products are being compared correctly. The movement of the head is voluntary in both products. ACP on the other hand offers some addional functionality. That being the g force sort of reaction.Although the mouse movement for head movement is a great idea and has been used in 1st and 3rd person shooters for not just head movement but walking, running, squatting etc. Personally I think it is a great improvement but here is what I have done that works great. Since I use a Saitek rig (Stick and Throttle),my right hand is always on the stick and I am just plane crappy at moving the mouse with my left hand so what Ive done is this.The Saitek Throttle normally uses the teedar todder control on the bottm side for rudder. I have remapped the rudder to the keys that move the head left and right. Then on my stick, one of the 4 position button is used to move the head up and down. So between these two controls I have complete movement and it works very well. I now use a rotary button on the Throttle for rudder which also works very well.Not to say ACP is not a great product, but for me not having my right hand free (because it's on the stick ) wont work for me. If I ever get a yoke then I will use the heck out of it Im sure. I still use ACP for the latency.BobG

The latency effect is somewhat dampened by the trackIR. I set the latency to max {5.00}. In other words I'm able to offset the sway effect by glancing toward my turn. Where I see the most effect is in the nose of the aircraft looking out my window. It is a swaying of the aircraft that I haven't seen before. Picture this: horizon motion {-------} motion panel motion {-------} motion head motion {-------} motionThe horizon, panel and eyepoint move in different directions. Brake out the airsick bags..........Rex

Guest jaapverduijn

Greetings Bob!The INvoluntary head movements I mean, are those as a result of any movement the aircraft makes. Because of your own inertia the aircraft, in any movement, first tries to kinda move "around" you, and only a (very short) time later your body/head begins going along with the aircraft movement. Ever been on a commercial flight where the nitwit next to you didn't keep his seatbelt buckled all the time? I have... (evil grin)! We hit some windshear or an air pocket or whatever, and within a matter of seconds the aircraft suddenly found itself on a much lower altitude. My buckled stomach settled another second later, and so did the unbuckled guy next to me: from about two feet up in the air crashing back down into his seat, his left bun hitting the arm rest with a sound that made me wince. He kept rubbing his bottom for the remainder of the flight, and I reckon he learned the hard way to stay buckled up all the time. Anyway, it's that kind of movement that I mean, and that is quite nicely simulated by ActiveCameraPro "head latency". Hope this made it somewhat clearer.Be well!Jaap Verduijn.