Sign in to follow this  

Spin's in 172

>Thanks Ed >>yep, I forgot the Pitts It's a shame people moved to the >larger composite structure monoplanes. >Of course there are reasons for the Mono's, but at least they're still building the Pitt's at the Afton, Wyoming's Aviat factory.L.Adamson

They do not require spin recoveries......for one thing, I don't know of a civilian jet that is approved for spins (or any other aerobatic maneuver.)They do require recovery from unusual attitudes which can amount to something like a 30 degree pitch up and maybe 30 degree bank and throttles at idle while you are under the hood, Once the aircraft is in that attitude the ck pilot will say "you have the aircraft".They will not use the same scenario every time, next time might be just the opposite, nose down, power on to see if you can recognize the situation in time to prevent the "aerobatic" maneuver or overspeed. :-)I took the Gulfstream two week school and the check ride in their simulator. First time in the real aircraft was when we departed for home, me in the left seat. Main difference was the "g" forces, all else was just as advertised in the sim.

I took delivery on a Great Lakes back in the 80's in Enid, Okla.The builder was Champlin, the one that has the great museum in Mesa, Az.Before I left their chief pilot said that I might be challenged by a Pitts which of course was a much quicker a/c than the Great Lakes.He said that if I was, then get enough money on the table and he would sneak in with their newest prototype G. Lakes (only one was ever built) and we would clean his clock. :-))The factory had a G.Lakes with an Allison 400 hp turbine engine installed, now that was a bird!!400 ft. takeoff roll and then go vertical.BTW Their chief test pilot bought the farm during an airshow a year or so later, I think in a Chipmunk, but not sure.