Sign in to follow this  

ActiveSky vs WeatherMaker vs FSMeteo...

Guest abent

What's the difference. I was looking for smooth transitions in a weather program. I fly 1-2 hour IFR flights and WeatherMaker transitions were not exactly what I would call smooth - a few clouds, then suddenly really low vis. Plus, the wind direction would change on me at the last minute on final and I'd be sent to the reciprocal runway. Not complaining as there are features that I really like about WeatherMaker.For those of you using the new ActiveSky, how does it compare?Are transitions smooth?And ultimately, how does it stack up to FSMeteo?I want a really good program for weather with SMOOTH TRANSITIONS - and willing to pay, of course, if need be.Thanks a bunch,Adam:-)

I believe FSMeteo is the only one out there to smooth the transitions between weather stations. Also I have Flightmax which FSMeteo talks too. I can't give up my Flightmax!Cas

Guest jase439

Nothing against freeware efforts, but FSMeteo really gets the job done well and will likely remain the benchmark for this kind of add-on. There is still much room for improvement, even in FSMeteo, with interpolating weather between stations. The added competition is good, of course - things can only get better because of it.J

From what I heard (though I don't own FSMeteo) there is really no weather utility yet that would do weather transitions right. What apparently is currently happening that weather changes "around" you as a function of time rather than as a function of you flying into the new weather which is ahead of your current position. It is a subtle point but in fact the biggest weather change around an aircraft is not because of passage of time but because of change in position. There are still plenty of significant improvements like this waiting for their implementation. Michael J.

Guest flightpro08

In one word, FSMETEO. While the two other progrmas are the best freeware weather programs out there, you just can't beat FSMETEO IMHO. Well worth the money. :-)Ryan-Flightpro08 :-cool VATSIM Pilot/ControllerZLA ARTCC Controller 1 (C-1)SAN TRACON Lead [link:www.taxiwaysigns.com]Taxiwaysigns.com Scenery Designerhttp://members.cox.net/santracon/images/san_logo.jpg-----------------------------My "Home Made" System Specs:Intel Pentium 4 2.2GHz ProcessorTurbo Gamer ATX Mid-Tower with 420W Power SupplyEPoX 4G4A Motherboard with Intel 845G ChipsetVisiontek XTASY GeForce4 128MB Ti4600 (Det 29.42 WHQL Drivers)512MB PC2100 DDR RAM40GB Matrox 7200RPM Hard DriveWindows XP Home Edition SP1*No CPU or GPU Overclocking*3dMark2001SE Score: 11298

jerrycwo4I'm just trying Active Sky now. It has given me a new look in clouds that I have never seen before. When you go throught a layer of Stratus and your in the 'spot plane view', you see you plane and the whole screen is 'whited out' just like you would paste the plane onto a black "WORD document. Also going throught a stratus layer, a bit of the cloud goes in between you and the plane.(like the plane is being obscured by some of the cloud). It's differant. I do not have FS Metro.jerry

I bought FS METEO 5.2 like 2 weeks ago.....well worth the money!!No other one (right now) can reach the level that Fs Meteo offers = 1st place :-)Best Regards,Bruno Francescoli.Miami, FL.

What Michael J. wrote seems to be right on the money--all of these weather programs are a function of time rather than position. I haven't tried Weathermaker or FSMeteo, but I have downloaded ActiveSky and have used it on every flight since downloading it. I'm quite pleased with it. I wish I had the available dollars to purchase many of these add-ons, but since I don't I can make do very well with freeware that does the job right. If it doesn't, it hits the recycle bin and I live without. Just my two-cents.Regards,HarryKey West, FL

I have FSMeteo I think it works great, I really do, but now unfortunately I'm told I need to pay again for an update. I can't seem to get past this sick feeling I have knowing that there may be no end to it. I'm not sure for all it does that it's worth the cost in Canadian dollars. I don't know maybe I'm wrong(?), but for now I think I'll do my best to use and continue to support the new ActiveSky "freeware" program. Maybe with our support this program will fullfill all our expectations by the time FS2004's new clouds roll around.SteveCYYZ

Active Sky all the way.. Damian Clark has done just an outstanding job for the Flight Sim community. I'm very happy with version 1.2, and it looks like Damian plans on adding even more goodies to this outstanding freeware program. The support we've seen from Damian is just outstanding.... Do you ever sleep Damian?Thank you Damian... :-wave

Guest abent

Thanks for the many responses people!I have read very positive things about ActiveSky and fully intend to give it a try! :( Is there a date set for the release of the updated version of FSMeteo, or has it already been released?Thanks again, Adam

Guest jase439

Unless you need the extra features of FSMeteo 5.2, it isn't that much different than 5.1 - so hold onto your dollars until you have a compelling need to make the upgrade.I held off for some time, but the bottom line is: I use this software every single time I start my sim. It's an excellent product that works very very well and comes with first class support. That's such a rare find in software these days. I don't need the extra features, but for $15 it was difficult for me not to support Marc in this effort, especially since I had the birthday $ to spend.Cheers,J

I have used FSMeteo and been very impressed. It is human nature to defend your purchasing decision, however I am going to buck the trend here. I am now supporting ActiveSky due in part to the fact that you only get limited update support now from Marc. However, I suspect that this will change and Marc will be forced to go back to ongoing support in return for the $$$$$. Such is the nature of competition, which is great (from a consumers point of view) to see.But most importantly and most influential in my decision is the very simple fact that if I am to continue using the payware product, FSMeteo, MSFS2002 ATC will give me incorrect vectors on finals whereas the freeware product interacts wonderfully with ATC.Combine this with the planned features of ActiveSky (yes he still has a way to go with this product and a few things to iron out), it will be quite simple to work out which product offers the best value.

Guest waltch

I think FSMeteo is very good and well worth the price.The support by Marc is fantastic and it is the only FS-addon-software I know of where I get regularly the updates by mail from Marc.Walter