Sign in to follow this  

Sound goes funny in clouds

Hi! I'm fairly new to the forums, but I've been told that someone will be able to help me with my problem!Anyway, everytime I enter cloud in FS2002, the sound goes all choppy, however the sim is perfectly smooth. Also, the mouse does seem to stutter, as if it's in phase with the stuttering of the sound.How do I get rid of the stuttering as it's quite annoying and also affects the quality of the ATC transmissions in roger wilco whilst flying online.Thanks in advance, Rob.

Hi,Try turning down the quality of your sound within flight simulator. Clouds are pretty labour intesive on the old PC and so something has to give, in this case your sound quantity.You might also make sure that your hardware acceleration for you sound card may need adjusting, (up or down, just experiment).If this is complete gobly gook to you then just say so and I, or someone else will try and walk you through it.It may pay to leave your system specifations to help the hardware guru mob narrow down your problem, (Motherboard, memory, CPU, speed, graphic card, etc)Good luckMark Underwood(Adelaide, Australia)

Guest Niels_C

Hello Rob, and welcome!You could also download Peter Dowson's FSUIPC, availableat avsim I think, but also www.schiratti.com/dowsonIt is my impression that a great many simmers use thatnifty little utility, and I strongly recommend it.One of its features is to suppress cloud turbulenceand other wind, which particularly over the Paris regionis a killer, even on a beefy PC.Read the docs for FSUIPC carefully, and you'll make useof all the features in the right way in no time.Enjoy!-Niels Christiansen

Rob,I suspect you are running XP and have applied SP1 with the Nvidia 40.xx series of drivers. If so waiting for the WHQL drivers from Nvidia may cure your problem.Alternatively I may be barking up completely the wrong tree but posting your system spects my allow others to help.Keith Cocker

Clouds have been known to do that. Clouds are tiny bits of water/condensation that can be very reflective. Kind of like driving your car through a tunnel. What you need to do is wrap yourself with aluminum foil to reflect the sound away from you and back into the room. Hope this helps.Cas

Just to add to the thread. I am using XP with SP1 update and lastest NVIDIA 40. drivers. Lately (post SP1 and 40.xx) when I pass through clouds at the FL i'm in my sound gets static ot ticking noise. I am running 1.7 mghrz 256 ram. I noticed it most on the new Dash-7. I was able to clean up the sound in the Dash 7 alot by changing the sound files bits/mono etc. with MS sound recorder application. However the cloud seems to be a different issue. Paul

Guest Niels_C

Hi there,Some have turned down "sound acceleration" one notchin DirectX setup. Select run file from start-menu, thentype dxdiag. I have posted my own cure above, which includePeter Dowsons excellent FSUIPC.Good luck.-Niels Christiansen

I agree 100% with Cas. Wrapping yourself in aluminum foil will solve all your problems. It will also provide an added benefit of protecting yourself from alien (or government) mind control. No, I'm not kidding. Check it out yourself... http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html - Kenny B

I'd like to jump in here. This exact same thing is happening to me on a p4 2.4 with 256 megs of ram (Yeah, I know, the other 256 megs is still on the way) ;-).I just got the computer so am unsure if SP1 came with it? Does getting rid of this Service Pack help this problem out? I've already turned down my sliders a lot, actually more than I had to on a 500mhz system?? ;-) I've also turned down my sound excelleration and this problem not only effects my sound, but I can barely move my mouse around or pan while in spot plane mode. The frame rates stay fine, but it's like I'm running at 1/4 frame a second.I installed the 40.71 drives along with a few others before-hand to try and resolve this issue, but it was also happening with the 28.32 drivers that came with the card.Should i keep trying different drivers? Get a PCI Sound card? Get rid of SP1 if it's even installed (Not sure how I find out if it is or isn't installed)?Anyway, I'm glad this question was asked. I figured I just needed to wait for more ram.