Sign in to follow this  
mikesflight

Active sky and effect on Explorer

I installed the first version of active sky earlier in the week. Since then I have a problem with internet explorer 6. When I click on a hyperlink that opens a new window, the new URL isn't regisitered - I therefore left with a blank window. If I try the repair facility for IE, there is no change. On changing IE back to v5 everything works again, but when I then re-download and install either version 5.5 or 6, the problem re-appears. I remember reading something about a .dll file in the readme of active sky - could this be the cause of the problem. Unfortunately version 1 0f active sky has gone from the library and the latest version's readme doesn't mention about this.Has anyone got any ideas of how to fix this situation, or is the only solution to reinstall windows 98SE.Any help much appreciated.Regards

hi.I have the same problem with IE6. I downloaded the service pack from Micro$oft and it messed my IE completely :( Then I reinstalled my old IE6. Now it wont open a hyperlink in new window. Same with smaller popups without the address bar. Although this happened before I installed Active Sky so problem isnt propably there. Think I will try to install IE5 back again. It really sucks not to be able to open new browser windows. Thanks alot to Micro$oft. I also donwloaded Netscape which works well but some pages dont work with it. Jani

I had this problem, there are some solutions in the forum, search for What's Wrong in the Hardware forum or download mcrepair.EXE from Microsoft. You probably have the wrong version of Oleaut32.dll in Windows/System. Version 2.40.4518 seems to do the trick. John

>I had this problem, there are some solutions in the forum, >search for What's Wrong in the Hardware forum or download >mcrepair.EXE from Microsoft. You probably have the wrong >version of Oleaut32.dll in Windows/System. Version 2.40.4518 >seems to do the trick. >John Hi John, very Thank's for the info, i had the same problemThank's again:)Cobra01

Thanks for this. My version is 3.50.5014.0 Question is how do I get a copy of the version you suggest.ThanksAndy

I had this problem when I installed WeatherMaker. It used the same installer. A forum member found a fix for me and a few other people.."Same here. After installing Explorer hans the same...but, I have the solution for it Download this utility from MS.http://download.microsoft.com/download/msn...US/mcrepair.EXEIt fixes your problem.It looks like the program started a chain reaction on my PC. It has messed up IE, i am getting Ileegal Operations Eroor the whole time and my Norton Anti-virus seems to have been 'killed' after the install of the program. I am not saying that the author did this on purpose, maybe it's a coincidece or just a rare case where everything suddenly goes nuts on the PC. I am forced to format my HDD now because too many thing have been messed up. Oh well...time to get started on formating..i hope to be back here later tonight Take careMike"- Kenny B

Hi KennyA thousand thanks for this link. I have downloaded it and run it and it has fixed the problem.I have been using Netscape as my primary browser for the last three years (I run Win98) and after installing WeatherMaker, Netscape came up with Illegal Operation each time I tried to use it. Have removed Netscape entirely, installed IE 6.0 and still experioenced major problem (hyper-link) as discussed further up on this thread. I also had another major problem develop though. I couldn't type in the password to get into this site to respond because I was getting links to pop-up menus with typing letters like 'e' 'l' 'p' and it was driving me crazy. Have found a solution to that which was to install TweakUI off the Windows CD following a link from a newsgroup item:----------------------In TweakUI on the General tab, check "Prevent applications from stealing focus."TweakUI information and download link:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...b;en-us;Q237920Avoid problems when using TweakUI with WinME:1. Do not change the first icon (My Computer) on the Desktop tab2. Do not uncheck: Search Results on the Desktop tab3. Do not hide the Tweak UI icon on the Control Panel tab4. Do not uncheck: Show Control Panel on Start Menu on the IE tab5. Do not uncheck: Shell enhancements on the IE tab6. To move "My Documents" folder, right-click on the Folder, and clickProperties.-------------Although this relates to WinME I applied it to Win98 and am posting it here in case others have had the same misfortunes.My problems have been cleared up thanks to these contributions.CheersMike