Sign in to follow this  
Guest jase439

Roger Wilco Question...

Guest jase439

For those of you that use VATSIM and Roger Wilco together, do you use WAV or DirectSound recording? I was told that WAV recording w/ full duplex is the preferred method - but I am starting to question the wisdom in this. Lately, I have found myself constantly stepped on when transmitting - by pilot(s) and controller(s) alike - often several seconds after I start speaking. This makes me believe:1. I have bandwidth issues and people simply are not aware of the fact that I am transmitting.2. The RW server has bandwidth issues and people simply are not aware of the fact that I am transmitting.3. My WAV recordings are being cached entirely on my system until I have finished the full recording at which point my message is sent post-facto (i.e. my transmissions are not being broadcast in realtime). If this is the case, then am I really being stepped on or is this simply a bogus perception on my part and just an artifact of running with full-duplex enabled?What settings are you people using with RW? How does RW manage obvious latency issues, synchronicity, and simultaneous transmission?Thanks for any help.JPS. Someone also suggested that even though I'm running a broadband connection, I choose Slow Modem in the configuration options. Can anyone confirm/unconfirm this?

Guest flightpro08

I use Directsound. I've never had any problems with RW, and I've been using VATSIM for well over a year now. (Both controlling and flying.) The one time I did have a bit of problem was when I installed Windows XP and forgot to turn off the default fireware. Once I turned it off, I had no problems. One thing I recommend doing is getting second sound card and using it strictly for RW purposes. I use my motherboard sound for FS2k2 sounds and system sound and my PCI sound card for RW sounds. This combo has worked veryw ell for me.Ryan-Flightpro08 :-coolVATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designer-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

Guest jase439

I'm running RW on a laptop with some P.O.S. ESS Maestro3 sound chip. DirectSound isn't an option for me unfortunately as RW doesn't record properly with it.I suspect RW caches the wav file in memory (or on disk) and then shoves it out the pipe which is perhaps why I'm getting "stepped-on" as much as I am. Alas.J

Jason,I can confirm that you should select 'slow modem' no matter what kind of connection you have.There was a disussion on the vatsim ng some time back about this and the bottom line is if you set RW for something higher than slow modem you can screw it up for everybody.I can't remember the details but it is something to do with RW acting as a server; if you really want to know I sugegst posting to the vatsim ng at simflight.com.I run RW with .wav recording on (must try direct sound) and get no problems other than inconsiderate pilots :-), or lag.If you fly in busy airspace/airports there is a good chance that what you are experiencing is impatient pilots or general network lag.I guess the easiest way to check if it is the way you set up RW or external forces at work is to go to a quite airport and talk to ATC and see how quickly they respond.HTH

I use my motherboard sound for FS2k2 sounds and system sound and my PCI sound card for RW sounds. This combo has worked veryw ell for me.How do you configure the pci card to pick up only RW?Sherm

Guest jase439

The question I would like answered is WHAT happens to your WAV recording while it is being recorded. Is it cached in memory...on disk...and sent across the wire upon completion? Is it cached in chunks, or is it more or less streaming audio. Does futzing with RW's connection speed alter the buffer size and/or the behavior of how the transmission is recorded and sent along the wire.