Sign in to follow this  
badderjet

ActiveSky next version features

Hi all,Thanks to everyone for their wonderful comments about ActiveSky v1.1. I am glad it is useful and enjoyable for everyone!Soon I will be making a v1.2 release which will include a couple more new features and take care of any problems that come up.Then I will start on ActiveSky v2.0, which will have MANY more new features and be much more comprehensiveIf you have suggestions for this next version please share your thoughts!Some things currently on the list:-Offline and cycle file support-VATSIM surface weather download option-Actual winds aloft download around the world-Internal FS module interface (to use activesky directly in FS)-Improved cloud depiction logic for better visuals-Cloud layer transition smoothing feature-Flight plan capability (fsnav or FS)-Flight plan awareness with intelligent station selection-Improved METAR station selection logic for more consistent weather-FS Sky World integration for intelligent cloud graphic selection-FlightMax compatibilityThanks everyone! Keep those ideas coming!-Damian Clark

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies

Hi Damian, "FS Sky World integration for intelligent cloud graphic selection"You should email me about this before you write this here, it's a nice idea but I will release fs sky world se very soon, so you should wait a little for SE to see all the new clouds selection because we dramatically 100% change the weather visual in SE compare to fs sky world normal edition. Also if you want to interact with fs sky world, be sure thats your product will be always freeware and never payware?ThanksChris Willis[link:fsw.simflight.com/FSWMenuFsSim.html]Clouds And Addons For MsFshttp://fsw.simflight.com/fsw.jpg

Kind Regards
Chris Willis

Chris,Thanks for your message.The list of possible enhancements are put together from suggestions from ActiveSky users. They apparently want to see your wonderful cloud graphics change depending on ActiveSky's cloud type determination. I agree this would be a fantastic addition.I did not mean to offend you or the FS Sky World team by assuming you guys would be ok with users wanting our add-ons to work together. Note that this is a suggestion thread, not a 'feature list' thread. I would of course have contacted you before any planning or development occured. Sorry I guess I should have been more clear about this being suggestions only.I will thus retract the FS Sky World compatibility off the list of requested enhancements for now.If you'd like to work together on making our add-ons communicate in the future, just let me know.. I think your add-on is great and I, like many users on this forum, am not totally aware of your future development plans. If we can get our stuff working good together in the future then everyone will win! Thanks Chris...Best wishes,-Damian

Damian Clark

Damian thank you for the excellent weather program. My only wish list for future verisons is this: Can you give the user the option to have the scrolling weather text across the top of the screen enabled or disabled? Thanks

Guest sidewinder

Also I *think* ActiveSky doesnt add turbelence or icing in winds and clouds

Hi,Correct, ActiveSky doesn't do turb and icing in clouds yet. But you can enable FSUIPC's version of this which works pretty good. More intellegent turbulence and icing is coming...Also, the scrolling text, not a problem!-Damian

Damian Clark

Thank you sir... Again, excellent work....Cheers

How about full compatibility with Rada Contact v 3.0 ?Michael J.

Hi Damian,How about this:1. An option to set the update frequency.2. An option to only update on request (ie an update now button).By the way, your fix for the pressure problem worked perfectly. I did a 2 hour flight on line yesterday with no problems!

Hello Damian,When saving the weather, can you make it so the winds aloft are saved as well?Thanks.David

I'm really glad to see that Active Sky has been released. I haven't actually tried it yet but I will very soon. I've been following the furums and I really appreciate Damian Clark's openess, kind attitude, and responsiveness to the flight sim community. Until now I've been a happy FS Meteo (FSM) user. Now, I'm looking for a suitable replacement. Like Tim says, FSM definetly=$$$$$$. I received a notice from FSM the other day that a brand new version was out, but if I wanted it I was going to have to re-purchase it all over again because it had been a year since I purchased it the first time (Ouch)! Sure, it's the Authors perogative to make people pay every year, especially if it looks like their program is the only "game in town". I also appreciate the fact that it takes a great deal of work to author and update these programs.In closing I want to "tip my hat" to Mark Schilberg for his excellent "Hangar Manager" program and express my appreciation for his commitment to provide lifetime updates for registered users.Happy Jet Trails To Youflyking

I got that same notice from Mark, so no more upgrades for me. I never gave FSMeteo all the ravings people around here did. It was pretty much the same thing that "Real weather" for FS98 was and that was free. In the old days everything was freeware. Everyone with any talent contributed to the hobby. People rave about the new 727 that's coming out, but I had some great 727 airplanes and Paul Golding's excellent panel for FS98. Now I have to pay. Blahhhhhhhhh! Power to the people out there still contributing quality freeware. You're more appreciated than you realize.Tim