Sign in to follow this  
Guest CapnCol

Imminent computer meltdown

Guest CapnCol

If I make a back up of all my existing flight sim files/folders etc and then uninstall FS2002, can I simply copy all the previous files/folders and have everything back the way it was? Or do I have to install them all as I did when I first purchased/downloaded them.The reason I ask, is that my computer has displayed some disturbing symptoms which I think is due to a faulty RAM module and some corrupted windows os files. As a result, I may have to reformat my hard drive and start afresh, thus losing all my beloved flight sim addons. I'm not looking forward to that.Have I got to "bite the bullet" and install everything or will a back up be sufficient.Any help/advice would be gratefully appreciated.ThanksColin

Hi Colin,If you have enough diskspace somewhere (more drives on one disk ?) and if you are sure that your FS2002 files are OK:Just make a zip file of the entire FS2002 folder with subfolders.Format your drive, and re-install FS2002 at the same location.Now unzip the backup file, hereby overwritting the just-installed fs2002 files.Rob

Guest CapnCol

My hard drive is 38gb (10gb used-4gb of flightsim stuff) and I don't have it partitioned or another drive. My intention was to write each folder onto a cd and then reinstall from the cd, essentially overwriting the re-installed FS2002.I am hoping it will work.Colin

Guest ba747heavy

Colin --Ouch, sorry about your computer troubles. You should be able to write the files onto a CD. No problemo. I do it all the tme, but I only back up my add-ons. In fact, I am working on buring 4 or 5 CD's of FS stuff(It has been a month or so from my last backup :-)) That would bring my total up to 10 or 11. All I do is unzip the files, and install them to a direcotry that isn't the FS directory(I have accurate file structor), so that when I am done, all I have to do is copy the whole CD into the FS direcotry when I re-install FS.Clear Skys

Guest CapnCol

Thanks for the replies, but it looks like fate may have a hand in this now. I had got my cd's ready switched on my pc and got lots of beeps and nothing else. Looks like it's going to go to the menders anyway and all I can hope is that it is not my hard drive that is the problem.Good job I can access avsim at work, I'll be looking at the screenshots longingly now. Colin