Sign in to follow this  

'Bugbear' virus - urgent help and advice please

Hi everyone,Item: Book1.xls.scrVirus name: W32.Bugbear@mmSorry this is a bit off topic but I was the recipient of this virus today via an e-mail. Fortunately Norton AntiVirus intercepted and I was able to quarantine and delete it before any harm was done.The source was my brother's computer and it appears I received it as I was on his list of contacts. Others on his contacts list have also been recipients and he was plagued with many phone calls this morning. Needless to say he seems to have been targeted from some unknown source but, you will understand, he is currently very anxious and worried about the whole matter particularly as he needs to access e-mailing facilities and the internet during the course of his business.The problem is he has an out-of-date virus scanner that has been disabled virtually from day 1 :( Perhaps a bit late he now realizes the utter folly of this critical omission and clearly he has been very lucky to have survived for so long without being a victim.There is a great deal of work-related data on his HD including masses of financial data which he normally backs up on an adjacent PC in the same office (the two machines are networked). Since this discovery he is reluctant to do anything for fear of spreading the infection further. He has been working on his PC for most of today and his system seems stable for now but I gather from Norton on my PC that this particular virus is potentially quite nasty and can destroy any infected programs. So, it appears this may not yet have happened on my brother's PC.What can he do at this stage to get/keep out of trouble. He has McAfie (?correct spelling) installed on his PC and the virus patterns are years out of date. I am assuming trying to update over the internet could prove hazardous as this virus could continue its evil doings were he to do so.The other worrying factor is that a scan with McAfie did not detect anything unusual. I have suggested that perhaps the best way would be to uninstall McAfie and in its place install, say, Norton Antivirus whic, hopefully would detect any infected files and give him the chance of putting them into quarantine. This, at least, would allow him to get back onto the internet and download the latest virus patterns.Any help and guidance with this vexacious matter would be deeply appreciated. I have to say this is the first time in many years of computing thatI have encountered a virus. Fortunately, I was prepared.Many thanks in anticipation,Mike

The source may not have been your brother's system. The bugbear virus employs "spoofing"...picking an address out of someone's address book at random to appear as the sender. Your brother's name could simply appear in the address book of an infected system, along with your own.I've been sent a few copies of this one. Some of the names I've seen are from people who would under no circumstances open an attachment--fellow IT Admins, as an example. They keep their systems patched against the security hole that Bugbear exploits--but they may appear in the address book of someone less informed.-John

The first thing I would do is associate .vbs extentions to notepad.exe. If you need this function you can always put it back or open the vbs file manually.