Sign in to follow this  

another one on MSFS 2k4

hello fellow simmersi remember reading somewhere that the "good" versions of msfs always skip one. why ? because microsoft launches an edition to "check how things are" and then launches a version with a few extra items and all the bugs/errors of the previous fixed.remember frame rate comparing 2k to 2k2? a huge difference.what have we recieved extra on 2k2. ATC if you want to call it that and possibly new panel operations and functions. I am not an expert but that's the way i see it.of course that hardware allows much more than 2 or 3 years ago but how much true is and i restate that i read it somewhere, probably here, that microsoft's editions follow a cycle of "not so good/improved and good" in a matter of speaking.I have no whatsoever intention to harm microsoft, after all, if it wasn't for them would avsim.com ever existed, if you know what I mean.all i want to hear is expert opinions on how worth it is buying the new msfs 2k4.thank you allnice flights and safe landings

Hi :)Don't get it until it's been released for at least a month, then you can see people's comments, and decide whether it's worth buying. I won't get FS2004 for a good while: FS2002 is pretty good, and I am aware of the good/bad cycles that MSFS goes through.http://www.aavirtual.com/images/aav2207_banner.gif

> and possibly new panel operations and functions. I >am not an expert but that's the way i see it. I don't think I'd call the FS2002 virtual panels with working gauges----- just possible "new panel operations and functions". Perhaps you wern't even thinking of the VC's. The VC's themselves (with later add-ons) have evolved into one of the most fascinating and realistic uses of MSFS in my opinion.I think your comparison between the two simulations is rather shallow and leaves out many of the improvements of FS2002 over FS2K....which itself was quite an improvement over FS98. It's obvious that the every other edition argument hold no water!L.Adamson ---- self appointed expert!! :)

you are rightthe point of my post wasn't comparing 2k with 2k2.simply I asked for expert opinion on the good/bad cicles I remember reading somewhere.If you say that 2k2 is well improved over 2k, well then 2k2 must be the good cycle as I assumed.as for 2k being much better than 98, true, but WHICH ONE WORKS BEST ?that was my point.thank you self appointed expert.Pedro Leite

>If you say that 2k2 is well improved over 2k, well then 2k2 >must be the good cycle as I assumed. >as for 2k being much better than 98, true, but WHICH ONE >WORKS BEST ?that was my point. >FS98--- frame rates good, "flat world" topography and lack of airports in higher elevation areas equaled "bad". "Cubes" for clouds too! The sim was generally non-useful for IFR flight in elevated areas west of Denver.FS2K---- MSFS began using real world mesh elevation sceneries. Far more airports with usually accurate elevations. Improved airplane and scenery graphics, including use of the four seasons for weather. In general, the sim was a vast improvement of FS98, but it suffered from scenery morphing, elevated lakes/roads/rivers, and worst of all for some............... the dreaded "stutters".I'd have to call both FS2K & especially FS2002 "mega" improvents over FS98. Both of these sims added a lot that FS98 didn't have! But then, according to my thoughts, the "every other version" theory just doesn't work.. L.Adamson

thank you for your opinion on the good/bad cyclesstill, ill wait a couple of months before buying msfs 2k4.however, from your words, i would say that fs98 works better than 2k altough 2k is much improved, mainly visually and on accuracy of navigational detail.Pedro

ill buy it the first day it comes out and then install it immed. but still keep 2k2 just in case....ciao!Brian S

Ciao!

Guest Delta_747

Isn't this only true for the last three versions?It may not follow this pattern. Who really knows?Hey it could be the most frame friendly FS ever. I guess we will see in the Fall of 2003.

Hi,I do not subscribe to the theory of every other FS version is good and bad either. Each version to my mind has improved on the one before. Allowing for the odd bug in each version which does not therefore make each a rotation of good then bad.Each has improved on the version before it due perhaps for two main reasons.1) The power of computers [as a machine] has improved and become cheaper in real terms as time has passed.2) Programmers have learnt new ways to programme and include new items when makeing each new version.But in a way these two are interlinked with each other.It depends what you require from a version of MSFS and more importantly what you are planning to do with it. Each of us has our own thoughts and requirements, some fly for a VA, many do not, some are big jet boys, some prefer single engine GA, IFR or VFR?. Good scenery and airports or good aircraft model and panel........and so the list is as long as you wish to make it.So long as your happy with what version of MSFS [or in fact what Flight Sim] you own, and it fulfills your needs and requirements thats all that matters. In my own case I spent many happy years with MSFS 98, it did all I required [i fly for a VA] and it met all the requirements set by the VA. I went straight from 98 to 2002 only for the simple reason that after six years my computer died and I bought a new one. Is 2002 better than 98 of course it is, does that mean 2000 was a bad version of course not, 2000 was [from what I have read] much better than 98, of course it had some bugs but 98 and 2002 has some bugs.Will I buy 2004 hopefully not, 2002 will do me until its time to buy a new computer maybe then we might be on version 2006 or even if I am very lucky 2008.RegardsPeter.

I'll probably be waiting a couple of months to buy FS2004 after it's released. It might have some major downsides, like no support for older FSDS a/c or something, but who knows, it could be an amazing release. I just want to hear some other people's opinions on it before I blow $75+ on it ;).