Sign in to follow this  

Spin's in 172

Hi Rob,It's almost impossible in real life to make one spin too :) (at least the one I fly).Bruce.

Spin a 172? Fun, fun, fun.Do a power-on stall (use only 2000 rpm) and when it breaks pull all the way back and add right rudder (to spin right).Goto a local flight shop and spend $60 doing it in real life, you'll love it!! And you'll make some poor instructors day!

Guest Sabadin

I still prefer spinning a 150 instead of a 172. Much less hassle :)

I agree. Did my spins for my CFI in a C-152. My first time in one (did everything in a 172 before). When we took the active and added full power I said, "That's it?!?!"

>Do a power-on stall (use only 2000 rpm) and when it breaks >pull all the way back and add right rudder (to spin right). >>Goto a local flight shop and spend $60 doing it in real >life, you'll love it!! And you'll make some poor instructors >day! I think the instructor will enjoy that as much as one...... who told me of a "Discovery Flight" student pulling the yoke full aft during the flare! :)L.Adamson ----- glad I always had parachutes during intense spin training!! Still wondering if I could push away from an un-recoverable inverted spin in the Pitt's, or would the plane just keep falling on me??????

If my FBO ever found out that you did a spin in one of their rental planes, i.e., you came back with all the gyro instruments messed up, THAT would be the last time you ever rented one of their planes!!I done all my spin classes in a C152 that was set up for spin class, all the gyro instruments disconnected.

Messed up gyros from one spin?!?! Nah!An FBO that gives lessons should have one airplane that is designated for spins.Something fun to do is follow a CFI in spin training and watch the spin from the side in another airplane. Fun!

>>An FBO that gives lessons should have one airplane that is >designated for spins. >During the course of my private pilot flight training at four different FBO's, I never was introduced to a spin, nor did I hear of any training aircraft set aside for them. I doubt a plane for spins is standard at most FBO's. According to my 1979 Cessna 172N manual, spin training is approved within certain loading restrictions, such as no passengers in the back seat. Doesn't say anything about "tumbling" attitude indicators. My spin training took place later in conjunction with aerobatics in a Pitts. We did them just about everytime we flew. It's been too long since I took the aerobatic course to remember just what kind of G's and manuvers that cause the instruments to fail. L.Adamson

Yes Larry- spins in the C172 is prohibited unless the aircraft falls into the "utility" category, which as you say is a very restrictive W&B config.My CFI did try to induce a spin when I was recovering from a stall, he could never get it to drop a wing though (by using rudder alone). However, my very first stall (in a C152, which I will never forget)developed into an incipent spin from my lack of correction for p-factor, until the CFI (with huge grin on face) recovered. It had the desired effect, I will never forget that day as long as I still fly!Good thread,Bruce.

Don't be alarmed. In the RW a 172 will not do a true spin.That comes straight from the FAA inspector that gave me my PPL check ride in 1974 and I doubt if the aircraft has changed that much since then.I will get into a pretty good spiral but in the true sense of the word it WILL NOT spin.Also check the manual, it is not approved for acrobatic maneuvers anyway.BobGATP, CFII, type rated Citation, Westwind, Gulfstream, Rotorwing Helicopter, SE, ME

FYI for a private pilot's license you do not have to do a spin - only learn about recovery techniques, however for your CFI you have to have a spin endorsement (i.e. go up and recover from one).One of our instructors stated that he did spin a 172. Cool, fall day doing power-on stalls with a student. The student refused to add right rudder so he let it develop. The student then added right rudder after that.Keep in mind 152's and 172's recover from spins the same way: let go of the yoke. They are designed to fly not fall and they want to stay in the air. Also, weather does play a part. I was doing a BFR in a 182 and the plan would not stall at all (you need to stall the airplane before a spin can happen). It would just "hover" there at 35kts and 20deg of pitch.Curious: For your type ratings do they do any spin recovery techniques?

True the 172 will not do a true spin. Seems some folk here are getting confused between the stages of a spin i.e incipient, entry and developed spinIf either wing at the point of stall loses it's lift prior to the other wing it will cause the Aircraft to roll ( called wing drop when talking about stalling )This drop of the wing causes the relative aiflow entountered by the wings to be different and will cause one wing to keep stalling at a different time to the other and a situation of 'autorotation' is entered.... the spin.This stable autoratation stuation can take differing amounts of turns to develope between different types of aircraft and some never acheive it ( unless CofG is incorect or 'G' is applied to an out of balance turn or maouvere causing a more dramtic ' Dynamic Stall'The true spin can be identified by low airspeed and rotation that continues even after reduction of aft stick and pedal centering. To break the stall the stick will need to be moved well forward of neutral and opposite rudder applied, again some aircraft will need this input held longer than some maybe one to two turns of the spinThe yak 52 from a developed flat spin needs the stick moved full forward with inspin aileron and full oposite rudder, the spin continues after this input for up to 3 turns still flat. Then the aircraft enters a normal nose down spin and the aileron has to be taken out, rotation will continue for 1/2 a turn then stop at this point all inputs are centered and when sufficient airspeed is achieved a recovery from the dive is the order of the day.The C172 does not enter this fully developed stage of the spin. Do not be missled though... the incipient situation misshandled will hurt every bit as much when you hit the ground.Good spinning aircraft are normally ex military trainers, like the T6 the Chipmunk and in the UK these days the T67 Slingsby and the SF360 all true trainers.John

Guest tallpilot

You forgot the Pitts John. I've owned both an S-2A and An S-1T and flown them in competition and I have been a judge at the local and national level. In my opinion the Pitts does a better spin and snap roll than the monoplanes. It sure enters more crisply than the monoplane from a judges stand point.Ed Weber a.k.a tallpilot

Thanks Edyep, I forgot the Pitts It's a shame people moved to the larger composite structure monoplanes.John