Sign in to follow this  
Damian Clark

Active Sky 1.0 problems

Greetings to the author of this utility, you are definetly on the right track. However, in addition to the bugs and problems mentioned earlier on this forum, I have found a few more.The program doesn't seem to understand METARs from automated stations (most of them are automated) which add the word AUTO to the beginning of the code. The windspeed and dir come after that but the program interprets it as an error and set winds to zero.I tested the program on several airports around Finland and found that it most cases, it sets the weather incorrectly by picking up a METAR from a nearby station. For example EFOU has EFKE weather (these stations are 60 NM apart), even when EFOU METAR would be available. The same with many other stations, eg. EETN -> EFHF weather, EFHA -> EFJY weather. I checked the coordinates from the ICAO list and they seem to be correct. Anyone else experienced these?

Hi there,The AUTO problem has been fixed in v1.1 as well as the other issues folks have had.As to the problem of incorrect 'closest' station, I think this may be related to that specific region. Someone in beta had the problem also but nobody could duplicate. He was trying at EHEH and vicinity.What is your OS and which language setting are you using?-Damian

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

You've got me interested!Does this program provide better weather transitions than the default real weather (especially cloud cover)?

Hi,Yes it does... It does not have a transition logic feature but it does keep the weather updated as real-time as possible through NOAA METAR data. These reports can be up-to-date as much as within a minute of the actual weather, but average about an hour. But with updated weather that comes directly from the NOAA you won't have outdated data that causes strange and sudden weather transitions.In essence, it keeps the weather consistent, but it does always switch to the closest station (unless you have DESTINATION forced and within range) and this update of weather between stations can cause the weather to change instantly. This is a function of how METAR reporting works. ActiveSky helps by keeping that weather more consistent (to actual conditions) so the changes are less drastic.Hope that helps!-Damian

Damian Clark

>As to the problem of incorrect 'closest' station, I think this may be related to that specific region. Someone in beta had the problem also but nobody could duplicate. He was trying at EHEH and vicinity.>>>What is your OS and which language setting are you using? >>-DamianHi, thanks for your quick answers. (-:I'm using W98 SE version 4.10.2222 A English version. Hope you get that solved soon as it seems to affect most airports around here..Also, this might sound a bit stupid but are you sure there's not an error in the IE issue repair directions on your page? It says that need to copy oleaut32.dll into c:windowssystem32 folder but at least on my system that file is located in C:windowssystem.Just to be safe before I start messing with them system files again :-lol

Hi,I will have to put in some runtime debugging routines and have you run this debug version on your system, so we can figure out whats going wrong with the distance calc. I'll get that done soon..The oleaut32.dll issue actually is gone now, the 1.1 install apparently fixes all prior problems... Those instructions were for those who were still 'broke'.Does the distance calc work right anywhere else for you? Try the US for example...Thanks!-Damian

Damian Clark

>Hi, >>I will have to put in some runtime debugging routines and >have you run this debug version on your system, so we can >figure out whats going wrong with the distance calc. I'll >get that done soon.. >>The oleaut32.dll issue actually is gone now, the 1.1 install >apparently fixes all prior problems... Those instructions >were for those who were still 'broke'. >>Does the distance calc work right anywhere else for you? >Try the US for example... >Hello again,Some bad news and then some good, bad ones first.1. I installed version 1.1 on top of the old 1.0, and still have the IE problems. So the fix instructions are still needed, I believe you removed them from your website.2. The distance calculation seems to malfunction everywhere. In addition to Finland, I have tried it in Europe and US with similar results. It seems to work on most of the bigger airports but smaller ones pick their weather from a station some 50-100 NM away.Examples: EETN - EFHF wx, LGPZ - LGRX wx, KRYY - KRMG wx, KRBD - KDTO wx and KONP - KJNW wx.3. The good (or bad take your pick) news is that I'll be moving on to Windows XP tonight (in a few hours) so unfortunately if it's OS related, I can't help you debug the problem.Thanks for your help anyway,

The fix for IE problem from 1.0 install:-Uninstall Activesky v1.0-Download http://members.cox.net/dzc66/oleaut32.dll and put in c: drive-install latest vb runtime files from microsoft (search visual basic runtime) - get the distribution pack (curr. sp5)-Reboot in MSDOS mode-copy c:oleaut32.dll to c:windowssystem-All fixed.. now reinstall v1.1-DamianP.S. you are the only report of distance calc problem so far. I am making a debug build for you. Please contact me at dzc66@cox.net and I will send it to you when ready.

Damian Clark