Sign in to follow this  
Guest robertv

Hanging up my wings,

Hi Brent, Like the previous poster, I don't know you personally, but I can vouch for your excellent work and help from the PFG days, when all we had was MSFS and PF's wonderful works. Like many others, I can understand how the constant bickering, etc. can get one down... I myself drop out of the forums for a time because of such behavior. But I always come back after a while and see things have cleared up and most everyone is back to a happy group. So take some time away, relax and enjoy what you enjoy, then drop back in and see how things are going. Am sure over the years, you know and see the cycle - and once in a while it will get to us. I too, wish to add my voice and say I hope you will reconsider and stay around - even if just in the background - with an occasional post here and there with some of your good and gracious words of wisdom.Best in all you do!Ken Wood :-sun1http://www.avsim.com/hangar/fly/dfdg/bannernewkw.jpgGateway 700X; Intel P4 2.4GHz; 512MB RAM; NVIDIA Ti4200 4X AGP 128MB; SB Audigy; Thrustmaster TopGun Fox 2 Pro Shock

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Hi Brent, hope you have not drifted so far away from us that you have not had a chance to read the posts above. I would wish to add my appreciation to you for your contribution to this great hobby. I may sound a bit harsh but you have never sounded like a quitter to me. If,for one minute, you think you are the only one who has considered throwing in the towel you are sadly wrong. Fortunately the majority of those who have contemplated following your example have reconsidered. If we go through life (and I'm well on in that regard) not doing something we love because of the actions of ignorant, selfish and deficient individuals ..... they win and we lose...... it's as simple as that. I am learning to immediately and completely ignore any evidence of those folks and devote my concentration on all the good, considerate people who continue to frequent our flight sim world and who like yourself contribute so much for the enjoyment of others. Be the great friend you are to all of us and stick with us please. Gary, Member #59436 in an old international club whose motto is "ILLIGITMUS NON CARBORUNDUM EST"

Guest effyouthree

Brent,Like many before me, I have not had the pleasure of dealing with you before. I too have had similar feelings before, after my email inbox was spammed silly by irate users who demanded to know why my aircraft or models didn't work for them (they were written for FU3, not MSFS - Duh...), I nearly pulled the plug. Constantly jamming-up the server made the problem surface in the office too - not a good thing at all.I was about to give it away and I decided to announce a 'temporary' retirement, just to let things cool down.I was then inundated by positive responses and realised that the 'flack' was not coming from Avsim, but from a few 'children' who had nothing better to do than try to 'heavy' me into doing what they wanted. One guy had even downloaded one of my aircraft, tried to 'steal' the resources to use for himself and was demanding that I fixed his (now trashed) AF99 :-eekUnfortunately, mainstream software (MSFS) attract 'mainstream idiots' - in spades. For this reason, I avoid it altogether and concentrate on working for FU3 nowadays. They're a great bunch and always show their appreciation (and politely point out problems) so I've never had to 'leave'.I know it's a different sim but, being non-commercial (now), it attracts true enthusiasts. When any poor fool tries to cause problems, they are dealt with very smartly. Please have a quick browse through the FU3 forum, just to see how it SHOULD be. You'll have trouble picking the users from the developers because we're a friendly lot ;)Oh, and unlike some other forums :-roll , we don't edit our screenshots. I still can't believe that..."Don't (ever) let the turkeys get you down."Regards,**************Jonathan Point**************"I'd rather be down here wishing I was up there than up there wishing I was down here"

Guest C172pilot

Sorry to see you go. I feel that mostly everyone I talk to in this FS-world demand the HIGHEST quality around. However, they fail to realize, if you want it your way, make it yourself. Then there are hte people who bash free-ware.. Personally that is as low as it gets. I think Avsim deserves more recognition for allowing EACH of us to use their site any time we want for FREE. If they were to make some money of it. I would care less, they deserve some money. All I have to say to those who feel the work could be better(on software). GET A REAL LICENSE! You can't compare Fs to the RW. I currently have 40 hours logged IN A CESSNA 172 with American Flyers. I've spent a few 1000 dollars, BUT instead of sitting on my rear every day looking at a 17" screen. I'm doing something actually has an effect. All I have to say to you FS'ers is to take the money you would spend on making your PC redicuously fast and spend it on an intro lesson. Then tell me how good you think you are at flying. Most of you, if not all, feel that if you can fly a Fully loaded 747-400 in FS, you can certainly do it in the RW. I doubt any of you could properly fly even a cessna 152. That means, ALL radio commms,checklists, SOP's. Everything from the walkaround to the shut down. But remember, there is NO CTRL+E... But sir, it is sad to see you go, and I feel I will be joining you soon.

Guest Calb

My thoughts echo everything positive that's been posted so far.Having been involved in volunteer things almost all my working life, it is easy to understand your feelings. Many times I was all set to "pull the pin" when frustration was at a peak. Then, suddenly, this thought would flash into my mind. "No way! You aren't gonna run me off. Not in a month of Sundays". This little touch of anger always gave me enough resolve to pull myself up and out of the hole and resume what I enjoyed.I hope you might see fit to do the same. If not, good luck and thanks for everything.CalChief InstructorHoverSafe Academyhttp://members.shaw.ca/hoversafe/Hoversafe.htm

