Sign in to follow this  
Guest emergency_pants

How do I get this card to work?

Guest emergency_pants

After some saving, I finally got around to buying a Ti4200, thanks for the info in earlier posts, Geofa! :)But I need some help:I'm having serious trouble installing a new PNY GeForce4 Ti4200 64mb AGP graphics card.My system:Windows XPMSI motherboard: 815EPT (MS-6337) (intel 815 chipset) Socket 370PIII 1ghz512mb RAM 133I currently have a GeForce2 mx400 64mb card and it works very well. The Detonator drivers I am using are the latest from the nVidia site.After uninstalling the GeForce2 and close the system, the reboot with the new card is fine before installing drivers. Then I re-install the drivers for the Geforce4. Everything is cool and I reboot... but then the system locks up. It locks just before the XP welcome screen with either a totally black screen (or after a scandisk with a screen corruption), which I assume is the first point during boot that the screen resolution and refresh rate is implemented. After about 1 minute, the system reboots itself.Windows Safe Mode then doesn't seem to work. So the only way to get my sytem up and running again is to replace the new GeForce4 with the old GeForce2 card and then everything springs back to normal again.I have returned the card and swapped it at the shop in case it was faulty, but I get the same problem, so I know it's not a problem with the graphics card itself.The confusing thing is that both cards use the Detonator Drivers, so I assume it's not a driver issue.I have uninstalled WindowsXP SP1 and that didn't make any difference.Can anyone advise me on how I can get this card working? Is it a m/b compatibility issue? BIOS? Windows XP re-install (aaaargh!) I have run out of ideas on this one.I need a clever person. Thanks in advance, Simon.

I am no expert but this is what I would try:Right after you turn on your computer after it has done the initial bios stuff and before windows starts hit the either function 5 or function 8 key-I can't remember which so just keep doing both.You will be presented with a menu-chooose the one that says boot in vga mode or something like that. (If that doesn't work try again and choose boot in last good configuration). When (if) the computer boots in vga mode try to uninstall your drivers (should/might be an entry in "add/remove programs). Reboot again in vga mode and then install the new drivers.As I say I am no expert but this has worked for me in the past.http://members.telocity.com/~geof43/Geofdog2.gif

Guest emergency_pants

Thanks Geof,I'll give that a go. It may be possible that there are some old bits of the my previous Geforce2 card installed.I forgot about the F8 on startup to forve VGA mode. That should provide me with a chance to play with the driver setups/deletes/installs.I still have a nasty feeling it might be something horrible like a BIOS thing or a motherboard incompatibility.Fingers crossed.Thanks,Simon.