Sign in to follow this  

Spin's in 172

Hi,i have a question about the spin accuracy for the flight model of the cessna 172 in fs2002.Everytime i try and put it into a spin it just start's fluttering all over the place, goes upside-down and all sorts of crazy stuff.the incipient stage is correct but once it goes fully developed things get crazyI was just wondering if anyone knows of a tweak to the flight model config to get this bird to spin a bit more accuratlyThanks for your reply'sgood flying

I'd suggest you start looking at the recently released SF260 Marchetti if you want a plane that spins correctly in FS2k2.

Bert

As Bert mentioned in reply #1-------------- get the RealAir Simulations SF260. It's the only plane for FS2002 that I know of, that enters a spin correctly without cheating with aileron. It breaks quickly at the stall with full rudder, and then farther develops into a tight spin if you let it. You can even do authentic hammerheads, tailslides, inverted spins and snaprolls. The only un-authentic part of this is lack of nausea, vomiting, and headaches!! But "active camera" can help with nausea :). The developers spent hundreds of hours perfecting the spin, and achieved very worthwhile results!!L.Adamson

"I point to the fact that the tips never really stall. You can still use the ailerons to bring up a low wing well into a stall"HI Danny,That is because the SF260 has deflectors in the aileron path (you can see them when you look over the wings on our model - they show up on the forward part of the tip tanks). The deflectors keep the laminer flow over the aileron surfaces even though the rest of the wings are in a stalled state. Hence, you CAN control the real SF260 in a stalled state with ailerons, as you can with ours. In answer to other points about spinning in FS, we are pretty certain no other aircraft gets anywhere near a spin, and the SF260 is the only FS aircraft that spins with ONLY rudder and elevator inputs. Inputting aileron makes it a spiral dive, not a spin.Kind Regards,Rob YoungRealAir Simulations

Guest jmarcure

snaprollsTry as I might they elude me. I thought it was me, decided it was the plane and now I guess it is me. I havn't tried inverted spins. Did try outside loops, inside loops, real bad loops, tails slids and hammerheads. Great plane, the first side slip I did brought me back to my real flying days. I just love my SF260.I'll keep it up as I'm sure I'll get itsooner or later.Jon

I'd love to see a Rob Young dynamic for the 172! The one I'm using (pretty sure its Steve Smalls but can't be certain) seems to lack rudder authority. In steep turns full rudder still results in a skid. Are there any other flight models out there that offer more rudder authority?BevanNZKK

Please Rob Please!!! WE are begging you to do a dynamic for the 172. Please please.If others feel as I do then post here.If enough voices are heard then perhaps Rob will do one for us.

Robin

Rob and others did an excellent C172 for the original Fly! sim. It was so good (I was taking flying lessons then) that it was all I would ever use to emulate the day's training in the real thing. I would agree with others here- a C172 for FS2002 woulld be great (now that Rob has shown us it can be done :) ).Bruce.

>I'd love to see a Rob Young dynamic for the 172! The one >I'm using (pretty sure its Steve Smalls but can't be >certain) seems to lack rudder authority. In steep turns >full rudder still results in a skid. Are there any other >flight models out there that offer more rudder authority? >I'm using the default 172 with Ron Freimuth's air.file. I don't think Steve Small created one for the FS2002 172. In my own experience, using rudder pedals and the defaults settings, I can hold a co-ordinated turn with rudder past 60 degrees. I can also do 360's in both directions with rudder and elevator only. I guess my "settings" still leaves enough power in the rudder. If I wasn't using pedals, I'd probably have the sensitivity turned down too much, because I find the sim to be sensitive otherwise. With pedals, it feels about right.L.Adamson

>Please Rob Please!!! WE are begging you to do a dynamic for >the 172. >Please please. >>If others feel as I do then post here. >If enough voices are heard then perhaps Rob will do one for >us. I don't feel the same. As I remember, Rob spent about 500 hours on the spin/stall characteristics of the SF260 alone. It has made this aircraft unique in the land of MSFS flight dynamics!At this point, RealAir Simulations has evolved into a "payware" enterprise due to the tremendous amount of time involved; and I don't think the Cessna 172 is "exciting" enough to spend many more hours on flight dynamics, or borrow from the SF260. Of course, that is my opinion................ As a payware????? L.Adamson

Guest Sabadin

The only thing I've ever not liked about the default 172 was the lack of a cowling for visual reference and the flaps seem to add too much drag. I just tweaked a few settings using FSEdit and adjusted my stick settings and am now very happy with the 172. Besides, the real 172 is a pain to get into a real spin anyway.

Hi Bevan,I think Ron Friemuth did an airfile for the C172, and so as not to "tread on his toes" I have avoided tweaking the C172, but I did do a reasonably authentic C182 for FS2002, which also comes with free metallic textures (by Sean Moloney). This is available from our freeware page at www.realairsimulations.comConverting the SF260's spinning capabilities to another aircraft is not a simple task. It would take a long time.However some time in the future I may have a go at the 172, but I doubt whether I would make it spin, though it is possible, in time.Kind Regards,Rob Young