Guest Erick_Cantu

Brent,I know what you mean. And I feel horrible because I tend to find myself on the whining side far too often, though I'd like to think less often than I used to.Your 737s to me were groundbreaking. You're one of my biggest 737 influences and it's really sad to see you go, but I can understand it. Lately I've been more than tempted myself. When dealing with whetever personal issues we have to deal with, the last thing one needs to put up with is mindless pissing about inane subjects. Funny how it took the death of an SGA member to really drive that point home for me. It's trivial. People need to just shut up and enjoy simmin.'Cheers!-Erick

Guest David Lee 2

Brent,I have "hung up my virtual wings" several times over the many years I've been simming but I always come back. Attitudes and people come and go. I miss the old days when Eric Ernst was active in the hobby but then hated all the BS he was put through. I was an avid Aerowinx PS1.3 user for a year or two and frequented that forum but never quite fit in. I've bounced back and forth between MSFS and Falcon several times but no longer feel smart enough to install all the Falcon patches and upgrades and program my HOTAS system, let alone remember how to control the weapons systems! I'm back to Avsim and FS9 now but I don't recognize the names in the forum anymore. It is still the best source of sim info out there but I spend more time flying than lurking in the forums. IMO flight simulation is a great hobby and has enough breadth and depth to entertain me for a lifetime. I'm thinking the Avsim Convention will probably reignite my passion for the hobby in yet new ways. Best of luck to you in whatever you decide.David

Guest MeltedPixel

I have not yet seen any of your work or posts here on the forums, but it saddens me to see yet another contributor to the flightsim community throw in the towel.I have been simming since the age of 7 (currently 13), and truly appreciate everything Microsoft and Developers have contributed to this great hobby. Not every "game" released has well over 50,000 add-ons available for download. That's what makes this community special. Not just avsim, but the whole bunch of flight simmers.I'm sure you have heard this, but don't few let selfish and ignorant people spoil your good time. The majority, as you can see in this thread, quite frankly have a good head on their shoulders. There are always going to be that gang of people who flame, etc.. If that was the case with general life you would have more then likely committed murder years ago!I quite strongly suggest you reconsider your decision.

Guest robertv

Hello Brent,As written by some above, I too didn't know your work before this post. Did a search in flightsim.com and avsim.com and found we started doing repaints around the same time, 1999 (a century ago). You first release i could find, an Air Belgium 757 (my first a KLM luchtvaart college Beech Bonanza). Many more followed after those for both of us.Let me first say that I doubt this post was the last we'll hear from you. By releasing many repaints and other add-ons for FS you've proven you do like to make them. I am also pretty sure you still like to do the actual paintwork, or making timetables. It

Guest psouthan

Hello Brent, I am very small fry in the flightsim community but if you go they win. Don't give up and leave there are still good fellow simmers around like myself I hope. I have sometimes been astonished myself at some of the comments made by some in here but seriously, if you give up they win. Don't let them we need the likes of you here. By the way, thanks to all who have contibuted to this community, I have given zilch, not because I haven't wanted to , but because I haven't got the brains! Any one out there willing to show me how to make and share photo-real textures? I'd love to know how to do that so I could give something back.Paul

I hate to see you go, Brent, but I agree with you 110%. The community, the spirit, and the attitude of old IS gone. Da mned shame, too.Don

Guest FxF3

This was what was killing the combat flight sim community the vocal few.Thanks Tom for this post. We need a wake up call before a few run off all the great talent that the FS community has given us. Thanks all for your hard work both the freeware and payware group, and AVSIM.

Guest kickin_chicken

I think everyone has to remember that business is business, and you need thick skin in business or you won't succeed. But on another note, Flight Sim is a hobby for consumers, and like any hobby, there will be a mix of 'good' apples and 'bad' apples. Luckily, in our hobby, the 'good' apples outnumber the 'bad' apples by a HUGE margin. It may not seen apparent in online forums or emails, but the VAST MAJORITY of flight simmers never post negative comments in public forms, even when they have issues with software they spent money one. This is called the Silent Majority, and it exists in business and politics and elseware. I am sure that any company, even flight-sim-exclusive companies, understands that when money is involved, people 'expect' certain things, valid or not. Companies must have thick skin to repel unwarrented criticisms. This is simply part of business.Regarding freeware, these developers also need thick skin, although in my opinion, critical comments about free software should be strickly constructive. There is no reason to 'beat up' on anyone who donates time, money or energy to this hobby in the form of freeware or free web sites.

Guest tg272

>Tom Allensworth (from a much earlier post) said:>>EDITED TO ADD MORE FROM MEMORY>>Brent, the AVSIM team and I appreciate your kind words, and of>course, you are correct - I and others on the team have never>made a cent off of AVSIM. Hi, Tom -Please take this in the context it was meant. I think now, what with incorporation of the AVSIM Store, a clarification is needed to let members and guests know exactly how AVSIM does or does not benefit financially from sales. I bring this up because in today's front page there's an ad asking that FSX be pre-purchased through the store ostensibly to "support AVSIM".So many of us respect the amount of time, effort, and money you've expended over the years, I don't wish to tarnish that at all. Actually, if I thought that the store somehow were structured to reimburse expenses only for AVSIM's operation (in a not for profit way), I'd be lining up to purchase all my payware material through it. If the AVSIM Store is a for-profit organization, then I also have no problem with that at all, except that it shouldn't be advertised as supporting AVSIM per se.Cheers,Bart

The AVSIM Store has been part of us for years. Having said, the percentage from sales that we receive goes right back into our operating fund. As has been the case since the beginning, no one on AVSIM staff is paid and all funds received are used to pay our expenses. So, the story on the front page is accurate; sales of FSX will go to support AVSIM operations.