Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Brand new rig won't run FS! A7V8X Mobo, Geforce 4

Hi,I just built my first rig and I cannot get FS2002 to run more than 10 minutes without freezing, locking up, or just closing automatically.Here are the specs:-Asus A7V8X mobo-Athlon XP 2200+-Corsair 512MB DDR3200 RAM-Gainward GeForce 4 4200Ti with 30.82 drivers from Nvidia-Western Digital 80GB HD-420W power supply-DirectX 8-Windows XP home-Newest 4.42 4-in-1 drivers-New BIOS (1006)SP 1 is not installed.I usually can get into FS, fly for about 10 minutes, and then I'll get a wierd checkered-color pattern. It is completely locked up, I have to do a hard reboot. Other times I can CNTL-ALT-DEL and get out of it. Sometimes the program just closes without warning. I have no other problems with any other apps. I have reinstalled FS2002 after updating Nvidia drivers, tweaked with the BIOS, worked with GPU from guru3D, etc. It has to be a conflict or something... I never exceeded 50 degrees C due to a large heatsink and cooling fan.I am at a dead end. I simply just don't know what else to try. It is frustrating since it works for a while then locks up... sometimes right away, sometimes later. Seems like it runs longer before locking up with default or GMAX aircraft. Is there some BIOS or other driver that I am missing? I will use my digital camera to take a screen shot since it is locked up like Ft Knox.Thanks for any and all...

Guest jase439

Try turning AGP sidebanding off. You will need a utility like PowerStrip, NVTweak, or RivaTuner to do this.You can also do the brute force method...look under:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlVideoYou'll see a bunch of hairy-looking identifiers (GUID's) that look like {BDAB454C...}. Underneath these you'll see an entry 0000. You'll have to browse through here for your GeForce4 card (caution: there may be more than 1 reference to your GeForce4 if you've installed more than one driver for it in the past). When you do find it add a new DWORD called EnableAGPSBA and set its value to 0.Personally, I recommend you use one of the above utilities unless you are really comfortable poking around in your system registry ;-)J

Guest nutmeat

Don't know if this is of any help but when I would overclock my Athlon XP2000+ too far, but within it's stated speed limits, I would get a similar reaction from FS2002 Pro on the ASUS A7V333 MoBo. I am now running my processor slightly over its default speed without any problems.Check your BIOS settings to at least start with the basic speed (Sorry, I don't know what that is for the 2200). You might also check and try different settings for the memory timings. Also check if you are running the Graphics card at AGP 4X.nutmeat

Probably heat. Take the case cover off and try it for awhile.

Guest RiddlePilot

If you've overclocked your core memory at the low level, it may cause artifacts. I had this issue once with my card. I was seeing what looked like huge red/green/blue pixels that would shimmer all over my screen. Cutting back the core memory to about +10% of factory default took care of this.

Guest WorkingStiff

Nice rig!Sounds like a memory problem. I'm assuming you have two memory modules. Try moving the modules to slots 1 and 3. Some memory modules don't work correctly when placed in adjacent slots.

Guest jase439

If none of the ideas here should work, open a window on a humid day and sprinkle a small circle of finely-granulated sand around your monitor. Cover the CPU liberally with bat guano and horse hair and while waving a small blue crayon incant, "bippety-boppety-boo!"